Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Chia Seeds!

Yep' date=' like I said, be well hydrated when you take them. I like to hydrate before I take the chia seeds. You can chase the seeds with a lot of Water, but that will empty out your sleeve. Either way, they look to absorb Water which is what helps them do all the things they do.[/quote']

Thanks. It certainly did help with hunger in the morning after my shake. 5 hours after taking them and still not hungry, but had my usual 9am snack as a refuel point. I did chase my seeds with 32+ oz of water, but will try taking the water first when I get up as to not go too long without some food after waking. Should the effects last all day or is it good to also take some in the after noon. My package said < 1 carb and 18 calories for 1.5 teaspoon. That will have no impact on daily calories or carbs.

Thanks for a nifty article.

I have been using chia seeds for a week and cannot say enough good things about them. Finally, they allow me to have a predictable BM schedule, even several times a day after eating. Miralax, MOM, drinking lots of Water, coffee and other remedies did not give me this type of predictability and regularity. Some of these other remedies may wrk, but are more forceful or give you the opposite problem of diarrhea.

A cleaner bowel actually translates into a more efficient digestive track causing your resting Metabolic rate to improve. Translation: more calories are burned as food is converted into energy more efficiently for your body rather than turning into stored fat or making you tired and sluggish all the time.

I encourage others to try out chia seeds if they haven't already done so. You will wonder why you didn't try it before. It may take a couple days to really start working, but once it starts workmen, you are golden every time you take the seeds.

I like to put 1-2 TSP ground seeds in my shakes. In the morning I have a light soy shake and in the evening I have a Water shake. Putting a shake with seeds into the fridge for a few hours or overnight produces a nice thick shake that keeps hunger at bay. I am serious. I often don't feel like eating on my 3 hour schedule because of the fullness. However, I do keep to the schedule because it is best to fuel on a schedule for optimal processing of food by my body 6 meals a day every 3 hours where 2 are shakes and the others are 2-4 ounces of solid Proteins and sometimes an ounce of vegetables. Keeps me stable all day long. And it works wonders as a sleeve diet during the loss phase.

Make sure your sleeve is at a place where you can consume these seeds. After all, the seeds are very small and could potentially cause issues ( in my mind) if your sleeve is still not healed enough. I have no idea, but thought I would put that disclaimer out there. I found a nice grower off of Amazon that sold me 3 lb of chia seed for about $20. There business model is customer service and good prices so they husband and wife company will treat you well. they even sent a handwritten letter with the order telling me about them and eating raw foods has changed their lives. how many companies do you know of that will do that? anyways, the chia seeds from them were a good deal considering I bought my first 6 oz supply from a local natural health store for $8. Good luck!

I have been using chia seeds for a week and cannot say enough good things about them. Finally' date=' they allow me to have a predictable BM schedule, even several times a day after eating. Miralax, MOM, drinking lots of Water, coffee and other remedies did not give me this type of predictability and regularity. Some of these other remedies may wrk, but are more forceful or give you the opposite problem of diarrhea.

A cleaner bowel actually translates into a more efficient digestive track causing your resting Metabolic rate to improve. Translation: more calories are burned as food is converted into energy more efficiently for your body rather than turning into stored fat or making you tired and sluggish all the time.

I encourage others to try out chia seeds if they haven't already done so. You will wonder why you didn't try it before. It may take a couple days to really start working, but once it starts workmen, you are golden every time you take the seeds.

I like to put 1-2 TSP ground seeds in my shakes. In the morning I have a light soy shake and in the evening I have a Water shake. Putting a shake with seeds into the fridge for a few hours or overnight produces a nice thick shake that keeps hunger at bay. I am serious. I often don't feel like eating on my 3 hour schedule because of the fullness. However, I do keep to the schedule because it is best to fuel on a schedule for optimal processing of food by my body 6 meals a day every 3 hours where 2 are shakes and the others are 2-4 ounces of solid Proteins and sometimes an ounce of vegetables. Keeps me stable all day long. And it works wonders as a sleeve diet during the loss phase.

Make sure your sleeve is at a place where you can consume these seeds. After all, the seeds are very small and could potentially cause issues ( in my mind) if your sleeve is still not healed enough. I have no idea, but thought I would put that disclaimer out there. I found a nice grower off of Amazon that sold me 3 lb of chia seed for about 20. There business model is customer service and good prices so they husband and wife company will treat you well. they even sent a handwritten letter with the order telling me about them and eating raw foods has changed their lives. how many companies do you know of that will do that? anyways, the chia seeds from them were a good deal considering I bought my first 6 oz supply from a local natural health store for 8. Good luck![/quote']

Can you send the link of the ones you ordered. I've been wanting to try some, just wasn't sure if it was worth the 10 bucks for 12 oz lol.

Can you send the link of the ones you ordered. I've been wanting to try some' date=' just wasn't sure if it was worth the 10 bucks for 12 oz lol.[/quote']

Here you go:

http://www.amazon.com/Chia-Seeds-Pound-Chemical-Free/dp/B0014LNIPI/ref=pd_sim_hpc_2

It is a little bit more than I thought at $32.95, but still a decent price. They also sell 1 and 2 lb sizes.

?.... Putting a shake with seeds into the fridge for a few hours or overnight produces a nice thick shake that keeps hunger at bay.

Do you notice a difference between a few hours and 20 minutes in the fridge? I leave mine in the fridge about 20 minutes and it thickens up big time. I thought at that point it there was no more thickening up to be done. If you think it makes a difference I'm going to try it.

Do you notice a difference between a few hours and 20 minutes in the fridge? I leave mine in the fridge about 20 minutes and it thickens up big time. I thought at that point it there was no more thickening up to be done. If you think it makes a difference I'm going to try it.

I have noticed a difference in thickness. It should be dally noted that sitting in the fridge for a few hours also chills it nicely. They say that gelled seeds can last a couple of weeks in the fridge, but I don't think I'll be chilling my shakes for that long any time soon? Do you grind your own seeds? I have read that fresh grounds seeds might taste better.

First issue: I have been having some trouble getting both whole and ground chia seeds to thicken in nonfat milk and soy. They are still same size after 20+ minutes even though I am whisking every few minutes. I wrote the company that I bought the seeds from and they said to let the seeds soak in Water first before adding milk or shake powder. That kind of defeats the purpose of having the chia seeds mixed in with milk or soy as I am not going to add milk or soy to my blender cup after adding Water for the seeds. Soaking them directly in tap water seems to work. Do you have any suggestions?

Second issue: Grinding up whole seeds. I have tried to use a handheld food processor and even tried to grind by hand like one old do with spices in a mortar and pestle. The seeds would not grind at all. I thought about putting the seeds into my coffee grinder but did not yet because the seeds are so much smaller then coffee Beans and I don't want the grinder chia tasting like coffee ( might be good, but would rather not do this). Do you have any suggestions?

I thought they "jelled" in any liquid. Maybe not. Never tried milk but I have jelled them in juice before with no problem.

My other thought is, they do not have to be jelled to drink them. They have a nice crunchy texture that way.

I thought they "jelled" in any liquid. Maybe not. Never tried milk but I have jelled them in juice before with no problem.

My other thought is' date=' they do not have to be jelled to drink them. They have a nice crunchy texture that way.[/quote']

Do they still have all the nutritional and digestive benefits in their crunchy form?

Got you a couple more links Fiddleman, hope this is can be of any help to you.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/386524-how-to-use-chia-seeds-for-weight-loss/

http://www.livestrong.com/article/444471-top-ten-health-benefits-of-chia-seeds/

I think unique for the chia seeds are as good ground or wet or whole and digest easily and simlar nutrition for all.