Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Body Image

Time for another survey....

I asked the question the other day, "What are your top struggles" alot of the folks answered "Body Image"

For those of you who have "Body Image" struggles, can you be more specific about what those issues are.

I personally don't have this issue. I've lost 60 lbs and see myself as looking good even though I still have another 40 to lose. I think I have it in reverse. I see a much more skinny person in the mirror than what I really am. Does that make sense?

So please let me know how this effects your core being.

Thanking you wonderful people in advance!!

((HUGS))

~CoachCher~

http://divinetransformation.blogspot.com/

I've always been smaller in my mind than what my weight really is...I think it's because I have yo yoed so much with my weight. 130 or less for a year or two then back to almost 200, over and over and over.

I know 70# is really not much compared to the road ahead for some, but I have gained so much from this wonderful site, that when a topic really speaks to me I like to jump right in there....in fact, this site is quickly becoming an addiction!! :paranoid

I'm constantly quoting to DH the latest brilliance you guys are writing (he's banded too and used to be a BAAAAAD Bandster until I found this site and got him back on the straight and narrow) :cool:

Well put Lisa, "smaller in my own mind..." seems to be what I am too. I am always shocked at who I see when passing a mirror or seeing my reflection in a window. For me though, I think it is denial. When I know I've gained weight and I am not feeling good about myself I think I wall off thinking about what I really look like. If I had to face what I really looked like I know it would depress me big time. By not acknowledging it I can blithely go about my life without facing up to reality of my body image. This only works until I have some social function to attend and then I am thrown into a kind of self-loathing because I can never find anything to wear and have to cobble something together to get by. :cool: Psychoanalysis anyone?

Terri

I love this topic! I love it because I struggle with it!! When I was at my heaviest, I didn't think I was as big as I really was...knew I was really fat, but pictures just shocked me! Now that I am almost 100 pounds lighter, I often think there is no difference in what I looked like before. Of course, I SOMETIMES can see it in pictures, but still see a fat girl. In fact, I just bought a new sweatshirt for running and bought a men's 2X, thinking it would be tight but I would shrink into it. I put it on and it was huge on me....I was dumbfounded! It's that whole image issue which makes me glad I have a band and can lose my weight more slowly than with a bypass. I don't think my brain could have handled a fast weight loss...I would have honestly been one who regained weight after a bypass.

Loving my band!

Rose:)

I'm the same as you, I think I see myself as skinnier than when I am. These days when I see a photo of myself it actually matches the image I have in my head, I dont think "oh, goodness, I AM thin". But when I was at my highest weight, I didnt see how fat I was, for sure. I still saw what I wanted to see.

And I hear you on the social functions. I managed to avoid all reality until something formal would come up and then it'd be tears and tantrums and refusing to go. I still dont like those, lol. I'm just not 24 and gorgeous anymore, boohoo.