Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I Feeling Hunger Pains?

I'm six days post-sleeve and honestly right now I feel hungry. Is that possible? Or is it just pain in general? I also had a hernia repaired. I'm thinking I still need time to relearn all the signals my sleeve is sending to my brain but was curious what you all thought. :-)

Also--will the ROARING in my tummy continue? Become quiter?

Still sippin' away every moment I'm awake...

It's probably just mental hunger. You've been conditioned to eat eat eat for so long, and now your subconscious is like "HEY WHERES THE food ITS TIME TO EAT!"

Did your Doc give you anything to take daily like Prilosec or another PPI? It could be acid in your stomach causing you to "feel hungry" even though youre not.

But if I had to guess I'd say it was the mental thing. I still struggle at times 5 months out with the mental hunger. Just make sure you're getting as much fluids in as you can and everything will be just fine!

I am also 6 days post op and I am feeling hungry too. (I think) My stomach is gurgling very loudly as well. I'm not sure of the signs yet either but will be watching for others to post their experiences. Good luck :rolleyes:

Not always mental. Since day 1 I have been hungry, still am. I have tried every med available and the hunger does not go away. Still, it's a kitten compared to the lion it was before.

It feels like I eat all day long, and pretty much do. I counted it up, I eat 10 times a day, but not much at any one time. And I'm almost at goal, so I'm not really overeating.

I was a little disappointed at first, because I thought I would not be hungry. But on the flip side, there is the blessing that I still want and enjoy food very much! So it's a good compromise in my eyes.

I'm 4 days postop and I know I feel hunger! From what I've read wont feel full until off liquids and taking more food with substance. Liquids basically just going through the sleeve. It will get better with denser food!

Yes, I am taking Prilosec (Walgreen's version). I drank a cup of warm tea and that seems to have eased the "pain"--if I can even call it that!

Wow--had no idea that it's possible to have REAL hunger & not just mental hunger. I was so relieved when you followed it with the kitten/lion analogy! Right now I'm scared to have any appetite at all!

Still new to this posting thing--I know there's a way to copy what quote I'm responding to but I just haven't figured it out yet :-)