Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre- And Post-Op Nutrition Plans (See Attached)

Hi guys,

I've noticed something that bothers me a little. I've seen a number of posts from people saying their post-op diet plans are unclear; this appears to be more common among people who paid out of pocket to be sleeved in Mexico or other locations outside the US. As I understand it, they don't necessarily get the benefit of pre- and post-op counseling, nutritionist visits, etc. and are pretty much left to research things on their own. Nobody should be left to fend for themselves after a surgery like this. This site does a great job of providing support and information based on others' experiences to help fill the gaps, but I figured it couldn't hurt to have something a bit more concrete for those who need/want it.

So... I decided to help what little bit I could. Several days ago I e-mailed my nutritionist to ask for a copy of the document I received at my only required visit. I'm posting that document here for those of you who might be interested in information straight from a nutritionist on how to eat after being sleeved. I've removed her contact information so she doesn't get bombarded in case this becomes popular. Of course, a bit of Googling for post-op diets for vertical sleeve gastrectomy patients will do the trick as well if you want to see the variety of recommendations that are out there.

I suppose I should add... I'm not a doctor, nurse, nutritionist, or anything of the sort; just a patient like you. In my own research, post-op diet plans are all over the board, varying greatly from one doctor or facility to the next. My care providers seem to take a little more conservative approach than some others, and this information has worked pretty well for me so far. I hope it will for you too, but check with a qualified professional if you're unsure. If anything conflicts what with your care providers have told you, consider them to be the authority here and follow their advice.

Hope this helps!

Edit: so naturally I posted this to the wrong forum. Any mod wanna move it to the pre- and post-op diet forum?

Nutrition for Bariatric Surgery.pdf

Thanks! This is helpful.

Very helpful...thank you

Thank you for sharing this!!!!! It's nice to see something like this!

Of course every surgeon is different - but these look pretty good to me.

The only thing I noticed that seemed out of line with typical instructions is the Protein. Early out from surgery, you just do the best you can. As you progress, most programs want you at at LEAST 60G of Protein a day - I think I was hitting that just a few weeks out. It was hard keeping it up transitioning to food, but again, i worked back up to the minimum of 60G. i usually get more like 80g+ a day now.

Very thoughtful. My Nut gave me different guidelines and then my surgeon gave me even different guidelines. What you provided should help anyone who doesn't have a plan.

It's at the bottom of HeyBigMan's post. I passed it up the 1st time too :}

Hey..it's me alia..I thought of texting you earlier..I still don't see it..maybe because I am on my phone?.

I'm sure that's the reason, I downloaded it yesterday. some good stuff in it.

Hey Alia, been wondering how ya been. Send me a msg sometime. I hope everything is well with you :}

Thank you very much