Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Donali's Up and About - kind of :D

Wow! You are recovering quickly from such an ordeal!

I had adhesions from a hysterectomy/bladder lift many years ago. My band surgeon removed them. He said, "Someone had their hands in the wrong place." I took that to mean that the adhesions were a result of my previous surgeon's handling my liver, which is where they were. I've had sharp pains when I sneeze or cough heavily for years, since that surgery. Now it seems to be gone.

My husband did a search for adhesions and found they are very common after surgery. That's all I know about them, which still leaves a lot of questions for me.

Hope the rest of your recovery is smooth. :D

Donali: Typically when you have any kind of surgery you are susceptible to getting adhesions. The adhesions you are describing do not necessarily mean you were rejecting the port or band. In fact I would say you did not reject it but I could be wrong. You would have had more symptoms of rejection I would think. But this is still a relatively new process in the States and if the Mexico surgeons are not reporting the problems they are having to Inamed then we will never know how common this really is. I sent Inamed an email asking them for stats on adhesions being related to band rejection. I will post any response I receive.

On a side note, I am soooooooooooooo glad that you are home and on the mend. So did they do an open procedure to remove the band or was it laparoscopically again?

May you continue with God's speed in your recovery.

I thought of you the day of my surgery:cool:

I am doing great and appreciate your great advice prior of the

procedure.

I liked someone's remark about the "mystery band" still working.

May that be true for you and an inspiration to get through all this.

God Bless,

Kathy

Hi guys!

Teresa, no I never had any port infection, or any other symptoms of erosion. Symptoms include port infections (after initial healing), and loss of restriction, but I believe both of those things would be deep into the erosion, once the band has actually penetrated the stomach wall.

The band was removed laproscopically, thank goodness.

I know adhesions can form just from any kind of injury - it's my understanding that people with endometriosis can have adhesions, even though they've never had surgery. I think of adhesions as another word for internal scar tissue. (right or wrong).

I still am unclear about what exactly the condition of my stomach was after the band was removed. Dr. Lopez pointed out the discoloring of the band at the point of erosion, and I thought he said it was due to the stomach acid, but Dr. Carmen said the stomach had not been comprised (which I assume meant the erosion had not gone all the way through...). Anyway, here's a pic of the band, and the next post is a pic of my incisions.

post-203690-13813131253556_thumb.jpg

Hi Donali,

I am glad to see that you are bouncing back to your old self and providing us with a wealth of information. Thank you so much for sharing of yourself and your experience... BUT please, please take care of yourself and get plenty of rest.

We want you back here 100% as soon as possible!:D :D :D

Take Care,

Donali's statement

I think of adhesions as another word for internal scar tissue. (right or wrong).

Yes you are correct in that definition. IT can also mean excess growth of tissue from an internal damage of some sort. I had endometriosis and lots of adhesions.

Donali's statement

Dr. Lopez pointed out the discoloring of the band at the point of erosion, and I thought he said it was due to the stomach acid, but Dr. Carmen said the stomach had not been comprised (which I assume meant the erosion had not gone all the way through...).

If the stomach had been compromised I think the band would have had more damage to it. I also think you would have more complications than you currently do. Did Lopez say anything about having to sew up your stomach wall? If he did then your stomach was compromised and it did erode through. I would ask for your medical records be sent to you regarding this surgery in particular. At least you will know for sure what they did. You need to know this anyway in case you are in a situation where you can't talk to let someone know you had this type of surgery.

As a side note, I wanted to let everyone that is banded that they should carry on them at all times a card that says they were banded and who their doctor is in case of a situation where you cannot talk and no with you thinks to tell the powers that be you have a LAP BAND. If they try to do some procedures on you without this knowledge it can put you at risk. I have one that Lopez gave to me.

Glad you are recuperating well at home Donali. VIVA LAS VEGAS in October.

Donali, you sexy thing, that is indeed a waist!!

I agree with Penni, accumulated Fluid can weigh an enormous amount. You watch that scale, it's going down again as we speak. :D

Thanks for all the info, Penni. I have to go back in two weeks to get the stitches out, and I'll ask for a copy of my records then. Maybe I can make Dr. Carmen do a rough translation again, like she did for the endoscopy pics.

Just got back from the movies with Mom - saw the 3rd Harry Potter movie - really good!

And I'm a little tired, but feel about 90%, so I'm not complaining!

:D

Wow, Donali, you already feel like sitting through a show? I'm so glad that you have the surgery behind you. I'm so sorry that it was such a rough surgery. Please take it easy the next few days. It's easy to overdo it and I know you don't want to go through any more surgeries.

I've been thinking that maybe we could name you the patron saint of this website. Sister Donali has a sort of angelic ring. What do you think?

:banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-)

So glad to have you back, safe and sound, Donali. You have come so far, I'm sure you'll do well, even without the band. Either way, your health is the most important thing. Take care of you!!

Leatha

Ouchie... Ouchie...Ouchie!

Looking good there Donali! It is so great to have you back! ((((hugs))))

Darcy

Hi Donali

I was away for a few weeks on vacation and then a work conference, so have been off the boards for a while. I've had to catch up on the whole story.

So sorry to hear about your "erosion", but glad to hear that surgery went well. You sound great. Hopefully that "ghost band" will be working.

I can only imagine how difficult this all is. I would hate to have to lose my band at this point. But you sound like you have a terrific attitude - and you've come so far.

Keep up the positive outlook. And good luck.

Mary