Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Low Potassium & Low Iron

So, I am 10 weeks post op & when I went in for recent checkup they drew labs. Apparently, my potassium is low, as well as my Iron. I had to see a hematologist who has now put me on a liquid potassium & I have to have a series of iron infusions done. In between everything, I have to have labs drawn to keep track of my levels. Has anyone else had these issues & is this a long term problem?

It doesn't seem to be that common with the VSG as there is not an inherent mineral malabsorption as there is with the RNY, and to a lesser extent, the DS, but I guess it can happen to some individuals who are prone to it. It may be strictly a dietary issue (not enough potassium rich foods, which are hard to get in with our minimal intake, and made worse by the popular low carb diets) and it can be a carryover from pre-op dietary habits.

My wife has always been marginal on potassium and after her DS she needed to use the liquid supplements sporadically, though now is getting by with strictly dietary intake - but it is something monitored regularly. She also needed the infusions after blood loss from her reconstruction work but the hemo feels that she is stable as long as she has no major bloodloss (as opposed to slowly degrading levels as some may have, requiring periodic infusions - not an uncommon thing with RNY patients who absorb Iron poorly and often have minor constant bloodloss.) and so far, three years later, he is correct.

At this point, with the overall low intake levels typical in this phase, the best that can probably be done is to continue the monitoring and supplements/infusions until things get more stable and you can handle more of the load through diet. If possible, work with the hemo or a dietician to work more potassium and Iron into your diet to try to keep things stable in the future.

Good luck,

One thing to consider is that post op, you're relying a lot on multi-vitamins to close the gaps in your nutrition since you can't eat very much at first. Muli-vitamins by law can't exceed 3% of the RDA of potassium!!! Even if you buy straight potassium pills OTC they will only have 6 % of the RDA! Add that to the fact that you're likely now avoiding everyone's FAVORITE source of potassium: Potatoes, and it's no wonder you're potassium deficient!

I take an oral potassium supplement daily prescribed my doc. It is an easy solution as far as I am concerned.

I had my first Iron infusion recently. Be prepared, I was there 6 1/2 hours! They told me it would be 4-5, but that first time they check if you are allergic and it adds time. Take a movie or a book - then again, they gave me a small dose of IV Benadryl and I slept most of the time.

I was low on Iron before surgery and can't bring it back up. I am not sure if these infusions will be in my life long term or not. My surgery was in May. It seems so worth it to me to have an occasional infusion though if it will bring up my energy level and allow me to exercise at that next level.

I hope you are feeling better quickly - I don't have the answers that you wanted but I wanted you to know you are not alone!

Unfortunately, my Iron infusions have been canceled, as my insurance co will not pay for them. Since they are $1800/per treatment, that won't be happening any time soon.