Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

banding for busy traveler

I travel every week. Because of this, I eat out for most meals. (not all hotels have fridge or microwave). Has anyone else traveled as much and been successful?:help:

Hi Cherie,

I travel a lot for my job, too, and expect that it will just take lots of extra planning on my part to remain successful. I expect a couple of my staples to be the shelf stable tuna and salmon cups (Chicken of the Sea has some great ones -- lots of good marinades and flavors), sugar free Jello (for a little snack, if necessary) and Protein shakes. In fact, I am still on mushies right now and my refrigerator and pantry are loaded with portion controlled items -- from tuna and salmon to cottage cheese and sugar free puddng and Jello. The little cups are more expensive, but it is money well spent, in my opinion.

I plan to get into the habit of just ordering sides and Soups or moving my food around a lot on my plate, while leaving most of the portion uneaten when I have to dine out in restaurants with colleagues. I have opted to keep my band a secret for now, so I do not want to draw a lot of attention to myself throughout this process. I am confident that it can be done. I was on NutriSystem about a year ago and was abe to pull it off while I was on the road -- and it had a lot less flexibility than my band meals will have -- through good planning. I always pack more 'approved' foods than I ever will eat, just to make sure that I do not ever feel forced to make bad food choices.

I am off the road for a few weeks, but we shall have to keep one another posted of tips and secrets that we learn along the way for eating on the road.

Thanks for the info. I'm looking at getting banded in December. I will be off from traveling for 3 weeks at that time. Keep me posted on more tricks.

lol I don't travel, but my husband and I are very busy with work so we end up eating out a lot! I usually just order an appetiser or a cup of Soup. Or if you go chinese you can order a pint of broccoli chicken. Mexican you can order one small hardshell taco with a small side of Beans. American cuisine you can order cheese sticks, cup of soup, some places have a low cal plate like a chicken breast, cottage cheese, and a vegetable. Actually I find its easier to eat out than cook at home lol. Im not into cooking! Its more expensive but if you are used to eating out and traveling its not like you aren't already used to the expense. Some people avoid buffets because they feel like they don't get their monies worth after banding, but its been my experience that I enjoy them more so now. I get to put one bite of everything I like on my plate and feel totally satisfied! It makes me happy lol. Avoid scrambled eggs for Breakfast though lol, they don't go down for me or a lot of other people after banding! Over easy is fine for some reason. Omelets work good too. I think its because they have a mixed texture so it goes down easy. You just have to chew chew chew every bite for about a minute, or until whatever you are eating is really mashed up good in your mouth. Good luck with your banding! I wouldn't even worry about eating out if I were you :cool:.

My husband travels 100% for his job as a management consultant. He was banded March 2006 and so far has lost a little over 80#s.

He tends to order whatever he wants, but just doesn't eat much of it and he stays away from all of the goodies that the clients tend to have in the conference rooms during meetings.

I travel frequently and finding something to eat has never been a problem. I can eat everything I did before, I just eat less of it. Many things I choose to avoid because it's not worth the effort of chewing or hurts going down.

I travel and often order appetizers. I also always carry Protein Bars or shakes I can mix with Water in a pinch. It's easy to carry tuna in the pouches or find a grocery and purchase things once you get where you're going. Farther out, you learn to just order the chicken breast or the crabcakes etc. It's not as hard as one would think.