Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

fill amount question ?

i have had two fills and am at 4cc and feel little restriction ? i eat alot less and stay full for alot longer so i suppose the band is working .i have lost 10lb to date since may but still eat a fairly good size meal, well not enough to lose steadily . i know my doctor will give me another fill but i am getting this done in europe and i think i have had a newer type band .i am concerned that everyone else seems to have had alot less than me with far better results is there bands that take far more fills than others ??my band is called cousin (gastric banding bioring)has any one else out there had 4 cc or more ? 3rd fill due 8th july;)

There are several different types of bands in use around the world, and some of them hold significantly more Fluid than what is common in US practice. The bands you see mentioned here are most often the Inamed brand in the size designed to hold 4 ccs of Fluid, because until recently that was the only type and size of band approved for use in the United States.

Elsewhere, and very recently here in the US, there are in use other bands that can hold up to twice that amount and more. As always, the best source of information is your doctor. And remember, there are only three types of fills: not enough, too much, and just right! :(

Hi Alex and everyone,

I just returned from a two week vacation, and I was wondering if anyone has heard about how Donali is doing? I thought of her often.

Alex, are you sure that the Inamend band (I know I have a larger one--a 10, I believe) only holds 4ccs?? Someone from Dr. Ren's support group told me that Dr. Ren stated that she is willing to fill to 4 and 5 ccs if the patient does not have proper restriction???

I am still not really losing too much weight. However, I was happy that when I was on vacation for 2 weeks, I did lose one pound! I can still chug Water and eat too much. I had an upper GI, and I will be taking the the xrays to my Dr. on Wednesday. I am hoping that there is not a problem like pouch dialation or slippage. It can be discouraging.

I ordered and read Ahroni's book, and I am curious about what others think of it??? Reviews please!!

Originally posted by Sultana

I ordered and read Ahroni's book, and I am curious about what others think of it??? Reviews please!!

I haven't read it, but I've been reading Jessie Ahroni's take on the band for nearly 3 yrs now on Yahoo Groups. Jessie is probably the most knowledgeabe person in the business and is banded as well. She is definitely no-nonsense, but full of good information.

I'm going to break down and get the book soon.

Leatha

Hi Sultana!!

Welcome back, and I'm doing great!! Thanks for all your kind thoughts.

Glad you had a lovely vacation! Whoo hooo! Losing a pound on vacation???? Awesome!! :)

Hi Sultana

I have read Jessi's book

It was OK...honestly it is alot of what us bandsters all ready know. I would highly reccomend it to any one considereing the band or anyone who is just fresh out of surgery. It is very easy to read, you will read it in a couple of hours. It is 23.95 (a little high priced for a 132 page easy to read book) but I now have a copy of it to share with others who are considering the band or who are newly banded for it Just my opinion..

I liked it a whole lot. It didn't give me any new information, but has been invaluable for me to lend to dh and a few others who were interested in finding out about the process and were concerned & confused with other options for wls

I really would have liked it had it been available when I was looking into it that reading yahoo lists for a year and getting into some really annoying debates and arguements between them members

Mine only holds 4cc, which is scary, because I'm at 2cc now. Will we ever need more than 4? I wonder about things like that.

Mine only holds 4cc, which is scary, because I'm at 2cc now. Will we ever need more than 4? I wonder about things like that.

No need to worry - as teeny of an amount 1cc is, it makes a HUGE amount of difference in the band. I doubt you would need 4ccs to be totally closed off. :)

Hi All,

Donali I am so glad that you are doing well, and even happier that you continue to share your advice and experience. I hope you are not struggling with food issues. Please keep us posted, and let us support you!

I had my fifth fill on Wed., and now I am at 3.3 which amazes me. I was so worried that something was wrong, but I took my Upper GI x-rays, and my Dr. says that all looks well. I am still on liquids so I don't know what to expect. The good news is that I lost 5 pounds since my visit a month ago. That is only a total of about 28 pounds in 7 months, but I am trying to remain positive and hope that I might finally be properly restricted. I really feel like a freak. My Dr. told me that I have more fill than any other of her MANY patients.

My Dr. was running quite late (unusual) and a group of about 8 of us had quite a support meeting for hours. Luckily there was at least one other bandster there. I was sharing with her my discouragement about my very slow weight loss, and she told me that once she stopped taking a certain a antidepressant that the weight started coming off. Does anyone know anything about this? I do take Prozaz (menopause). Well, here's hoping. Thanks to all of you.

I agree with what most of you said about Ahroni's book. It is excellent for someone who is just starting to research, but there was not much new there for me, and I thought that it was not very in-depth. I did like the personal stories.

Regards,

Sultana, some antidepressants do cause weight gain. I sure you can check with your pharmacist or the web about particular ones that you're concerned about. The web will give you extensive info. and also what other meds. it is/or is not compatible with. Best of luck!

Hi everyone, I hope everyone is going to have a great weekend. I just got back from my doctors and I'm down 25lbs since 5/5. He gave me my fill and I told him that this will be the last for a long time, no matter what. I'm at 3cc and I fee for the 1st time restriction sipping this Protein Shake. I am gonna watch and make sure it will be ok. Thanks for listening.l

Sultana

most anti depressants will cause weight gain. I was on Paxil for 1.5 years when my son and mother died andI gained 65 pounds. It is true once you stop taking prozac you will see some weight loss. Most of us overweight people take anti depressants becasue of depression due to being overwieght but I have found once I have started losing weight my issues with depression have diminished greatly. I no longer take paxil . I on occassion take an anxiety medication Xanax. Hope your fill works for you...