Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Losing Willpower!!!

I was banded Aug. 24 and have felt no restriction at anytime. I had my first fill 2 1/2 weeks ago, and I can't get another one until Nov. 1. I have done OK, losing a pound a week or so, but my WILLPOWER is slowly slowly slipping away. I can eat anything in any amount. I had completely given up snacking and have been trying to eat as if I have restriction, but I'm finding myself slipping back into the old habits again. Anyone have tips/advice???

My advice is only to not beat yourself up about it. If we were able to eat like birds prior to having restriction, we wouldn't have needed the band! It's most important to eat healthy foods during this time, since you're recovering from surgery and are setting your body up for an extended period of significantly reduced calories, but I don't really see the point in actively trying to LOSE weight while it's so hard.

Concentrate on what you're eating, not the quantities. You know the bandster mantra: Protein first, then veggies, then carbs. So work on making that a permanent part of your life. That's plenty to keep you busy while you're waiting for your next fill.

Leaving our MO lives behind means changing many habits, permanently. It's completely unrealistic for anyone to expect that they can all be changed overnight, particularly when we are not yet getting the help we need so desperately. This is what led us to the band in the first place! Don't beat yourself up because you're not a miracle worker. You're doing great!!

Unfortunately, I DID eat like a bird before banding--1 1/2 times my own weight in a day! That's what birds have to eat to keep going, but obviously I didn't need it. LOL

I had to get unfilled a couple of weeks ago (was tight to begin with then a flu bug pushed me over the edge). I was banded in April and have lost over 50#, but was scared to death that I would regain quickly. However, I have tried to stick to my bandster routine--60 gms. of Protein, etc. During my liquid phase, I decided to eliminate all "cheap" carbs and keep my intake of any carbs very limited (once I start eating those, I can't stop even with the band). Ironically, even filled very tight, I could eat bread and Pasta...

I measure my portions and eat in the bandster way, and am amazed that I am not ready to devour anything that doesn't move faster than I do! I eat my bandster portions (no drinking), and then wait at least a half hour. If I am still hungry, I will eat a bit more veggies. Amazingly, I am almost never hungry. Even filled, I would get hungry in the evening, so now I am eating a small salad then, and it works great (I couldn't eat salad when I was filled so tight). I am going back in a couple of weeks for a refill--smaller than my last. However, I am thinking that the real "secret" of the band is that, at least in my case, it has taught me (sometimes in some graphic ways), how much--or little--I really need to eat to feel good.

Like others have said, focus on training yourself to 1) know what a REAL portion size is-- When I started measuring, I was astounded to see that my typical meal used to be several "portions", 2) eat the banster way, with Protein first and then veggies, fruit and carbs last (if at all), 3) I don't like to take 20 min to eat my food--I don't like it cold. However, I found that if I measure the amount, eat it comfortably and then don't eat anything for at least 30 min (even if I think I am still hungry), I virtually always comfortably full after that half hour.

A word of warning: If you tend to be a gobbler like I am, you WILL learn the "eat SLOWLY, take SMALL bites and CHEW" lessons once you do get serious restriction. I don't know that I won't ever need the band to "remind" me to change that behavior.

Good Luck,

Penny, Idaho

banded 4/5/06 Dr. Ortiz, TJ, Mexico

180+/130/110ish

Ah, this is familiar.

Truthfully I didn't have 'real' restriction until a couple of fills later... so I totally understand. What I do know is that during this time, I just reminded myself that the end result was going to be worth it and I just tried not to completely overdo it.

I am just someone who does better with restriction - which is what we got the band for. So don't beat yourself up, step away from the cookie jar as much as you can, and ask the doctor's office for the first available fill appointment whenever you're eligible.

You'll make it through this.

Once you get restricted it wont be so easy to slip....Remember what you have started here and do your best. If we could have control we wouldnt need the BAND!..In time you will be to where you will not load up on food or maybe even remember to snack! Some people are like that.....Patience.

Once you get restricted it wont be so easy to slip....Remember what you have started here and do your best. If we could have control we wouldnt need the BAND!..In time you will be to where you will not load up on food or maybe even remember to snack! Some people are like that.....Patience. I had 6 fills before I was right...