Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pain In My Leg/hip?

Ok, I need some advice. I am about two and a half weeks out of surgery. I am healing up great and feeling good. Except, I have this mind numbing pain that starts at my hip and radiates down to my knee on my left side. Sometimes it feels numb, and other times it is like something hooked me up to a car battery with jumper cables!

Anyone else experience this? And better yet, anything work to make it go away?

It's worst when I lay down to sleep and I am desperate for a pain free night.

Thanks!

Sounds like your sciatic nerve. Try stretching out your hips/thighs. Look on youtube for specifics, they are too hard to describe how to do. I get that quite often cause I have a disc out in my back. Stretches do help relieve it a bit at least.

A really good massage can help give relief too. I used to get sciatica during and after pregnancy. I soon learned the exact spot that needed work - my buttock. After seeing a chiropractor regularly, I haven't had any symptoms since (and I haven't been back for over 12 months).

I hope you can find relief

Thanks for the tips. I am on it. I thought about going to a chiropractor, but being so fresh out of surgery, I am a but afraid. I don't get why this started up after surgery. It's so unfortunate.

Seems like you are pretty early out don't rule out a blood clot they happen..

I used to have similar pain in my right hip down to my knee from a pinched nerve. The entire side of my leg would go numb and they sent me for an EMG. They stick tiny pins in my foot/ankle/leg/hip/back that gave tiny little shocks or something crazy. Then used some other big pronged thing jabbed into my hip area to shock the nerve and it hurt ridiculously awful!

End results and how to relieve the issue...Lose weight to reduce pressure on the nerve.

I wanted to slap the Dr doing EMG, bc that made me hurt more than I already did.

*this was cpl years prior to my band surgery*

Hi Newbie,

I had my sleeve done on Oct. 8th. I'd been having leg pain for several months, but got worse by week 2 after surgery, so called dr and went on prednisone dose pac. That didn't help so yesterday I went to pain management dr and had epidural steroid injection, helped a lot!!! He said I had classic sciatica. The pain radiated from a bulging disc in my back, down my butt, into my thight and if I stood in one place for more than a few minutes my foot would go numb.

Problem is the steroids sure don't help with losing weight. I lost 21 lbs in first 2 weeks. I'm close to one month out now and have not lost another lb. Even gained a few, but those are gone. Also went through dehydration between week 2-3. Sure hoping things get back on track here soon. Getting pretty discouraged. Hang in there!

Thank you all. Sounds like you have reached a consensus. I will just keep trucking along. Crossing my fingers that I will drop weight and it will ease up. *sigh*