Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nearing the end, nearing the beginning

Hi folks,

I started this journey a few years ago when I was still living in Boston. I was looking into the duodenal switch and the closest surgeon who did anything other than the Lap Band or Roux-N-Y was in New York City so I drove down and fell headfirst into the WLS world. My life was a bit of a mess at the time and after the initial appointment, I never actually took the next step in the process and things just stalled out.

Fast forward to last summer. I decided I needed to shake things up in my life a bit so a few days after my 45th birthday and with my employer's OK to work remotely, I loaded up the truck and I moved to Beverly... Well, no, I moved to Seattle. A new home, a new start and time to start getting serious about my health and get things back on track.

After settling in, I spent a couple of weeks looking at the programs in the area and was impressed with the Swedish Hospital Weight Loss Center. They were having a seminar in a week so I signed up and went in. I was impressed with their approach, their mindset and the people running the program. I had my first appointments with Dr. McMahon and his staff on August 26th and after a bit of discussion with the staff I decided to change focus from the DS to the VSG and it's been a whirlwind of appointments and hijinks ever since.

My surgery date (January 8th) was scheduled this week and so the first phase of this journey is nearing its end. The second, unending phase will start shortly. I've never had any surgery before and my emotions are all over the map. I'm afraid it won't work, I'm afraid it WILL work, I'm happy, excited, terrified, and a hundred other things all at the same time. I have the support of a great medical team and great friends and it's time to take a deep breath and jump.

Here we go!

Stef

Hi Stef!

Welcome!

I had my sleeve done this past Tuesday (dec 4) and am so excited to be in this journey!!

Congrats on rotting a date ( that is a huge hurtle).....it sounds like you are in a good place with everything.

This site has been invaluable to me in my preparation for the surgery and still now for support and management.

Welcome and please feel free to ask away! Everyone here is amazing!!!

new home, new star-t time to start getting serious about my health and get things back on track.

time to take a deep breath and jump.Here we go!

Nearing the end. Nearing the beginning

Stef

big hugs of a welcome!!!

luv your condensed version of the journey you are starting

i know you'll work hand in hand with the sleeve, remember its just assisting you - but it does a great job - you are the one that has a lot of work in front of you

but what a way to go - new wonderful health and happiness around the corner

eat your small portions, follow all those drinking rules, Protein et al - you can't help but gain success by "losing" ;)

work with all your excitement, anticipation - enjoy this time

get all prepped for when you come home from the hospital - get your shakes, soup/broth, popsicles - all that good stuff!!!

take care

january 8th is right around the corner you'll be starting the new year with a bang!!!!

good luck

happy WLS

speedy recovery

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Theweightisover2024🙌💪

Question for anyone, how did you get your mind right before surgery? Like as far as eating better foods and just doing better in general? I'm having a really hard time with this. Any help is appreciated 🙏❤️
      · 2 replies
      1. NickelChip

I had about 6 months between deciding to do surgery and getting scheduled. I came across the book The Pound of Cure by Dr. Matthew Weiner, a bariatric surgeon in Arizona, and started to implement some of the changes he recommended (and lost 13 lbs in the process without ever feeling deprived). The book is very simple, and the focus is on whole, plant based foods, but within reason. It's not an all or nothing approach, or going vegan or something, but focuses on improvement and aiming for getting it right 80-90% of the time. His suggestions are divided into 12 sections that you can tackle over time, perhaps one per month for a year if a person is just trying to improve nutrition and build good habits. They range from things like cutting out artificial sweetener or eating more beans to eating a pound of vegetables per day. I found it really effective pre-surgery and it's an eating style I will be working to get back to as I am further out from surgery and have more capacity. Small changes you can sustain will do the most for building good habits for life.

2. Theweightisover2024🙌💪

That sounds awesome. I'll have to check that out thanks!

• BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      Just for fun last week, I ran two 5Ks in two days, something I would have never done in the past! Next goal is a 10K before the end of this month.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Teriesa

Hi everyone, I wrote back in May about having no strength. I still get totally exhausted just walking from room to room, it’s so bad I’m using a walker with wheels of all things. I had the gastric sleeve Jan. 24th. I’m doing exactly what the programs says, except protein shakes. I have different meats and protein bars daily, including vitamins daily. I do drink my fluids as well.  I go in for IV hydration 4 days a week and feel ok just til evening.  So far as of Jan 1st I’ve dropped 76 lbs. I just want to enjoy the weight lose. Any suggestions or has anyone else gone thru this??  Doctor says just increase calorie intake, still the same. 
      · 0 replies
    • Stone Art By SKL

Decorative Wall Cladding & Panels | Stone Art By SKL
      Elevate your space with Stone Art By SKL's decorative wall claddings & panels. Explore premium designs for timeless elegance.
      · 0 replies
    • Clueless_girl

Losing my hair in clumps and still dealing with "stomach" issues from gallbladder removal surgery. On the positive side I'm doing better about meeting protein and water goals and taking my vitamins, so yay? 🤷‍♀️
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches