Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

LOL Hello, I hear ya! I love oprah to peices but, she's more relatable to when she isn't feeling perfect. When she's skinny, she really does forget us fatties lol. Still love her anyways though lol. And omg I totally remember her scarfs too! Im always trying to figure out her eye-makeup, I love how her eyes are done. OMG and don't even get me started on her hair! LOVE IT! I wish I could get my hair to look like that, im sure we all could have hair like that though if we were worth a billion bucks lol.

Like yeah!! I could look like that if I had a million bucks. Having a hair dresser and make up artist follwing you around, yeahh. She don't know how to walk in heels. Her shoes are for sitting only. LOL Did you see her when Bono was there. Her jeans did not fit right and her shoes were too pointy and she coudn't walk. Whoever dressed her that day need to be poked in the eye.

Can we say MEOW. Stop picking on poor Oprah. :cool: Most of us will be preening around once we lose our weight. If you want to pick her apart, most days she doesn't dress that great. Some of those outfits on the road trip should have been burned. I do like her hair, but I've never liked her taste in clothes, fat, thin, or average.

She has always been positive about her weight and her journey. She has tried to lose and failed just as many times, all in the public eye. She replaced her addiction with food with exercise. I think she could relate yesterday to the addictions.

When you are trying to get "healthy" you surround yourself with people of like mind. You don't continue to associate with people that don't have the same "values". I really don't think her money has anything to do with her values. She remembers being poor and enjoys her wealth. Wouldn't you?

I completely agree barb; BUT I don't think I would look down on other people who are stuggling with weight in thier own ways. Like when Oprah looked at the last guest with surprise and said "YOU were a NURSE at 300 lbs?!" I felt that was not only insensitive, but rude. She wouldn't appreciate someone suggesting that you should be a certiain weight to be on TV. Just because she is at goal weight this month doesn't mean she will always be. I am a Oprah fan and I will always be one, and I'm glad she puts the information out there. But lately I feel that she comes across a little condecsending.

Can we say MEOW. Stop picking on poor Oprah. :cool: Most of us will be preening around once we lose our weight. If you want to pick her apart, most days she doesn't dress that great. Some of those outfits on the road trip should have been burned. I do like her hair, but I've never liked her taste in clothes, fat, thin, or average.

She has always been positive about her weight and her journey. She has tried to lose and failed just as many times, all in the public eye. She replaced her addiction with food with exercise. I think she could relate yesterday to the addictions.

When you are trying to get "healthy" you surround yourself with people of like mind. You don't continue to associate with people that don't have the same "values". I really don't think her money has anything to do with her values. She remembers being poor and enjoys her wealth. Wouldn't you?

I agree. I think she did a show on this b/c people were writing in about this issue. The people on the show aren't alone w/this and maybe she wanted to address the issue and help people.

And I am not Oprah's biggest fan and I don't agree w/everything she says. I think the main reason she continues to do her show is to help people. It can't be for the $$.

Money doesn't give you 'values', weight doesn't give you 'values' either. And even if I get as healthy as an American Olympian, I'll still associate with someone with obesity, CF, hepatitis, AIDS, or whatever other unhealthy disease they may have. Bill Gates spends a LOT of his money to help the sick. Enjoy wealth and health yes, but don't forget from whence we came. At least I hope I remember, and still relate to all people as best as I am able.

I really like your posts Barbara, I really like you! I just disagree with this particular post a bit. Sorry, don't want to slam ya or anything.

Come on. I have enjoyed Oprah and subscribe to her magazine, but even a big fan cannot believe that it is all about helping people and not about the money. ???

Lately, though, I notice that there is a more agenda-driven look to her shows; I feel like ideas are being pushed. I did not see this show. I hope it "helped" someone, though it appears to have offended quite a few as well. I suppose some would say those few "needed" to be offended, so the others could be "helped"?

I respect her corporate ingenuity, her ability to make money, and to enjoy it. I am all for that! Let's just not pretend she is in it for altruism.

Maybe values was the wrong word. What I was trying to say is if you are an alcoholic you don't surround yourself with alcoholics. If you are a former drug user you don't surround yourself with drug users. If you are a binge eater, you don't surround yourself with binge eaters. Not that you wouldn't try to help others or that you would feel superior to others. That's not what I meant. I meant that in order to be healthy (from the addiction) you have to change your behavior and that can mean the people you associate with.

Can someone explain what exactly about the show was offensive? I am seriously confused. Am I misssing something?

No one is really giving any specifics other than complaints about Oprah. She annoys me @ times too, so I understand that.

And I'm not saying that the show is all about helping people. You can't cure someone w/an hour talk show, but it might clue someone that they have an issue. Or maybe listening to how the alcoholic mom affects her kids will show someone else how their kids might be feeling.

What I came away feeling from Oprah's show is....if you lose weight, with emphasis on WLS, don't think that was the answer to all of your problems. The psychiatrist even said, there was a reason you "ate" to be that over weight, the problem is still there, losing the weight will not solve the problem(s). The emphasis was certainly NOT on a healthier, happier you, with the weight loss, but pretty much making you think you'd still be miserable.....NOT ME!

Quote:

Originally posted by Teresita

"I thought it was ignorant when Oprah asked the woman who was over 300 pounds, how could she move. WHAT B*&%#??!!! I was 459 and going to the gym before I had surgery. People said and still say how active I am. You don't stop living just because you get fat. It is the fat that can make you stop living. That is why MOST people have gastric surgeries. Piss me off!"

I agree that was just plain ignorant and rude of Oprah to have said that. What was her highest weight? I know that she was a least lbs, at least that's what I remember. I wonder how she would feel if someone where to ask her how anyone could put her in television at that weight?

My question: She made the claim that people who have WLS can substitute eating with a different addiction. Has anyone had this experience? I saw some replies such as 1. shopping

2. exercising

3. Hobbies

I haven't heard anything horrible here. Are we afraid to say or it happens so infrequently. Did Oprah sensationalize the few people it happened to to scare people away from WLS. I beleive she quoted that it happens to about 30% of people. What do you all think?

I have no problem believing the statistics quoted on the show of 30% of WLS patients end up substituting the addiction to food to something else. I think as Carnie Wilson said, it takes an addictive personality. I believe if those same people managed to lose the weight courtesy of WW or Jenny Craig, they would have done so by swapping addictions. An alcoholic who manages through AA or jail time or whatever to quit drinking would probably have the same liklihood (30%) of falling into another addictive situation. And all would have an even higher incidence of repeating the addiction. But with alcoholism for instance there is no band equivalent to keep you from drinking, as our bands limit how we can eat. She (Carnie) stated she is still addicted, she just finds other things to fixate on...now hers may be trying to "fix" other people or telling the world about her problems!

As for the other guests, a woman who is less concerned with how the problem is affecting her family than being referred to as an alcoholic or an addict...it seems to me that is just the tip of the iceberg with her problems!!

They also went into detail with the alcohol issue of how it affects the body different now, getting drunk on less, in a quicker time, and sobering up quicker. If you have any sort of addictive personality, that would be a big, huge draw!

My brother has an addictive personality. When he was young it was pot. He got hurt in an accident and was side lined long enough recovering to escape that addiction, instead it was then his prescription meds. Well with my folks, and the Dr. they handled that one. Then it turned to alcohol. He struggled with alcoholism for years. His accident left him with brain damage, and the Dr.'s told us with his new level of behaviour he likely would never quit. Through a mix up he ended up forced into sobriety years later. He has been sober for over 7 years now. And now he has 2 new addictions, ones he fully recognizes, and intends to keep. He sees what is happening to him. Now he smokes cigarettes, he never did til his mid 30's! And he drinks coffee...tons of it. He has no less than 20-25 clamp top jars of coffee Beans in his kitchen. He grinds and brews his coffee...but he is always shopping for new types...it is so wierd!!! Now he has suffered ( dealt with, or whatever) with all these addictions through his 44 years, but the one thing he has never turned to??? Food!!! He is 6'3" and never has weighed more than 155 pounds!!! Then there is me....We would have made Oprah's head spin!!!

I do wonder if most people recognize their own tendencies to addict to things. Maybe that should be part of the psychological work up prior to banding.

I agree Oprah seemed really rude to the nurse. The comment was uncalled for, all of us knew we were fat, just as she did when she was, we don't need it pointed out to us especially on national TV! Maybe seeing that will keep us from doing those things if we remember it!

Kat

My new addiction is exercise. My husband says I am doing too much . Sometimes I exercise 3 hours a day. My friends say it a good thing or I would have more hanging skin. I am serious about this post. I'm just not sure if its a good or bad addiction.

edie

Hi Edie:

I have read articles from reliable sources about hanging skin and exercise. Apparently when the muscles tone and build up it helps to reduce the appearance amount of hanging skin.

Keep up the great work.

Carol