Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Should I Take To The Hospital?

Mon. Nov 12th is my big day :)

Tonight I want to pack my overnight bag... I am having surgery locally, so I just want to take a few "ESSENTIAL" items-

WHAT WOULD YOU RECOMMEND?

I've heard to take comfortable clothes, a heating pad, and gas-x. I'm having mine on 12/19. Good luck on your journey, hope you have a smooth recovery.

When I read gax-x it reminded me of something. U might want to google laparoscopic and gas, apparently, the way I understood it is, the surgeon pumps us up with some kind of gas to give more room for him/her to do their job. Well I had HORRIBLE pain in my shoulders, arm area. none of the hospital staff told me what it was, I had never heard of this. Their may bea forum on this but I did not join here til after surgery, good luck, u will love shrinking once u get comfortable

Found online

Shoulder and Upper Chest Pain

A common side effect of laparoscopic surgery, according to Surgery.com, is upper chest or shoulder pain. Patient UK notes that this may be concentrated in the shoulder blades. The pain is related to increased abdominal cavity pressure caused by the gas surgeons use to inflate the abdominal area prior to the first incision to give them a clearer view and better access to surgical sites. Surgery.com notes that the pain typically lasts for one to two days after the surgery.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/215453-side-effects-of-laparoscopic-surgery/#ixzz2Br8JZOKF

ALSO.....

Step 1

Position yourself on your side if you have shoulder pain caused by the carbon dioxide irritating the diaphragm. Bring your knees to your chest and hold this position for 5 to 15 minutes, recommends the University of Wisconsin Hospital. Another helpful position for shoulder pain is lying on your back with your hips elevated on several pillows.

Step 2

Walk as soon as you are allowed to do so. Early walking after surgery, according to the University of Wisconsin Hospital, helps your body to recover more quickly. Since surgery slows the gastrointestinal system, gas builds up and the patient may become constipated. Walking helps to dissipate the gas and promote digestion. Begin slowly and work up to your usual activity level in about a week.

Step 3

Take pain medications for surgical pain as ordered by your surgeon, but do not overdo it. Narcotics can slow the digestive system, causing Constipation and gas.

Step 4

Eat a high-fiber diet with plenty of fruits, vegetables and grains to prevent constipation and gas. Drink plenty of Water and take a stool softener if needed for constipation, advises the University of Wisconsin Hospital. Avoid fatty foods that may cause gas, although you may add them to your diet later.

Step 5

Take an over-the-counter medication such as simethicone for gas pains, notes Drugs.com, unless your surgeon has advised against it.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/182083-how-to-treat-gas-pain-after-laparoscopic-gallbladder-surgery/#ixzz2Br8g2bmL

there is a whole post on this http://www.verticals...surgery-thread/

I followed this link and packed my bag to the top, to bad I did not use any of the stuff. My bag stayed in the car until it was time to go home. The clothes you wear to the hospital is fine to wear home.

The hospital will provide you with wash clothes, towels, toothbrush and paste. You will be washed up daily and change your gown. The nurse will prescribe you medications for gas and you will sleep and focus on taking in fluids through out your stay.

Bring your cell and charger, thats how I kept track of time and texted whenever I was not drowsy.

Good Luck and welcome to the sleeve world!

Take chapstick for sure and disposable tooth brushes..your.own small balnket and a body pillow...my body pillow is very firm and it saved my life..really advise it..i had surgery wednesday..gas strips..and tell them right away ..you want to walk..good luck..i learned also..get instructions from your doc..because sometimes the nurses dont know..stay in hospital as long as you can for I.v so you dont get dehydrated..its hard to get your fluids down when home...good luck..surgery not bad..just the gas is crazy..

I over-packed-pj's, robe, toiletries, reading materials, etc. I used my slippers, chapstick, brush and toothbrush. I never used heating pad-I had too many wires going from here to there! I read one magazine over the 36 hour stay. No cards or book-too tired. no Internet or wi fi for iPhone, only hospital phone-boring! TV and sleep when able to, when not burping and walking, then on day after surgery-sip, sip, sip! Oh yeah, GasX saved the day. After broth or Soup of any kind (still-even now 4 weeks later and I'm on puree!) I would have even more gas so I woukd eat a chewable (haven't found strips yet) GasX before eating which seemed to help.

Be sure to have Protein shakes, Jello and broth for when you get home. Have add-ins for Water in case you can't tolerate it (I still can't-it's like I ate a dinner roll in one bite that's stuck in my chest! I love and miss my ice cold water!)

One last thing-ask the nurse or aid for those sponges dipped in something, I don't know what, but they saved my life between the no food or Water just ice until upper GI test next morning and the CPAP machine that was drying me out so bad I thought I had sand in my mouth. Good luck!

thanks everyone for the advice and great info... it is much appreciated :)

I took a robe, hard soles slippers, dry Shampoo, head bands, Chapstick, Ticktacks. My mouth was soooo dry!

I followed this link and packed my bag to the top, to bad I did not use any of the stuff. My bag stayed in the car until it was time to go home. The clothes you wear to the hospital is fine to wear home.

The hospital will provide you with wash clothes, towels, toothbrush and paste. You will be washed up daily and change your gown. The nurse will prescribe you medications for gas and you will sleep and focus on taking in fluids through out your stay.

Bring your cell and charger, thats how I kept track of time and texted whenever I was not drowsy.

Good Luck and welcome to the sleeve world!

I am right there with you. I packed all kinds of stuff and didn't use any of it. Chapstick was the only thing I brought from home that I used. Everything else the hospital supplied. Well, that and my phone charger.

Good luck!