Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Plateau And Weight Gain

Perhaps you need more calories' date=' not less. Everybody is different. The calorie total one person needs is not necessarily what you need. But if you're active and working out daily and putting your body into an extreme calorie deficit, it will hinder our weightloss. Every time I've upped my calories I've lost weight. It usually takes me about 5 days or so at an increased calorie level to see the weight loss begin.[/quote']

I'm so afraid to try this, but I think I will. I'll keep you posted.

I'm so afraid to try this' date=' but I think I will. I'll keep you posted.[/quote']

Think of it this way. If you were already eating enough calories and you added 500 calories a day (which would be difficult) it would take a week to gain a pound. If that happens, you can just back off.

Everyone has given excellent advice. Just one more thought. I also have Hashimotos disease. Are you being really careful to take your meds on an empty stomach and waiting an hour to eat? I was diagnosed waaayy back in the 70's and I had a fantastic doctor. He really spent time with me helping me understand the disease (i was around 10 years old, pretty young.) Every time I've slacked off and forget about the empty stomach, I've easily gained 5 pounds literally overnite. With Hashimotos disease what little your thyroid produces your body can be allergic to. So if your meds aren't working right, you can throw your body into chaos quickly. Your TSH's won't show up as off because by the time your blood work is taken, your body could have righted itself again.

Everyone has given excellent advice. Just one more thought. I also have Hashimotos disease. Are you being really careful to take your meds on an empty stomach and waiting an hour to eat? I was diagnosed waaayy back in the 70's and I had a fantastic doctor. He really spent time with me helping me understand the disease (i was around 10 years old' date=' pretty young.) Every time I've slacked off and forget about the empty stomach, I've easily gained 5 pounds literally overnite. With Hashimotos disease what little your thyroid produces your body can be allergic to. So if your meds aren't working right, you can throw your body into chaos quickly. Your TSH's won't show up as off because by the time your blood work is taken, your body could have righted itself again.[/quote']

I take my meds every morning before getting ready for work, which generally takes about an hour, then don't eat until I get to work. Since the surgery, we've backed off my meds considerably. I wonder if that is the problem. I see my doctor next week, so I'll definitely bring this up. Perhaps I need to get back to my old dosages. Thank you! This really helped.

I'm mortified this morning. I have really and truly been following all the rules and not only did I hit a plateau' date=' I've gained three pounds in two weeks. I ecxercise 45 minutes a day and I'm eating less than 1,000 calories a day. I do have hashimotos disease, but I take thyroid medicine for that and my t3 and t4 is normal! I'm calling the doctor today. This is insane! And the story of my life and how I got here in the first place. I track every morsel I eat in my fitness pal and I track my exercise as well. I'm dying........... Any suggestions are welcome!

I had my surgery on 8 oct 12 and had lost 30 pounds total, pre and post weight loss, now 28 pounds, obviously...... This is awful![/quote']

Mmmm maybe you are having too many kcal... My doctor said I should have between 600-800 cal per day

I just saw my doc last week. He decided not to back off on my thyroid meds yet. He thought it would be best for me to run a little higher while i'm still losing so much so that my thyroid doesn't have to struggle to keep resetting itself. Did that make sense? It did when he explained it to me in his doctor mumbo jumbo!! He wants a TSH complete blood check every 2 months instead of every 6 months.

Here's the explanation for the dreaded stall (you can read the full details here' date=' including what to do about it):

The Inevitable Stall

By Diana C.

A "stall" a few weeks out is inevitable, and here's why.

Our bodies use glycogen for short term energy storage. Glycogen is not very soluble, but it is stored in our muscles for quick energy -- one pound of glycogen requires 4 lbs of Water to keep it soluble, and the average glycogen storage capacity is about 2 lbs. So, when you are not getting in enough food, your body turns first to stored glycogen, which is easy to break down for energy. And when you use up 2 lbs of glycogen, you also lose 8 lbs of Water that was used to store it -- voila -- the "easy" 10 lbs that most people lose in the first week of a diet.

As you stay in caloric deficit, however, your body starts to realize that this is not a short term problem. You start mobilizing fat from your adipose tissue and burning fat for energy. But your body also realizes that fat can't be used for short bursts of energy -- like, to outrun a saber tooth tiger. So, it starts converting some of the fat into glycogen, and rebuilding the glycogen stores. And as it puts back the 2 lbs of glycogen into the muscle, 8 lbs of water has to be stored with it to keep it soluble. So, even though you might still be LOSING energy content to your body, your weight will not go down or you might even GAIN for a while as you retain water to dissolve the glycogen that is being reformed and stored.

Breathe, and fuggedaboudit for a few days.[/quote']

Interesting.. Good to know! Thank you!

Mmmm maybe you are having too many kcal... My doctor said I should have between 600-800 cal per day

I see that a lot of people here are doing 600 - 800. My doc said 1200, so I'm doing 800 to 1000.

I just saw my doc last week. He decided not to back off on my thyroid meds yet. He thought it would be best for me to run a little higher while i'm still losing so much so that my thyroid doesn't have to struggle to keep resetting itself. Did that make sense? It did when he explained it to me in his doctor mumbo jumbo!! He wants a TSH complete blood check every 2 months instead of every 6 months.

I can't wait to see her this week. I'm sure she will rev me up. She's all for letting take the amount that works for me! Thank you so much for sharing with me. You have no idea how much you helped me!

If you are exercising regularly, you might be strengthening or building muscles. Muscle weighs more than fat so many people actually gain a few pounds when they become more active. Even though muscle weighs more, it is denser so you might be losing inches. Try measuring yourself to see if that could be the case.