Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question re: stuck feeling due to a pill

Hi everyone, hope you can help provide some input for what is going on with a stuck feeling that I have.

Last night when I was getting ready for bed I was really tired and was on auto-pilot. Before I realized what I had done, I had popped a Melatonin tablet in my mouth and swallowed it (it's a little smaller than an aspirin and composed of the same kind of stuff as aspirin).

I don't take any medicine on a regular basis, so completely forgot about the crushing restriction until it was on its way down my throat...about 10 minutes later I got the stuck feeling that everyone describes.

This morning the feeling is still there. I've had warm tea and LOTS of Water to try to flush the pill down. I even had oatmeal to see if something more solid would move it along. Everything is going down fine...but that weird feeling is still there.

Is it possible that the pill is still stuck even though anything I eat or drink is going through just fine? or is it more likely that I caused some swelling and that is what I'm feeling? And my last question, as long as food and water is going down is there anything to worry about with this stuck feeling?

Thanks for any help!

I'm sorry I can't give any information on that but boy that must be an awful feeling! I would definately call the doc and ask him. I can't imagine it not breaking up and going down after that long.

My guess is that the pill has moved on but you irritated your throat where it sat for a while. I totally know (and hate!) that feeling. If it were me, I'd give it another day before I worried.

I agree with its probably gone down. The "acid" from the pill probably irritated your stomach and that's what you are feeling. Give it some time. If you can you might want to drink a little milk or eat some yogurt. THis might help ease the inflamation.

I wouldn't worry as long as you can eat and drink. Just try to remember next time to crush those pills! :)

I agree that you probably just irritated something. I know you are relatively knewly banded, but you shouldn't have to crush medications forever. I take 2 pills every morning, without any issues. I have a really large antibiotic I'm supposed to be taking, and that one I have had to start crushing (after feeling like you discribe for a number of hours). I have yet to find a way to take a crushed pill that doesn't make me gag, lol.

When I take my meds in the morning, they get stuck but I don't have to pb or anything like that. After about an hour they are gone but for that hour I feel it and taste the mess in the back of my throat. As other have said, your espogus is probably just irratated. The pill of course has desolved.

Try crushing your meds and putting it in pudding or take the pill when your band has loosend up some. Mine loosens up in the afternoon.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I went to the pharmacy and bought Mylanta, had lots more hot tea and about 10 gallons of Water (not really, but felt like it)!!

The feeling is just about gone thanks heavens. :clap2:

All morning I had visions of having to go to my doctor and tell him what a boneheaded thing I'd done...wasn't a pleansant prospect. In the future I promise to be a good bandster and crush all pills. :biggrin1:

Thanks again!

Im glad your feeling better!!:clap2: