Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6 days post op (mini review and questions)

Hi everyone

I had my sleeve done last Thursday December 6th at Hartford Hospital with Dr. Papasavas. My pre op diet was 5 days long. Not terribly fun but managable for that short time. Surgery was delayed by about 4 hours because they were running late but went fine. I think it was just under two hours an had no problems. I don't really remember the rest of Thursday as I was out of it pretty good. On a side note, it turns out I knew my roomie in the hospital room which was awesome. Friday was really tough. I couldn't take even a sip of Water without extreme pain and nausea. Definitely one of the longest days ever. Saturday was the day I was supposed to go home. I couldn't because I couldn't drink. As the evening wore on and I tried periodically to drink, I found I could tolerate it about 50% of the time. That was encouraging so I gave myself a break and said I wouldn't try again until Sunday morning (since I still had an iv in my hand). Sunday the tides turned and all of a sudden I could drink without issues (the vast majority of the time). Was released Sunday.

In regards to the surgery, overall it was a lot more than I had anticipated. I guess I thought of it like having my gallbladder out but it was much more. I have six slices in my belly (to go with the three on the previous gallbladder surgery). This isn't a complaint but more of a realiziation that this was much more - I thought I'd be reading and watching movies and enjoying myself in the hospital. Nope, mostly I was just miserable and my head hurt so much I couldn't do anything.

Sunday at home went well but couldn't shake the headache. Monday morning was the worst headache of my 41 years and I've had some doozies. I ended up taking the pain meds for that and not at all for my incision stuff.

Tuesday I called the doctor's office and they said I could start Protein Shakes so that seems to have resolved my headaches. Back to work today (Wednesday) and doing really well.

Now my question/concern...I can drink easily taking a sip a minute or even more frequently. I even just had a whole Protein Shake with no problem. When I get to foods, am I still going to be able to eat a lot? I'm so worried I'm going to be able to eat a lot and not lose anything.

Thanks

Jean

Thanks for posting your experience. I am pre surgery at the moment and trying to learn as much as I can about the good and bad of being post op.