Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Good afternoon all!

I was sleeved 23rd October 2012, and I'm still on liquids till Wednesday. After reading another post about 6 months honeymoon phase, I was wondering how realistic it is, can I lose 100lbs in 6 months? I've lost 20lb so far! Seems so unreal that it might be possible!!! Any thoughts?

I'd like to know too. I have 150 to lose and I'm not sure if its even possible. I'm pre-sleeve and unsure.

Some people have and some haven't. Can you lose 100 lbs...sure! Lots of sleevers have. In six months? Maybe..depends on how hard you are willing to work on it, but also on how your body loses weight. People often don't lose all of their excess weight in the honeymoon phase. Many work on it for a year or more, but it does eventually happen for those who dedicate the effort necessary to lose. I'd like to lose all of my goal in six months, but I know realistically it may take longer...and that's ok cuz I will lose it!

A lot of it will also depend on things like your starting weight. The higher that was, the easier it will be to lose a lot very quickly. As an example, my starting weight was 383. In the two weeks prior to surgery (I was sleeved on 10/22), I lost 30 pounds just on the pre-surgery diet. It took me about a week to lose the weight I put on during my hospital stay and now, a little under 2 weeks out from surgery I've lost a total of 43 pounds in a little under 1 month.

All that really means is that I still weigh quite a bit over 300! Sure, I'll lose over 100 in 6 months, but I'm also running at a much larger caloric defecit than most people, which is really what it comes down to. Even with VGS, it still comes down to calories in, calories out. VGS just makes it easier.

Starting weight was 249.7lbs!

I'm 5'4, age 30

Current weight is 230.4lbs, 2 weeks post op on Tuesday

Goal weight is 140lbs!

I'm 5'4' date=' age 30

Goal weight is 140lbs![/quote']

You will probably not lose 100 lbs in six months. The average during that period is sixty percent of excess body weight. The balance of weight you want to lose will likely come after the honeymoon period.

One of the things I'm getting great use out of is fitbie.com. It's free (important for someone cheap like me) and it will let you track your intake, your excercise, your mood, all that good stuff.

I agree with Iggy. As you've got about 100 pounds to lose, you need about 2400 calories a day just to maintain weight if you're sedentary. Let's say you're eating about 800 calories a day (if you track your numbers, you'll know how much you're eating on average). Well conventional wisdom is 3500 calories = 1 pound. That means you're running a 1600 calorie defecit, or a pound of weight loss about every 2 days. This number will change as you lose weight and your calorie requirements are lower. Your weight loss will slow down the closer you get to where you're going.

I'm 5'4' date=' age 30

Goal weight is 140lbs![/quote']

From another perspective- here are my stats.

I'm 5'3 and change. Age 34. Currently weigh 139. Preop weight was 235. Date of surgery I was 212. I run like a crazy and prior to October I was pretty mindful about calories, etc. The closer u get to goal- the slower the weight comes off.

100 pounds for ur starting weight in six months is a bit of a strech. I would hate to see u get discouraged over numbers and not meeting ur personal goals. Focus on where u want to get and don't stress about how long it's going to take to get there. :) u will get there and it will be amazing!

Sent from my iPhone using VST

I agree with everyone! Starting weight/BMI, how your body reacts to the caloric deficit, your age, current health, amt. of physical activity, etc. will all play a part in #s lost at 6 months or a year. My dr. recommends no alcohol, for example, until a year post op. He asked, "Do you want to lose 100 pounds in a year?", Duh! Then he recommends limiting carbs as much as possible the first year. I love my bread (I almost inhaled a fresh loaf of Italian bread! I figured sniffing it didn't have calories, but boy the smell of yeast...yes, that is definately my addiction!) I'm doing well too, weight loss wise so I know it's hard to not get excited and then raise our expectations when the scale is behaving nicely! if I keep going at the rate I'm going, 100 pound loss is realistic somewhere between 6-12 months-I hope! I've lost 42.5 lbs. total since Pre-op in August-Start-278; DOS-255.5; 3weeks post-op-11/1/12-235.5. I know once I can tolerate more foods and my calories increase (currently staying at 600), I'm going to have to join a gym. (I'm thinking family membership as a Christmas gift for husband and daughters with some fitness attire. This way I know I'll get my membership...sneaky!)

Hi

Everyone that posted is spot on with the replies.

Just had a quick look at my blog (I knew it would come in handy one day..lol)

At 6,5 months I had lost 99 pounds.Now at 7,5 months out I have lost 105 pounds.

I am 45, a crazy habitual yoyo dieter in my pre sleeve life,a slave to my scale and I have almost never been able to stick to 800 calories a day,more like 1000 and over some days.

My carbs are closer to 50 as I use to much milk for tea every day,my exercise is either insane or only twice a week and on top of that I lose nothing for between 5 to 7 weeks and then boom,down 10 to 14 pounds in 3 or 4 days.I've lost nothing for about 3 weeks now so I'm due for a big drop,I hope!

I also tend to be very good and on plan for a week or 2 and then I am convinced I am a failure as the weight is just not moving which causes me to go off plan for a few days to just get away from my own insanity.

What I am trying to say is,relax and enjoy the ride.High expectations can so easily set us up for deep disappointment and doubt,which if I look at my weight loss objectively,is quite unnecessary.

Stay on plan (those 600 cals per day seems like a dream number to me,wish I could manage that) exercise with some consistency and be happy and satisfied with your success.

Revel in all the little victories this journey brings along with the great weight loss.

Having said all that,I still wanted to be at goal YESTERDAY!...lol (and I still believe I will be the one whose weight loss never slows down now that I only have 30 odd pounds to lose..mmm...just like I thought that people who didnt lose weight for a few weeks were cheating...lol)

ooo

Thank you all for your replies, a lot to think about! What an emotional journey I'm on!!! Xxxxx

You will have your easiest weight loss in the first 6 months. But to say the weight loss will stop at 6 months is incorrect. Please don't believe that BS. You can continue to lose for as long as you want if you're willing to work at it, and you learn new eating habits.

You will have your easiest weight loss in the first 6 months. But to say the weight loss will stop at 6 months is incorrect. Please don't believe that BS. You can continue to lose for as long as you want if you're willing to work at it' date=' and you learn new eating habits.[/quote']

I think the easiest weight loss was actually in the first 2 months.

Lost 90 lb in first 2 months with just following the basics for eating and walking 2-3 miles a day.

After 2 months I have stalled for every week I have lost. So far monthly loss during month 3 and 4 has averaged about 15 lb. Not a big deal for me to lose at 10 lb a month for a couple more months because I will be close to goal by 6 months.

Not sure if it is my BMR or my 3 hour plan ( very similar to you), but these results have been achieved without becoming a gym rat.

I plan on adding more rigorous weight training and eating more like the Mediterranean diet when maintaining. Don't know for sure. I will cross that bridge and open that door when I get to it.

Not sure what is so magical about 6 months. It makes sense that you can expect weight loss to slow since you have less to lose...but I don't understand why some would assume it all has to be gone before the clock strikes midnight??

Not sure what is so magical about 6 months. It makes sense that you can expect weight loss to slow since you have less to lose...but I don't understand why some would assume it all has to be gone before the clock strikes midnight??

To be honest, my NUT said most will lose 50-70% in 12-18 months. That did not sound like good odds to me.

Maybe she gives those statistics in order to factor in those that eat whatever they want, or don't exercise or just have body types that bring the averages down. Who knows? Everyone should formulate a plan that works for them and one they can follow for a decent amount of time.

A plan that works for one person may not work that well or at all for others. Good luck everyone and keep fighting the good fight.