Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone Have Problems With Pcp Recommendation?

I am just beginning this long journey and I see my PCP for the 1st time on Wednesday to start my 6 mth supervised diet. My fear is that he will not want me to do it and refuse to go along with signing off on my weight loss attempts and my clearance letter. I'm guessing he's going to try telling me that in my 6 month supervised diet that if I try I will be able to lose a lot and shouldn't have the surgery. Anyone dealt with anything like this before?

I guess I 'm thinking my doctor will say that b/c that is what my husband keeps saying!

I did not have an issue with my PCP. In fact, I kept him out of the loop until having him sign off on it was the last thing I needed. That's because he kept harping on me about weight without actually listening or even trying to find out what weight loss things I had tried that didn't work. For him it was "I'm your doctor so I have to tell you to lose weight." One day I snapped and told him while I appreciated the sentiment that he didn't seem to understand what weight loss struggles were like, so that weight loss was something he was no longer allowed to discuss with me.

Needless to say when I went to get the paperwork signed, he didn't give me any trouble :D

Well, my when I went in to see my pcp to tell her I was even considering the surgery she did seem less than supportive of the idea. Her initial response was, eat less move around more.

I don't mind contra opinions but my PCPs tone when talking was very judgmental. I will admit it didn't help that in the back of my mind I kept looking at her thinking--"you have never had trouble with your weight have you..."

Her and I talked for well over the appt time about all the things I had tried in the past (with me crying in frustration during most of the talk). By the end of the appt I agreed to do a Medically supervised exercise program she agreed that surgery may be a solution to consider.

Few months later I went in for a "girl" appt and saw a different practitioner than my PCP. Since this was her and my first appt together we talked about my health overall. I mentioned I was in the process of getting qualified for VSG. She was very positive about the idea. I told her my PCP was not as enthused and we talked about that. She seemed troubled by my PCP's "eat less move more" response and felt it was antiquated thinking when talking about morbid obesity. This made me feel much better.

Luckily my PCP got on board and my insurance authorization has come through but after this experience with her I'm considering switching practitioners to the gal I saw for my "girl" appt just because of this whole experience.

So at the end of the day, my hope is that your PCP will be on board. My advice is, if they aren't and your convinced this surgery is right for you, find a new PCP who is more receptive.

Good luck!

My pcp feel the same way say i called around and found some1 i have blue cross blue shield my husband felt the same way at 1st now he is like whateva makes u happy i'm suppose 2 have my surgery feb 2013

I am just beginning this long journey and I see my PCP for the 1st time on Wednesday to start my 6 mth supervised diet. My fear is that he will not want me to do it and refuse to go along with signing off on my weight loss attempts and my clearance letter. I'm guessing he's going to try telling me that in my 6 month supervised diet that if I try I will be able to lose a lot and shouldn't have the surgery. Anyone dealt with anything like this before?

I guess I 'm thinking my doctor will say that b/c that is what my husband keeps saying!

I would have an honest conversation with them regarding your previous weight loss attempts and ask for their advice. If they are not on board, then I would advise 'interviewing' and searching for another PCP who is more receptive to your journey and/or who has experience with bariatrics.

In the beginning of my journey, my PCP was NOT on board. I've brought him much documentation and had several conversations with him about it over my 1.5 year prior to seriously considering the surgery. Once I had opened that door, and finally decided, I asked him straight up if he was on board with helping me throughout this journey, and in my care after surgery. He said yes, and ended up signing the papers. I will note that he is an older gentleman, and is a little 'old school' in his medicinal practices. Which is ok by me! I just had to show him that I'd done my homework and tried my best. :) Hope that helps and good luck in your appt.

Well if they don't sign off then start looking for a new doc - it's painful and hard sometimes but there are doctors out there that WILL help steer you in the right direction for WLS.

Yes we SHOULD lose the weight with diet and exercise, just as everyone should avoid VD and unwanted pregnancies by practicing safe sex and abstention, and just like dieting - that ain't gonna happen.

Eating is beyond a biological imperative, it is VITAL to existence. We MUST eat. We in the first world however are victims of our own success. food is cheap and plentiful and very easy to get too much of. We have so many labor saving devices that are life styles are so drastically different than they were even 50 years ago. There you have it, cheap food and lack of exercise and obesity is the result. Sometimes it takes drastic measures to insure success in beating it, and quite often WLS is that measure. If your doc doesn't see it that way or at least begrudge you the procedure when you've made an informed well studied decision then it's time to part ways.

We all wish you the best in seeking your solution to this issue.