Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Laproscopic Or Open

How many had the revision to sleeve via laparoscopic and how many had open. I've heard it's dangerous to have this surgery laparoscopic because of leaks while others that have it open usually have hernias later. The reason the question is I'm trying to decide to have the surgery (have band issues and the doctors say its necessary) I have two doctors that I'm trying to decide between and one idles it laproscopic and says its the only way and very safe....the other says its NOT safe and will only do it open.

"???????Help with real life answers from those that have lived it....

Thank you

I would say laparoscopic Any surgery done open has more risk of blood clots, bleeding and definitely longer recovery time. I would say find a very experience surgeon that has done at least 1000 of the sleeve surgeries laparoscopic and go from there. A leak can occur because of the staple gun misfiring and that can happen either way. Good luck and God bless! :)

I had laproscopic sleeve, not a revision, and I had a fast recovery, minimal bleeding according to my surgeon and a fast recovery. Only on pain meds for 1.5 days, anti nauseau for 2 days and have been great ever since. I agree with Lisa's Hope that an experienced surgeon is the key.

Good Luck

Open is not very common these days. The healing time is a lot longer and you are at greater risk of infection and other issues. I don't know the conversion rate but I don't think it's very high. I think the doctor who doesn't do open may be more old school and in need of advancing his or her techniques. Medicine is always changing and laparoscopic surgery is one of those things that has become the standard the last few years. When i was first looking into bariatric surgery in 2004 open was standard and this 'new technique' called laparoscopic was 'up and coming' but you couldn't find a surgeon who did that technique often. Even now laparoscopic is taking a backseat to the new 'spider method' -one single incision in the belly button. Medicine is always changing. But honestly there isn't really any reason for open to be done, it's just more pain and chance of complications.

Mine was laposcopic.. I had the band and now the sleeve. I have in 3 inch incision where the port was. They used that site to remove the band and used it again for the sleeve. Could the other Dr be wanting to cut you open for a bigger insurance pay out . With the sleeve they also used an appliance called a spyder, not sure of the spelling.. And went thru my naval. The healing is faster i was even able to asleep on my tummy the first night. But I'm bouncing back slower this time around, but I've been told that's because of trauma done from the lap band. I just feel weak right now. I was told the first six to weight weeks are the hardest.