Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just curious how much Fluid new sleevers are getting in. I have at the most got in 10oz if Gatorade per day. (Drinking Gatorade per dr) I am 2 weeks PO and have a new onset if nausea and cramping. I'm thinking dehydration but can't get ahold if the dr. ??? :(

hello..... all i can say is make sure you can get as much in as possible and follow the instructions. If you don't, it will cause you to have dehydration. From experience..... stick with apple juice, Water, and unsweetened tea or coffee. All that sugar free stuff and 100% juices made me sick and caused me to have nausea and couldn't tolerate any fluids which led to dehydration and 2 unexpected stays after my surgery in September. I"m still learning.... :)

I am only asking the following because I am curious. And no, I am not a cat so cannot be killed! What causes lots of folks to make the decision to go to the ER for dehydration? Is it a deathly feeling? Or a passing out feeling? I have read a number of posts from folks that say they had to go to the ER and it occurred to me that could a person just increase their hydration for the day? Or is it like a point of no return that cannot be fixed at home. Thanks for satisfying my curiosity.

Dehydration is a horrible feeling.... It can cause nausea and vomiting......fatigue.....strokes.......and it could feel like a big dark tunnel is coming down on you and you can pass it. =)

After spending 4 days in the hospital 3 of them in ICU, I haven't gone to the ER nor do I want to. I am trying my hardest to get more fluids in me, but if you've been sleeved you know you can just suck down a bottle if Gatorade.

I had a really hard time getting in enough Fluid for about the first 5 weeks. It was frustrating!!!

I did go to the urgent care twice for a bag of fluids. While just increasing my fluids might sound like the easy fix, it wasnt. I was literally drinking as much as i could, which wasnt enough.

It made me upset like "what am i doing wrong?" But it just took me longer to heal. When other people said that they drank 80 ounces, and i pushed myself all day to get 20, it was very discouraging!

I knew my body and knew when i needed intervention.

At 5 weeks it all changed.

I had a really hard time getting in enough Fluid for about the first 5 weeks. It was frustrating!!!

I did go to the urgent care twice for a bag of fluids. While just increasing my fluids might sound like the easy fix' date=' it wasnt. I was literally drinking as much as i could, which wasnt enough.

It made me upset like "what am i doing wrong?" But it just took me longer to heal. When other people said that they drank 80 ounces, and i pushed myself all day to get 20, it was very discouraging!

I knew my body and knew when i needed intervention.

At 5 weeks it all changed.[/quote']

Thank you Niki!!! Makes me feel so much better!

How about Protein? This is such a struggle...

I am 11 weeks out today (definitely not a veteran by any means). I can only eat 2 ounces of food at a time. So i still struggle with Protein. I drank shakes all of the time pre op, but post op i would gag over every sip, so no shakes for me!

I make sure every meal and every snack is protein. That way i can say without a single doubt that I am doing the best I can! I am down 82 pounds including pre op.

everyones journey is different. As long as i can say with confidence that i am always doing the very best i can, and making the best choices, i don't and wont feel bad

You might try one of the clear Protein ready-to-drinks like Isopure Zero Carb or Cytosport whey Isolate Protein Drink. I prefer the Cytosport - doesn't have the strong taste/whey odor that Isopure does. You may want to mix 1/2 of the Protein Drink with 1/2 Water. I would think this would be much better than Gatorade since it provides Protein which equals energy......

One of the keys for me initially was to sip, sip, sip - almost constantly. Don't try to gulp a lot down at once. If you don't have one, get one of the 1 oz dosing cups (they often come with liquid Tylenol or cough meds). Use that as your cup - it will help you gauge how much you are drinking each time you sip. Maybe only 1/2 oz per sip at first.

Good luck! I know dehydration is a terrible feeling.

I had a hard time getting my fluids in at first. I have found that plain Water goes down a lot better than juice or anything else. I just practiced everyday like seriously practiced. Now at almost 4 weeks I can down some water with no problem, now food or ANYTHING heavy is another story.

Not sure where you live, but you can find the Isopure at GNC. I get the Cytosport at The Vitamin Shoppe. If you go to www.cytosport.com they have a locator so you can find a store near you. (the locator is HARD to find - it's a little tab toward the upper right side of the page).

Thanks all this post has been truly encouraging:-)

My legs have been aching SO badly for the last 2 days. I'm really hoping I'm not dehydrated as the last 2 days I've struggled with fluids and Protein (I went back to work).

I also have a bad headache. I'm drinking as much as I can tonight. :o