Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Scale...my New Obsession

Omg! The scale is not my friend. I started at 310lbs day of surgery 10/25, a week post op I was 295. Ok so 15 lbs sounds great. 1 week 4 days post op 288 lbs. I stalled...so I had to have my boyfriend hide the scale. It was so upsetting. Well today I had him give me the scale...I gained weight!!! 295 again!! What's the deal?? I hate to think I went through all this for a 20 lb weight loss

Omg! The scale is not my friend. I started at 310lbs day of surgery 10/25' date=' a week post op I was 295. Ok so 15 lbs sounds great. 1 week 4 days post op 288 lbs. I stalled...so I had to have my boyfriend hide the scale. It was so upsetting. Well today I had him give me the scale...I gained weight!!! 295 again!! What's the deal?? I hate to think I went through all this for a 20 lb weight loss[/quote']

Ok I'm pre op but I've dieted relentlessly since I was 10, so I've got 15 years in the weight loss game :)

1-Don't weigh everyday. I know it's hard but it's best to limit it. I try twice a month, but realistically I weigh once a week because I just HAVE to know!

2- Keep in mind your monthly cycle.

3- To break a stall there is usually an increase in caloric intake. That'll cause a little gain before a bigger loss.

4- I can't stress enough the importance of measurements! You may not lose pounds but you're probably losing inches. Record your measurements!!! When the scale lets you down the measuring tape may become your best friend :)

5- I just saw a post on here made by delta_girl and I loved it! I even saved the pictures in my phone. The heavier weight looks better because muscle is lean and dense. So you could have gained muscle weight.

Bottom line, chin up! Back away from the scale! And you've got plenty of time. You lost 85% of your stomach. You'll lose more than 20 lbs darlin'

post-41452-1381366089182_thumb.jpg

post-41452-13813660892097_thumb.jpg

Why are you upset? Do you actually think you have gained 7 lbs of fat?

1 lb = 3500 calories. 7 lbs = 24,500 calories.

Did you eat 24,500 calories one of those days? Of course you didn't!

So what else weighs a pound? How about 2 glasses of Water?

Bingo. There are 14 glasses of Water hiding in your body. And you can lose ALL of them in three and a half hours just by sweating and peeing.

Please calm down. You're doing fine!

Case in point: yesterday, I lost 4 lbs between 6am and 11am.

I'm not excited OR upset by this, because I know it is WATER weight.

Most people will probably tell you to stop weighing yourself every day, and switch to once a week, or even to stop weighing yourself entirely. I would tell you to weigh yourself MORE often, so you will see the water phenomenon for yourself, and no longer find it so upsetting.

The amount of water in your body tissues fluctuates constantly, depending on many metabolic processes. In most people, it's a few pounds EVERY DAY, and they aren't aware of it because they don't strip down and weigh themselves hourly. But whether you know it or not, you're gaining and losing pounds of water all day long.

Try to keep the numbers in perspective, and be proud of your accomplishments. You ARE losing fat, it just takes a little bit longer for the results to show up on the scale.

Best wishes on your journey! :)