Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Price Negotiation$ Self Pay

Thankyou Skyblue79 for your support. I have been in healthcare long enough to realize what big business it is and bariatric surgery is leading the industry right now with a huge profit margin! I believe most things are negotiable, and you have to ask for what you want. The surgeon I have chosen, did offer a discounted rate to me as a self pay patient, and I have 2 days until banding. While I still carry some guilt, I am trying very hard to see it as an investment in myself that will more than pay for itself at many levels. I look forward to a day when insurance companies (and employers writing exclusions) will not be able to dictate who is worthy of receiving this surgery, when criteria are met, and all else is equal.

Ok. I have worked in Dr.'s offices in the past. It is NOT unusual at all to ask for a cash price for any visit/procedure. I know many doctors will accept the "insurance" price, which is usually much lower than their posted fees. I say ask.

I have a very different opinion on this Kim and I hope I don't offend you. These surgeons are professionals who deserve what they charge. Just like an artist who produces a beautiful piece of work and charges based on his talent.......to negotiate, barter, bargain with individuals like this I think is insulting.

Carol

Carol,

I have a very different opinion. Surgeons and hospitals are always negotiating with insurance companies and are more than willing to take a lower cost in order to be a provider on their plan. What is the difference with a private paying person? Shouldn't someone who is paying out of pocket receive the same rate that the surgeon is willing to accept from a insurance company.

I'M self pay and my doc is charging me $14,750. I feel the same way you do about it being unfair but I think its worth every penny. People pay more than this on a USED car! I am 420lbs. My life is worth more than $. I looked around at prices and some charge 20 grand or more so at $13,500 you aren't getting ripped off.I also think we should get a discount.

A friend of mine negotiated with her surgeon and hospital to get a better price for her sleeve. She had done some research and found their prices were much higher than others in the area and even higher than in places with a much higher CoL.

I have noticed the prices for bariatric surgery vary wildly and you don't always get what you pay for. It pays to shop around and it pays to negotiate if you like your surgeon but think the price is out of line with his or her peers.

Do not feel guilt about spending this money and don't feel bad because some others pay less or just a co-pay. Life is not fair and it is not fair that we got so fat while others stay slim. We just have to deal with these facts. If you needed a car, you would get one. If you needed to eat, you would buy some food. If you needed a larger house, you would buy one. If you needed a new dress to go to a wedding, you would buy one. Now you need to work on your body and it will cost like anything else you buy. Don't worry about it. Make that investment in yourself, the most valuable asset you have or will ever have. Take care of yourself and good luck!!!

I'm not sure I would WANT to go to a Dr. that negotiated his/her prices. It's an operation, not the swapmeet!

Hi. I am considering Dr. Aceves. Can you tell me your honest opinion about him and the hospital staff. Also, have you had a problem finding follow-up care in the US? Any info is appreciated.