Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do I really have to do two weeks pre op?

The liver stores carbohydrates. That is why we have large livers' date=' since most of us overdo the carbs. I may be wrong, but I think most patients who do not have to do the two week preop diet, may be starting out at lower BMIs. Can anyone confirm this?[/quote']

No, I also had a two week program to follow, which was standard for my physician for any patient. I was low BMI. The only difference he has is a requirement of a much longer preop diet program for BMI's over 50.

The goal is to shrink the liver, which even a "skinny fat" person needs to do to have a higher success rate during surgery. But honestly, for most of us, getting off of the carbs is a secondary goal that has great benefits. My program was relatively easy....stay under 40 carbs, but it forced me to quit eating Cookies, crackers, bread, etc., which I now still have very little desire for after going through the withdrawals in those two weeks.

Well a little post op perspective regarding the two week preop diet. I think it forced me to start focusing closely on my intake and preparing for this newchange where I am committing to becoming more accountable to my health. It is really been easy for me not take the responsibility and now the time is here.

I was sleeved 12/21 and I was appreciative of the fact that I was prepared and "cleaned out" prior.

I am looking for some buddies mentors so please let me know if you are interested in traveling though this journey together.

Me

My surgeon has me on a 1000 Calorie diet' date=' Protein 60 grams/day Fluid 64 oz/day

Basically it's like 2 lean cuisine meals per day Protein drinks and Vitamins and lots of Water. It's very tolerable to a full liquid diet[/quote']

I'm getting sleeved on January 8, so Day 3 of my 12-day preop diet here. My doc's plan is basically seven days of the Slimfast diet, and then the last five days are like Stage 1 of Atkins. Just Protein 3x day plus broth and sf jello/popsicles. Am quite happy that I don't have a liquid preop diet, and quite amazed mine seems so different from what I read here.

Everyone is so different' date=' my doctor didn't give me any weight requirements. I'm on a liquid diet for 3 days. I've been eating whatever I want and having a few food funerals. It depends on your surgeon I guess.[/quote']

Same w my doctor

I have been on a prescribed diet since my first meeting with the surgeon in October. Basically 3oz Protein, 1 cup raw/1/2cup cooked veggie, 3 oz fruit and 1 serving starch (1/3c rice, etc) eaten in that order. For my pre op diet 2 days before surgery I get full liquids and the day before is Clear Liquids. Sucks that I will be working on both those days. I imagine I'm gonna be starving! I work in a medical center though and schedule patients for colonoscopies all day long and have to go over their prep so maybe this will give me a little insight on them, when they tell me it's impossible to go that long without food.< /p>

To be honest' date=' I think the weight loss goal pre

op is a bit of a joke. I understand losing 5-10 lbs week before to shrink the liver. That's important and not too hard to do one week prior. However I wish the insurance companies put more emphasis on the psych aspect of the surgery and behavior modification- as that is what most people really need. Of course there are special circumstances, but they don't make people who are getting knee replacements lose weight or prove they are going to exercise after surgery before allowing them treatment. Again, it's important to prepare and part if that is getting the liquids ready for post op and all that, but the stress of having to lose would have probably given me high blood pressure! I'd be interested to see some research on this.

Sent from my iPhone using VST[/quote']

I had to lose 36 pounds before I could have my papers submitted to insurance. Although, I have lost the required weight I have to see the NUT one more time in January. Anyway, for me the weight loss was to get under a BMI of 80, as they won't do the surgery if you have a BMI over 80. I'm doing this surgery not only for my health, but I am hoping to get my knees replaced, as they refuse to replace them until I lose enough weight.