Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post Op - Day #4 need advice

So I had my surgery on December 10th and am 4 days out. I am still slightly in the "what did I do" stage, but don't regret my decision at all. I'm not able to sleep comfortably so I am a bit irritable, any advice on how to get a good nights sleep? I can't sleep on my side yet, well actually I'm too nervous to. In any case, I'm still learning (of course) and have found that everyday something gets a bit easier than it was the day before, so if anyone has any advise on the first couple of weeks of recovery and what they're doing to maximize Protein intake, I'd greatly appreciate it!!!

Hi, I was sleeved December 8th and have been sleeping on my side and even my stomach since I got home on Tuesday. It makes a difference being in your own bed. I was scared at first to turn over on my side so did it slowly and no problems. Sleeping like a baby. So very happy how things are going. Have not felt sick once, sleeping well. All meds are going down as normal. Have even eaten out twice, each time I have ordered the Soup as I am only on liquids and have eaten about a quarter of a bowl before being full. Keep going you will be fine. :)

Thank you saudi... maybe I will try sleeping on my side tonight...I'm just super nervous because of the incisions. I have luckily not been sick either and all my meds are going to normal as well. I appreciate your encouragement. You seem to be doing well, keep up the good work!!! :)

Hi Siren,

I have always hated sleeping on my back (-it seems to put my back out), so was very worried about being able to sleep on my side after surgery. It was a tiny bit painful when I tried (it seemed to pull a bit), but the nurses helped me, so it must not be dangerous; it's your tummy staples/stitches that you don't want to mess with, and they're not attached to your abdomen. What felt most comfortable for me was propping a pillow under my tummy when I laid on my side.

Hope that helps!

I second the tummy support pillow if you're a side sleeper. I actually set my pillows up like a horseshoe and slept in the middle. As long as I had support, I was good.

I slept in a reclining lazy-boy type chair for the first several nights. I sort-of treated myself like I had when I was pregnant - pillows sort of propping up my belly. It really helped.

My very large, three year old son came out in the middle of the night on my first night home and crawled up on me. Fortunately, I was propped in well enough that his weight wasn't totally on me. My mom was sleeping soundly in my bed and didn't hear me calling for her and I had to get up with my 40+lbs son and take him to her. I was fine but talk about taking it slow!

It gets easier each day - or it did for me!

What is the worry with the side and stomach sleeping? Is it the external incisions or is it the fear of the stomach (internally) kinking? Educate me please...

PS Newbie - go in 12/26 and would love to hear all the responses as well. I return to work 7 days post op.

Thanks for posting. Keep ya in my prayers... sister!

For me it was just the fact that it wasn't comfortable to sleep on my side for the first couple weeks. After that, I did it with some pillow support until I could lay normally without any pain or discomfort.

I just posted this in another thread. I'm a side sleeper too.

sleep is so important to recovery and lack of it can really have a negative impact on mood as well. I was having a hard time sleeping starting immediately after surgery. I just couldn't get comfortable. My mom suggested a body pillow and went out to Bed Bath & Beyond and got me one for less than $20. It changed everything. I sleep better than I ever did and think it is having a really positive impact on my recovery. My husband named the body pillow Steve. The three of us are very happy together

Heating pack helped me a lot. :) you'll be back to side sleeping soon. I was sleeved in the 5th and I am side/stomach sleeping

Wishing you wellness,

Sannah

Thank you SOOO much everyone!!!

Insecure, for me it is just paranoia I guess from having 4 incisions and the fear of ripping them open LOL even though I know that won't happen, then the fact that I have staples holding my stomach together too. I tend to freak myself out a bit LOL

Sannah, omg I don't know why I didn't think about the head pad sooner. Decided to pull it out last night and it has taken a lot of the kink out from my back. That thing was a saver!!

Hadouni, I originally thought I was going to use my lazy boy because that's what I did when I had my appendix taken out, but to me it just reminded me too much of how the hospital bed was shaped and I hated that hospital bed after the first day lol

Sissy, Gamer & Newkat, I think I will be purchasing a body pillow tonight!!! :D Thank you again everyone!

Thank you SOOO much everyone!!!

Insecure, for me it is just paranoia I guess from having 4 incisions and the fear of ripping them open LOL even though I know that won't happen, then the fact that I have staples holding my stomach together too. I tend to freak myself out a bit LOL

Sannah, omg I don't know why I didn't think about the head pad sooner. Decided to pull it out last night and it has taken a lot of the kink out from my back. That thing was a saver!!

Hadouni, I originally thought I was going to use my lazy boy because that's what I did when I had my appendix taken out, but to me it just reminded me too much of how the hospital bed was shaped and I hated that hospital bed after the first day lol

Sissy, Gamer & Newkat, I think I will be purchasing a body pillow tonight!!! :D Thank you again everyone!

Butiful.... Thx for including me need all the info I can gt. xo