Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Wayback Machine...Time traveling

Most of us live with regrets; should have said this, should have done that. What if, anything, would you hop in the Wayback Machine to do?

I wish I was able to go back and apologize to some of the kids I made fun of while in school or in fact not made fun of them at all. I would have studied much harder and gone to University when I’d graduated. To stand still in time with a certain person and truly enjoy our first kiss. To listen to my gut instinct and distanced myself from choices that I knew would not lead me down a positive path.

Your turn, go!:)

Oh golly, sooooo many things

I would have stayed at uni and finished my physiotherapy degree and waited a few extra years to get married, and lived and home and saved my money. Instead Doug and I were so desperate to get out of home and I was so sick of being a student that I dropped out and we moved out of home and got married at 23. First mistake, paying rent for years when we neednt have. Then when we bought a house we built a new home in a new suburb. Second mistake, what idiots we were. Everybody with half a brain knows you should buy the worst house in the best suburb. I just wanted everything new and shiny. Stupid stupid stupid. Third mistake was having our first baby a year or two before we should have. We've done everything in our lives that year or two early and though Doug earns a big salary, we are in nowhere near the same position as others in comparable positions. We should own a lovely house in a nice suburb, and though our lives are far from awful and we're very comfortable, we're still stuck in our first home in an area we dont want to be living in because real estate prices closer in have gotten away from us.

I wish I would have let myself enjoy my children more when they were little. I would have like to have given permission to myself to relax, not worry about everything else around and just live in the moment with my babies.

Some of my regrets involve not going out with more guys before I got married and after I got divorced. Green coulda sowed a lot more wild oats than she did!

I also regret refusing to learn how to sew, knit, cook and type when I was young. I said I didn't want to get trapped into doing women's work. Big mistake! Now I have to buy my fat clothes, I can't throw a proper dinner party, and I am slow on the computer.

I regret not taking my studies seriously when I was at university. Lousy grades last forever.

I don't want to have any regrets, because I would not be who I am today if I hadn't done what I did

I have lots I am embarrassed by but not regretful of!!LOL

I kind of agree with you Lila. I have SO many things I wish hadn't happened.... but they all got me where I am and who I am today, which I'm pretty much ok with.

Oh yeah, me too... I wish I'd been more of a slut. LOL

Mandi LOL I wish I had body self esteem to have been a slut, too. I was a virgin till I was 18 years old!

Wow... what an interesting topic to think about.

For me, I wish I had travelled more before I had kids (Europe this summer will be fun - but it is gonna cost more with the kids), I wish I had done my PhD when I had the chance, I wish I had relaxed more about the little things and pushed more about the big things, I wish I hadn't listened to the doctor during the birth of my first son ( he would have been 10 last month) and I wish that I would have forgiven people more often as I have learned the hard way that anger eats at you.

(BTW Lila I beat you,,, I was 20!!!!!)

On the less profound side of things... I wish I had kept off the weight the first time I lost it when I was 20, I wish I had saved more money, I wish I had not been so serious all the time and had a little more fun, and I really wish that the Arctic wasn't so far from a Tim Hortons!!!

Banded April 4th 2006 (Montreal)

Fill June 9th 2006

weight.png

I wish i didn't get married to the a**hole when i was 18. I wish it had been my current hubby!!!! (who I knew back then too, he was the uncle of one of my classmates when i was 8 and he was 18 and he actually used to walk her to school an pick her up because he lived with her family when he emigrated to canada)

Like Lila said, I would hate to change anything profound because it would change the eventual outcome...if I said I wish I had never married my horrid ex, then I would not have the exact loving DD I have. so since I am happy where I am now, and my past got me here, guess I will have to keep it!

One of the things I wish I had done though, is I wish I had listened to my Grandparents better. At the time it seemed as though I had heard the stories before, or that those people they talked about didn't concern me. Now I wish I remember exactly who they said it was that did certain things, or about jobs they did...so many things. They led amazing lives, and I wish I had honored that....rather than thinking it didn't matter!

Oh and here's one!!! I wish I had taken better care of my teeth!!! I have a damn toothache!!! It has had 3 root canals done on it, each time thinking it will go deeper, or clean it out better, and it just keeps hurting again. I am about ready to give up on it!!!!

Kat

ahhhhh a "wayback" machine. Wouldn't that be kewl.

Hmmm, things I regret that I would have a chance to re-think, re-do....hmmm what can those be? Kinda, sorta, maybe like the fol:

- volunteering to go live/work for 6 months just 500 km south of the NORTH pole (no exaggeration!...and over the WINTER months too....so I don't wanna hear any whinin' from anyone sayin' they are cold....you don't even know what cold is!! LOL)

- marrying an a**hole 20 yrs ago even though every beat of my heart and every brain cell told me not to (THAT only lasted 3 years!)

-all the other a**holes that I "thought" I was in love with (when do we learn?!!)

- letting the couple of non a**holes "get away" because of my cowardice

hmmm there seems to be a pattern here! (lets just say that I don't have the problem some of the others have mentioned....I didn't need any more men in my life!!)

Movin' on away from that pattern:

- my horrible teen years; I'd change a lot of things I did (didn't do) back then; maybe then I would have a better/closer relationship with my Father/Sister today

- as an adult I became a "people pleaser"; I would certainly change that and march to my own beat (but toned down from the beat I had as a teen!)

- not being able to stop my folks from putting down my beloved German Shepherd when I was 10 (yea, still hurts!)

But you know what....overall...I can't say I actually have any regrets, so to speak; I honestly wouldn't change anything, given the opportunity. Even the "bad" stuff helped me grow and become the crazy, insane, neurotic yet fun loving, kind, gentle, sweet person that I am now (though some may disagree!!!! *evil laughter*). THE main reason I wouldn't go back is because perhaps I was on a track/path....my destiny would have been altered otherwise and it wouldn't have led me to the ultimate meeting between myself and Mr. Yoda. And since I so absolutely can NOT imagine my life without him, I wouldn't change one iota so that it wouldn't screw up my destiny of meeting him and having the opportunity to spend the rest of my life with him (coming up to our 5th year anniversary next month which is by far the longest I've ever been with one person!). Yeah, it took me awhile, but oh, sooooo worth the wait!

So...*hands back way back machine*. No thanks!! But it is fun thinking about it!!!

I don't have too many regrets.....but, that doesn't mean that I didn't screw up here and there. I think it would go against human nature to expect that we would not have done some of the things that we feel regretful for......I really don't believe that there is such a thing as a pefect person...not in my world anyhow. I think to screw up is all a part of life and given the opportunity to go back and change what we did wrong would take away our learning process for living life.

I married the wrong man and stayed married to him for 21 years. He was good to me and a very nice man but we were best friends and never shared an intimate "man/woman" relationship.....we didn't desire each other in that way. Between the two of us the thought of parting was there the entire 21 years, we just never did anything about it.

Now that I have remarried and have experienced what it feels like to have a truly wonderful, affectionate, and intimate relationship with a man....I can't help but feel that most of those 21 years was wasted.

But.....I will not make the mistake of reflecting on the past and moaning about what was lost....I will cherish and make the most of the time I have now with my new life.

Carol