Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 Days Post Op - My Story

Hi Everyone,

So I had my surgery on Thursday 11/15. According to my doctor all went well, no leaks or concerns. I can't say that it's been easy, but I'm hoping as the days go on I will think it was worth it. There were some positives, I did not get sick after surgery, I did not have a lot of pain, but those IV Pain Meds were a wonderful thing! I had some strange side effects such as my eyes being totally blurry on anything smaller than a TV screen. I couldn't use the computer or read a magazine because I couldn't seen the letters. It's getting a little better but not 100% yet. Got home on Friday afternoon with a bag full of meds. The other strange side effect is if feels like my sternum area is full of gas and soo painful, it radiates under my left breast to my back. Everytime I drink it feels as if it gets stuck there and then goes down. DANG that hurts!! My back is killing me now. Can't take the liquid pain meds... I tried and tried, but it made me dry heave every single time, the taste is god awful with the last time being the worst and all I was doing was thinking of taking it. The incisions haven't been too painful at all, until that last dry heave incident. I have 4 incisions and 3 are right where the pants waistband goes.. not east to wear pants! LOL

Another funny thing I've noticed is that food totally repulses me. Just to look at it, even on the TV, just totally repulses me, I can't look at it. I tried to have some chicken broth last night, but it felt like I was eating a bowl of salt.. YUCK, couldn't do that either. So, I'm trying to get some liquids in, I know I'm not getting enough, I know that for sure. Hopefully today will be better. I also haven't been able to sleep since coming home. Sure, I may doze off here and there for a half hour or so, but over night, nope I'm up all night long.

Everyone keeps telling me that day 4 & 5 is the turning point. I sure hope so because I'm really uncomfy right now. Not trying to scare anyone, but did want to be honest with my experience so far. Many folks have said this is normal, so I hope so!! Good luck to everyone having surgery this week and going forward.

I will be 4 weeks this Tuesday (10/23 surgery). I pretty much felt like you too. My eyes are not yet back to normal but getting better. I had no gas pains just pains like getting up from sitting and getting in and out of bed. No nausea. Didn't take any pain meds when at home.

Don't remember when really started feeling that good seems like a blur now. Seven days after surgery hurricane sandy hit my area and we had no power for a week. I feel ok now. Not 100% yet. I work everyday but in bed by like 830 am exhausted. I now I do not get enough Protein or fluids in and I'm sure that's why so tired but I do my best.