Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dry Heaving....Eww :(

:sick Yesterday and today I have not felt the best.. I don't know what's wrong but I cannot stop dry heaving....It is so bad my stomach jolts and then it starts it feels like I want to be sick I get ready to be sick to no avail..

Every so often Im rushing to the bathroom just incase I do throw up, It is "extremley forcefull " I Have NEVER dry heaved to this degree after my stomach relaxes and the force stage is over I let out the most loudest burps ever that feel like they are lasting forever.... The thing is NOTHING at all is coming out..I don't get it? I got my band done in July this year.. I have no problems at all with it, Have had two fills and everything has been really good.

I'm just a little concerned about the whole force of the dry heaving... I'm paranoid about the slippage... I don't know how that works exactly.. Can the band slip through Dry Heaving? Or does Vomiting make it worse?

Is nothing coming up because I have the band.. This is going to sound really stupid but are we able to vomit like normal people :) :) ? I was thinking about it and if we can only get a little amount down at a time how can we get large amounts to come out ?? Just has me curious

Sorry if I am all over the place I'm sleeped deprived :cry

xx lil xx

Sorry to hear you are not feeling well.

After throwing up/dry heaving for a month - one month after being banded I do know (unfortunately) how you feel. I did have to go in and get another barium swallow done after my month long episode and nothing moved - everything was were it was supposed to be.

Take care of yourself, and make sure you put in fluids - even though it may be hard - it helps!!!! and it will keep you from getting dehydrated.

Hope everything is ok

Tracy

How soon after your last fill did this start? You might be over filled. Sounds like you are having PBs without anything coming up. I get that too when I'm over filled.

Or are you sick? Would you be actually vomiting if you didnt have a band? I've heard people tell it both ways - they can vomit entirely normally and I've also heard people say nothing comes up anymore, they just dry heave.

Either way, poooooor you. That's horrible. And not even the relief of a good barf. Hope you feel better soon.

I did that when I was too tight. I got an unfill of just .5cc and it was better. Although, trust me, we can still throw up. I've eaten just a small amount and it seemed like a weeks worth came out. Hope you are feeling better soon.

I dry heaved for the first two days after surgery and it was usually after drinking something. The fact that none of the liquid came up gave me the impression that we can no longer vomit like normal people. Most of my dry heaves were followed by what could best be described as a kind of forced burp but without producing anything from the stomach. I told my surgeon but he didn't seem to think it was a big problem.

I have sinced PB'd twice and it was nothing like the dry heaves - no violent contractions just a very calm expulsion of what I had consumed.

I'm not a doctor but I would suggest you get an x-ray or upper gi to check for slippage or erosion. I'm going to request the same during my first fill 11/8. Good luck.

Thanks to all that responded to this thread I really do appreciate it :) I'm thinking I must have picked up some form of bug I am 100% again... Was just a little worried as to why I wasn't able to throw up..

I see my surgeon on the 30th so I will ask him about it and see what he has to say..

Jachut funny you ask that, If I didn't have the band and I dry heaved to the amount I did, I would have definatley thrown up.. If think that if I was able to throw up this time round I would have felt alot better...

Kat , Thanks heaps for the birthday wishes :) I had a cool one it was me and the toilet lol..

Thank you again to everyone that took the time to respond to this.. You guys are the best..

I did the dry heaving thing about a week after surgery. It was the craziest thing ever. It sounded like a bear was growling from my stomach, but absolutely nothing came up. It finally stopped.

I'm glad you are feeling better. My band slipped down to my small intestines and my surgeon said it was the worst slippage he had ever seen. I was rushed into emergency life-saving surgery which lasted 3.5 hours. My band was repositioned and I have started anew from the very beginning. Please, Please, Please.... All of you, if you experience vomitting, dry heaves or severe coughing, please go to a doctor immediately and have the symptoms treated. It's better to be safe than sorry. My slippage was caused from severe chronic coughing due to upper respiratory infections and vomitting due to reactions to pain medications from 2 shoulder surgeries within 5 months. Basically it herniated my stomach and when my band slipped my stomach looked like a mushroom on the X-Ray's. It was bad and I nearly died. I had dry heaves and I also vomitted everything from clear slime to black bile and everything in between. To answer your questions, yes, even though you are banded you can vomit normally and with a wretched severity. Wishing you all a healthy banded life.