Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone With Diabetes Prior To Surgery?

Hello guys ...I don't have a date yet for my surgery because my PCP wants me to lower my blood sugar levels before surgery. I swear I am trying to eat as healthy as possible but for some reason my sugar levels still high (160 in the morning/fasting) and 130-140 (in the evening before dinner) ... Dies any body knows what are the requirements as far as diabetics to have the surgery???

Hello guys ...I don't have a date yet for my surgery because my PCP wants me to lower my blood sugar levels before surgery. I swear I am trying to eat as healthy as possible but for some reason my sugar levels still high (160 in the morning/fasting) and 130-140 (in the evening before dinner) ... Dies any body knows what are the requirements as far as diabetics to have the surgery???

Don't feel bad my sugar was 342 on my surgery date & I also fasted the whole day before! They gave me insulin right before surgery & I have never had to take insulin before. Now I've been out for a month and down 25lbs, and my sugar has been anywhere from 90-150. So its still a process just don't get discouraged because that for any one can be hard (maintaining your sugar). Hope this helps and God bless you!

Thanks a lot Alex. I am just a little concern about the fact that my PCP will not give me a clearance letter for my high blood sugar levels. I am trying my best, lets see what happens next. Thanks for your encouraging words. God bless you xoxox

48 lbs wow that's amazing. I am extremely happy for you and hopefully soon I will be sharing the hood news with you... Can you tell me a little but of your pre op diet??? I am trying to eat as healthy as possible but sometimes my sugar still high in the mornings :( any advise??

My a1c had risen to 10.4 before surgery. I was diagnosed two and a half years ago with a 12.6 a1c. Then brought it down with diet and meds, then just with diet to 5.7!

But slowly it began to rise. AM readings from 170-275 , 250 to 350 easy the rest of the day. At that point I was injecting 4 times a day , two different insulins. It was just so out of control. I was sleeved three and a half weeks ago. My readings have been amazing! Since I've been home I have taken no insulin . This is a trial period. I had a 106 BS reading day before yesterday! I realize that this may just be a honeymoon period after surgery, and that insulin may be a regular part of my life still. We'll see. Of course I kept it on hand just in case because my life may very well depend on it. Of course I'm hoping that wont be the case but that could take years to confirm. But I am optimistic, and realistic.

The better in control your sugars are, the better healing you can expect. I have to tell you I feel soooo much better. I have lost twenty three pounds so far and gained confidence I hadn't had in years, and mental clarity that I was low on before with those lousy BS readings.

Before surgery, the best readings I got were when I stayed on a strick low card diet. And when I did have carbs, they were high quality and reasonable accounts.

I used a whey Protein I got at wallmart and mixed it with frozen berrys and Splenda. It was like a yummy shake. You can do this. It's only for a short while, once you can look back on it. And you will find the sleeve to be an incredible tool after surgery.

I don't regret my surgery at all. The first few days were painful going to and from the bathroom. I needed my husbands help getting off the toilet at first. We've been together for 29 years now and that was the first time he'd seen me on the toilet. Bummer . But I am so grateful for the support. He stayed in my room all night for the three days I was there, seeing to my needs and comfort. I sure love that man.

I don't know if any of this will help you, other to let you know that there is light at the end of the tunnel. I hope that all goes just perfect for you and that soon you will be talking of your surgery in pass tense! Keep us posted please. The support you will find here in priceless.

Hoping you find comfort and peace of heart though heartfelt prayer with your concerns. See you on the losers bench.....mendymayhem

48 lbs wow that's amazing. I am extremely happy for you and hopefully soon I will be sharing the hood news with you... Can you tell me a little but of your pre op diet??? I am trying to eat as healthy as possible but sometimes my sugar still high in the mornings :( any advise??

My preop was a mix of clear and full liquids. I drank a lot of Water and sf drinks like crystal light. (Which I hate now) I always have glucose pills in my purse just in case it drops, but I used a lot if skim milk and glucerna shakes (for diabetics) to keep my bs leveled. I also cut back on insulin and kept track of my bs levels. Any thing I can help with let me know, ;). My a1c before surgery was 11.4, now it's 7.2 according to my blood work last week. Good luck! U will do fine!

Mendymayhem thanks a lot for sharing your story with me. Like you just said there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I am currently trying Muscle Milk light but for sure will try whey powder with fruits and Splenda. I am happy for you and your progress and also the fact that you have a lovely husband helps a lot. God bless you and your family. I will keep you posted for sure. Thanks again. Have a good one!!!!