Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

58 And A Breast Cancer Survivor. Anyone Else Out There?

Hi I am 58 years old and a 2.5 year breast cancer survivor. I thought I might be to old to have weight loss surgery. But here I am. I have fought to hard to live, to be obese the rest of my life. I look at it as a quality of life issue. Also the chance of recurrence goes down by 50% if I am not obese.

I am due to have my first bariatric appointment in 2 weeks. What can I expect out of the first visit? Should I start losing weight now? I am very excited to start this new phase of my life!

I have been married for 38 years, have 2 grown children, a 10 year old grand daughter and 3 chihuahuas! I just want to feel good again, my back, hips, knees, and feet hurt all the time.

Our family went to Disney Land in October, and I could barely keep, I was silent, but I was miserable. That was an eye opener for me.

59 may sound old to some but inside I feel young. That young skinny girl wants to come out and play!

Well I had the surgery on this past Wed. I had my 66th birthday. So you definitely are not too old. I am a type II diabetic on large amount of insulin plus pills. This is why I had this surgery. I hope that I get off the insulin. That is my main goal.

The first visit they deceide what your insurance will pay and what you have to do for them. Then in my case I had to have a 3 month NUT visits and tests and more tests. Then they schedule your surgery and I had to do a 2 week pre-op diet. I lost 15 lbs during this time. In the 3 months I never lost much of anything. It was as if every meal was my last.

So it is up to you weither you chose to lose before hand. Best of luck to you. Keep in touch.

Thank You I am prediabetic and I have high BP as well. My mother died from diabetic kidney failure. I have managed not to go full blown diabetic, but If I don't loses this weight I am not sure how long I can manage not to.

59 may sound old to some but inside I feel young. That young skinny girl wants to come out and play!

Pam

welcome newbie

come on bud, age is irrelevant - you could be 23 and look and feel 20 years older, just 58?? drop in the bucket - you are still a young chick ;)

or.................

you can be the "ripe ol"/younge age of 59 in 2 weeks (hmmm, guess who??) and look and feel like you are 35??!! maybe :lol:

i am also a proud breast cancer survivor (14 years and counting :) )

chance of CA reacurrance down 50% if you are not obese??? sounds pretty terrific- one more good reason to lose this weight with the help of the sleeve

losing weight helps improve all aspects of your physical well being.

my mom always blamed all my health problems on my "excess" weight. if i got a paper cut mom would probably tell me its because i was too heavy!!!! :angry:

are you already approved, insurance DOS ???

exciting having your 1rst appt with doc in a couple of weeks

my first appt with the surgeon was the day i went to seminar about the sleeve - DH and i talked with him, he thorougly explained the procedure - we talked some more, that was it with him - pretty basic

saw him again in 3 weeks, it was "suggested" that i lose some weight by the time i came back - well head hung low :( , i hadn't lost any weight - but dr. didn't seem too concerned?! told me not to gain at least!!

i saw the dr - he did NOT put me on a pre-op diet - BUT........i know many/most?? dr.s do require you to follow a strict liquid diet - and lose some weight prior to WLS

my bmi and weight and co-morbities were high enough (lucky me :( ) to show that i needed the WLS and insurance did cover me

losing weight prior to surgery is important, helps the fatty area around your liver (something like that) then its easier for dr to perform WLS safer

start to lose weight now - it will be helpful in the long run

remember you are as young (or old :o as you feel)

Pam like you said this is a "quality of life issue" - your health will greatly improve

good luck with WLS

wishes for a speedy recovery :)

surgery this past Wed. had my 66th birthday - you not too old. I am a type II diabetic on large amount of insulin plus pills. This is why I had this surgery. I hope that I get off the insulin. That is my main goal.

mokee, you can listen too Pam :)

i also have type 2 diabetes - took insulin/meds these past 20 years, high blood pressure meds, wore CPAP

all gone since about 4 weeks post op

many people have the WLS - one of my many health reasons to do the WLS is to improve/get rid of diabetes meds et al

i hear you about treating each meal prior to WLS like it was your last :lol: i did the same, not adviced, but manny do this

congrats on losing 15 lbs pre-op

you didn't mention any immediate problems from WLS that you just had on 11/26, so sounds like you are doing ok, right????

you are still early in the game, things should progress nicely

get as much Water in these first days, stay hydrated - Protein is very important - but if you can't hold down shakes yet- worry only about the liquid and sip slowly - things will move slowly but steadily

HAPPY HAPPY BELATED B'DAY to you

i was gonna bake you a 2 tiered chocolate cake (i don't think so!!!) so i'll toast you with a glass of H20!!!

Pam, Pam

i didn't forget you - good luck to you too-maybe starting to lose some weight now is a good idea.

take care

good luck :)

Proud Grammy Wow another BC survivor! YAH! I thought I might be the only one. Now I don't feel nutty for thinking about this. I have Kaiser Permanente Insurance they cover weight loss surgery, as long as you have 2 of the co morbitites and your BMI is 35 or over. Lucky me!

My mother was over 300 pounds when she passed and I can never remeber her not being over weight. She always told me my day would come and I would be fat too. : ( I managed to stay at a decent weight until I hit 45. Then it's been a losing battle ever since. I really packed on the pounds after my bilateral mastectomies and reconstruction. I wasn't allowed to do anything active for 5 months.

Thank you helping me get my perspective right. CA reacurrance down 50% when not obese.......NO BRAINER!