Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

One Week Post Op And Depressed.

I had my sleeve on 10/29. I have had three other sugeries prior to the sleeve two of them being a csection and gallbladder so I figured the pain would be similar. During my surgery the doctor had found a hernia and repaired it. I was out of surgery and in my room by 2:00pm. I was in quite of bit of pain but that is to be expected. The next day they came and took me to my barium swallow and were unsucessfull at getting a result. I was told that I could go ahead and have ice chips try and suck on and was even released from the hospital that next afternoon. Needless to say I was readmitted back to the hospital later that evening due to not being able to keep anything down. I was hooked back to IV's and they controlled my pain. I was kept on a "nothing to eat or drink" diet because I was told I was going to have a scope the next day. During the scope that doctor found a stricure and repaired it. I was for a while feeling so much better. I was released from the hospital on Saturday. Since I have been home I have developed a horrible sore throat( I even have white Patches all around my tounsels and my uvula). I waited until this morning to go to my PCP and guess what I have strep throat and he said he thinks some other infection due to the numerous times tubes were put down my throat. I have had such a hard time swallowing anything let alone liquid medicine that tastes horrible. I haven't even taken pain medicine because I am terrified of throwing up. I am so depressed and I guess just had so much of a different thought of what life would be like after the sleeve. I know people have gone through so much worse but I just feel like things will never get better. Has anyone ever felt this way is it normal. My family is extremly worried about me and my 3 year old does not understand any of this and is so sad for me. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get this medicine down? I know that is the first thing that would help. I was supposed to go back to work today but I had to call in. Thank you for any suggestions or encouragement that anyone may have.

Strep is no joke. I am one of those people who gets it pretty bad and suffers terribly.

It isn't going to taste worth a crud, but you may have to crush them up and take them. I had to put mine in a magic bullet and annihilate (sp?) them. Considering everything else, did he give you a shot of penicillin or pills? (Unless your allergic) I hope the shot due to "sleeve."

My best thought is warm chicken broth. Add the unflavored Protein. There is Protein Jello out there also. Definitely staying hydrated is more important or you will be back in the hospital with iv's for it.

Take care of yourself and keeping you in my thoughts. :)

I am so sad that your having such a rough time. The only suggestion I would have to help get the medicine down is to try putting it in some pudding or yogurt if possible. It might not taste so bad. Keep sipping Water as much as possible to stay hydrated.

Strep is no joke. I am one of those people who gets it pretty bad and suffers terribly.

It isn't going to taste worth a crud, but you may have to crush them up and take them. I had to put mine in a magic bullet and annihilate (sp?) them. Considering everything else, did he give you a shot of penicillin or pills? (Unless your allergic) I hope the shot due to "sleeve."

My best thought is warm chicken broth. Add the unflavored Protein. There is Protein Jello out there also. Definitely staying hydrated is more important or you will be back in the hospital with iv's for it.

Take care of yourself and keeping you in my thoughts. :)

Thank you for your thoughts and suggestions. I know I don't get fever but it tears me down pretty bad. My doctor said that he did not have the shot so he actually gave me the flavored version that kids get and it really isn't as bad as I thought. I will have to try that I am hoping that the medicine will kick in soon and I will start to feel a ton better. But I will have to try the chicken broth and protein once I get my hunger back.

I am so sad that your having such a rough time. The only suggestion I would have to help get the medicine down is to try putting it in some pudding or yogurt if possible. It might not taste so bad. Keep sipping Water as much as possible to stay hydrated.

Thank you for your thoughts and suggestions. I guess I had't even thought about adding medicine to anything. I will definently have to try it. Congradulations on your weight loss by the way. It gives me more and more hope for the days to come.

I was told to chase any yucky tasting meds with grape juice. That is the first drink we got in the hospital and it was so good. Are you needing to swallow pills? I would call the Dr and ask for liquid meds, you should probably not take pills yet. I got very sick about 4 weeks after my surgery and had to take 2 rounds of liquid antibiotics. I am so sorry you are sick. You will feel better once you get over the strep, it takes time for our bodies to heal since we are not eating enough calories right after surgery.

Get better very quickly!!

I was told to chase any yucky tasting meds with grape juice. That is the first drink we got in the hospital and it was so good. Are you needing to swallow pills? I would call the Dr and ask for liquid meds, you should probably not take pills yet. I got very sick about 4 weeks after my surgery and had to take 2 rounds of liquid antibiotics. I am so sorry you are sick. You will feel better once you get over the strep, it takes time for our bodies to heal since we are not eating enough calories right after surgery.

Get better very quickly!!

I hadn't thought about that either. I wish they would let me take pills. But everything is liquid for now. Suprisingly the antibiotic tastes ok but the liquid hydracodone is the worst. I can take like one sip. Thank you so much and grape fruit is my favorite I will have to give it a try. I did have a question about juice and I know every doctor is different but when they say no sugar added does that mean if it says all natural or even still has natural sugars I can have that or do I need to be having the lite or diet? The no sugar added has a ton of sugar still. And does the fullness after drinking ever get better. Once I take the antibiotic I am full for a while and its hard to get in anything else?

I had my sleeve on 10/29. I have had three other sugeries prior to the sleeve two of them being a csection and gallbladder so I figured the pain would be similar. During my surgery the doctor had found a hernia and repaired it. I was out of surgery and in my room by 2:00pm. I was in quite of bit of pain but that is to be expected. The next day they came and took me to my barium swallow and were unsucessfull at getting a result. I was told that I could go ahead and have ice chips try and suck on and was even released from the hospital that next afternoon. Needless to say I was readmitted back to the hospital later that evening due to not being able to keep anything down. I was hooked back to IV's and they controlled my pain. I was kept on a "nothing to eat or drink" diet because I was told I was going to have a scope the next day. During the scope that doctor found a stricure and repaired it. I was for a while feeling so much better. I was released from the hospital on Saturday. Since I have been home I have developed a horrible sore throat( I even have white Patches all around my tounsels and my uvula). I waited until this morning to go to my PCP and guess what I have strep throat and he said he thinks some other infection due to the numerous times tubes were put down my throat. I have had such a hard time swallowing anything let alone liquid medicine that tastes horrible. I haven't even taken pain medicine because I am terrified of throwing up. I am so depressed and I guess just had so much of a different thought of what life would be like after the sleeve. I know people have gone through so much worse but I just feel like things will never get better. Has anyone ever felt this way is it normal. My family is extremly worried about me and my 3 year old does not understand any of this and is so sad for me. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get this medicine down? I know that is the first thing that would help. I was supposed to go back to work today but I had to call in. Thank you for any suggestions or encouragement that anyone may have.

Strep is no fun. I think ice chips would help with fluids. Grape juice works for after taste or so I've been told by friends.

I just get lite juice, all juice has natural sugars. Mr surgeon said that sugar juice was ok right after surgery. If you are not able to eat much, I do not think that juice with sugar would hurt, it gives you some carbs to help your body keep going. Lite juices taste better to me, I am not normally a juice drinker so they are very sweet. I have to Water mine down now, cannot take the sweetness of anything right now. Just drink as much as possible ( SIP), you need to stay hydrated.

Hope you are feeling better!

So sorry for all your going through. I can only relate to the liquid pain meds. It made me throw up at first. No fun, and painful. Have they given you anything for nausea?

That helps. But for me it is the thought of the liquid that still gets me. Like I'm afraid of it making me puke. I never did after the first time, though the fear was always there.

You shouldn't need it for long, but it will help you drink some, and help you rest. They put something in my IV a little before each dose of the liquid to help the nausea, then brought me the liquid. Hope this helps and that you are on the mend and soon enjoying the benefits of your new sleeve. Hang in there!

For the liquid hydrocodone I would have a sf Popsicle right with me , down the meds then quick put the Popsicle in my mouth, helped get that awful taste masked. Sorry you are having such troubles, feel better soon

I just get lite juice, all juice has natural sugars. Mr surgeon said that sugar juice was ok right after surgery. If you are not able to eat much, I do not think that juice with sugar would hurt, it gives you some carbs to help your body keep going. Lite juices taste better to me, I am not normally a juice drinker so they are very sweet. I have to Water mine down now, cannot take the sweetness of anything right now. Just drink as much as possible ( SIP), you need to stay hydrated.

Hope you are feeling better!

Thank you! It is nice to know what other people have been told.That does make since. I felt guilty for drinking anything with calories but I am probably not even getting to 300 calories a day lately because of the strep and not being able to swallow.

Don't worry about sugar or calories. You aren't getting enough to matter.

I had different complications but I still know what you are going through with your little one. I have a six year old and he had to watch me suffer for a couple of months. He was so sad for me.

I will say that I let him "help" me as much as I could stand :) Stupid things like getting me a cough drop (which you can have hun...as well as warm peppermint tea) or bringing me a towel (if I needed it or not) and I let him tuck me in when he went to bed and give me a kiss since I couldn't do that for him. Obviously I didn't need the help, but he felt good coming home from school and coming up to my room to help me for a few mins, and then again at bed time. I told him mommy had an owie in her tummy and I would get better even though I was so sick, CONSTANTLY. Try letting her get involved...it will ease her mind to feel she's making mommy feel better.

Don't mix your meds with dairy. Dairy increases mucous production and the drainage will hurt your stomach and throat more. Avoid dairy!

I get strep you could set a clock by. As for an antibiotic shot. I've will help your internal swelling, a hot rag or heating pad will help ease the tension in your muscles around your throat. Try your best to get your pain meds down. Pinch your nose and swallow. Keep it pinched until you've swallowed several times to get the taste out of your mouth :)

Good luck!