Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Incission opened!? *warning* graphic pic ahead

I had the same issues with 4 of the 5. The surgeon told me that my body reacted poorly to the stitches. Since I'm a guy I don't really care about scars but I was worried about infection. The doctors are treating it so it's been okay.

Mine did the same thing 3 weeks out. I watched for infection, kept it clean, and only cover it when I'm at work since I'm a hairstylist. Do not put any ointment or cream on it unless your doctor advises because it can trap in bacteria. It takes weeks to heal but it's healing from the inside out. Mine were deeper than yous and is finally starting to close 6 wks out.

I say have it looked at and get early treatment by a physician. And at least have it looked after jut in case. Again in person. At least something to assist in the Prevention

of scarring etc.

Good luck

Yes, be careful with it but I too do not see that it's infected. If it were red and swollen and oozing pus and serum then I'd be concerned. Ask the doc to be sure.

What probably happened is that the incision was not closed with stiches, staples or steri strips, or it WAS and split open by them being removed too soon. I had a cancerous growth removed that did this. My largest incision also was not stiched and I used steri strips once I got home. Their thinking, I guess was that there needs to be an opening to allow any possible drainage out.

The wound must heal from the inside out or it may abcess and THAT can get really nasty. Stiches, staples or steri strips keep the edges closer so the can heal together and therefore keeps the scarring smaller. The body is filling in the open area and you will likely have a broader flatter scar. The only way to get it fixed now is to let it heal a bit more then have a doctor recut it and THEN close it with stitches, staples or steri strips.

I am not a doctor so take my advice lightly... When I had my gall bladder surgery, I had an incision that was healing like that... It was the big one right under my bra band right on my sternum... My advice (an of course ask your dr, this is what mine told me) is to clean very well everyday and use antibiotic cream (you can buy OTC at CVS) and cover with a band aid....

That's exactly what mine looked like and it healed on its own just fine... My sister's looked very similar an age went to the doctor and they gave her an antibiotic and told her to wash it daily and it healed fine. Good Luck.