Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgeon Salesmen?

Well, I know that it will be difficult. Peronsonally, I HAVE to lose 10 lbs. by surgery date or the surgery will be postponed, so the pressure is on and I just have to keep on telling myself that I CAN do it! :nervous

Ha! I'm even worried about being able to comply with the PRE-op diet!

I found sticking to the pre-op the hardest thing so far! I had a serious case of "Last-supper syndrome" and kept thinking I needed to eat all the junk stuff while I still could.

What are anyone's thoughts on a surgeon trying to "push" the surgery? :D

Interesting question.

I wondered about that too, and this is how I look at it. The surgeons spent a lot of time and money to learn how to be surgeons. They are doing this to earn a living, and yes it is a business for them. They may push the surgery because it makes them money, but I also believe that most of them also know they can help people. I've talked to/listened to 2 of the surgeons at the practice I went to, and I'm convinced that they enjoy what they do because they can change someone's life. And yes, get paid for it.

Even this early on, I feel like they gave me back my life. And hope that it will only get better. That's worth a lot more then I paid them.

It is unethical for a surgeon to "push" an elective procedure on anyone. However, the surgeons who believe in the band, believe it helps to save lives and improve the quality of each life of a person getting banded. And you know what? They're right!

Betsyjane, my surgeon is banded.

Get banded. It'll change your life. I flew to Miami from NYC this weekend for a Bar Mitzvah. I wouldn't have gone if it were 6 months ago because I would have been self conscious and worried about the plane travel and to go so far for a weekend would have been too tiring. This weekend wasn't tiring at all. It was fun! And, I had a few hours between services so I went to the beach. It wasn't planned, but I was able to walk in a regular store and buy a beach towel and a size 14 bathing suit. It was a little small, but it was FINE and I felt so normal to be able to just walk in any old store and buy a bathing suit.

Get banded.

I definitely agree that it would be unethical for a surgeon to "push" a surgery. I feel that my surgeon is very excited about the surgery and how it does help people. He truly seemed genuine and honest, and he was very personable. It still hurts that my sister was so aggressive in trying to "push" onto me that the surgeon is making everything sound better than it is...he did talk to me about complications, risks and the like, but he also talked with me about how life changing the tool can be.

Yes, a surgeon is going to tell you the good points about being banded. Hopefully tell go through the risks as well, but I'm sure you've read about most of those in your own research, at least being on this board, if nothing else.

I think probably there is that element of "if we have to suffer she should too", which isn't nice, and they probably don't think it up front, but more in their subconscious. Maybe just quit talking to them about it altogether. And if they bring it up, just say something to the effect of "Look, I'm doing this, and I really don't want to hear what you have to say on the subject anymore".

*hugs*

Unfortunately, that is pretty much what I think will be the best way of handling it, such as so many other issues in my family...avoidance...:phanvan

It makes me really sad though to have to take that approach, b/c this is such a big change in my life and I really do want them to be a part of it, but it just seems that they dont understand! :)

I truly, truly appreciate all of your support! :)

The negatives come from everywhere. IF YOU know in your heart this is the choice that is best for you then DO IT. I had a 65ish year old neighbor who is like an uncle, I trusted and told him. His reply was you dont have to go to that extreme to be pretty. :phanvan It not about being pretty, I already have that. Its about health!! I know its best for me; so I dont disclose the information to anyone now!! People dont understand being fat or the consequences of it.

Aw, my fat family has never been able to be supportive about food issues. We all struggle. I have to just let it go in one ear and out the other, go my own way, and love 'em anyway.

I think that you'll only have to avoid the issue for a while. They are bound to be happy with you on some level when you start losing and they see that it works. At THAT point, they might even be convinced to join you :girl_hug:.

I totally understand everything everyone is saying and thank you! Yeah, I think that they are skeptical that it is a risk (since it is a surgery placing the foreign body in your stomach) and they think that i will just gain all of the weight back. I cant help but think that my sister secretly wants me to fail so I can still be "large" with her. We have other issues besides this, obviously, which make me distrust her and I guess those issues are truly surfacing during this difficult time.

I was hoping that this would be inspring to them, but it seems that it has been anything but. A lot of times I feel like I just "can't win" with my family. :faint: Well, we all have our family disfuction I suppose..right now I just need a lot of support and encouragement and I guess I"ll have to seek it otherwhere. Like here! Thank you! :girl_hug: :)