Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fibromyalgia And Knee Joint Pain

I have a follow up appointment with my Ortho doctor coming up soon. I was told I can't take inflammation meds or NSAIDS any more after I had the surgery.

I'm having alot of shoulder joint pain, maybe from fibromyalgia and for a follow up where I'm trying to put off two knee replacements. I'm down 98 pounds since my last appt with him and hopefully will be down over 100 lbs by the time I get there...well i know I will be. Question is , what is everyone else taking for joint pain like this? I don't know what to ask for or even if I want another RX....I'm about drugged out !

Also, what do you take at home OTC?

I have a follow up appointment with my Ortho doctor coming up soon. I was told I can't take inflammation meds or NSAIDS any more after I had the surgery.

I'm having alot of shoulder joint pain' date=' maybe from fibromyalgia and for a follow up where I'm trying to put off two knee replacements. I'm down 98 pounds since my last appt with him and hopefully will be down over 100 lbs by the time I get there...well i know I will be. Question is , what is everyone else taking for joint pain like this? I don't know what to ask for or even if I want another RX....I'm about drugged out ![/quote']

I have fibromyalgia, osteoarthritis, and neuropathy in my arms. I take gabapentin. I used to take lyrica but it was soooo expensive. I'm managed very well and rarely take the pain meds (norco) that I'm prescribed. I've been we'll managed for about 3 yrs now with the lyrica and now gabapentin. Good luck to you!

Yes, I have severe rheumatoid arthritis and have 2 knee replacements. Will prob need shoulder replacements one day too.

Celebrex is the one drug approved by doctors for people who have WLS. I took it the night of my surgery.

Extra Strength Tylenol works for joint pain. I will miss my ibuprofen for muscle aches tho. Rheumatoid arthritis here.

I also have fibromyalgia. I take Baclofen and it has worked well.

I have fibromyalgia' date=' osteoarthritis, and neuropathy in my arms. I take gabapentin. I used to take lyrica but it was soooo expensive. I'm managed very well and rarely take the pain meds (norco) that I'm prescribed. I've been we'll managed for about 3 yrs now with the lyrica and now gabapentin. Good luck to you![/quote']

You have no clue how happy I am to see a human taking gabapentin for pain. I have arthritis and bad fibro. My DOG has arthritis in his hips and takes twice the dose of the same medicine I was on (tramadol.) I'm now having to take hudrocodone every few hours. But my dog still takes tramadol and the vet put him on gabapentin for pain as well. I was going to ask my doctor, but forgot (I didn't wanna say "well my dog takes it") lol

I also tried lyrica and it was expensive. It worked a little, but not enough to keep taking it. And after the 40+lbs I gained from it.

Thank you so much for the information. Now I have something to ask the Dr about. I have taken Tramadol before just just as needed. Never every day. I haven't heard of the others but I'll ask. I would love to find a liquid. Since the surgery I have a horrible problem taking anything pill or tablet form. It doesn't hurt....its a mental thing. I have to force myself to swallow. Sometimes they will set in my mouth until they are melting before I kick my foot on the floor and force them down. I used to take Celebrex years ago but had breathing problems when I was on it. Not sure if it was an allergic reaction or not. So , now I put it on my allergy list.

Thank you so much for the information. Now I have something to ask the Dr about. I have taken Tramadol before just just as needed. Never every day. I haven't heard of the others but I'll ask. I would love to find a liquid. Since the surgery I have a horrible problem taking anything pill or tablet form. It doesn't hurt....its a mental thing. I have to force myself to swallow. Sometimes they will set in my mouth until they are melting before I kick my foot on the floor and force them down. I used to take Celebrex years ago but had breathing problems when I was on it. Not sure if it was an allergic reaction or not. So ' date=' now I put it on my allergy list.[/quote']

Cymbalta is a good one I've heard, I can't take that type of anti-depressant. Nucynta is a new pain medication that works on the spine and in the brain so it's a blocker and a reliever. I even had luck for awhile taking Straterra oddly enough. There are plenty of things to try that aren't for pain, but it works for some reason. I think I've tried them all! Unfortunate enough for me I have bad reactions to a lot of medication so opiates have been the only really successful thing.

Gabapentin is an anticonvulsant, but if it works wahoo!! Good luck and keep me posted! I'm young but my wing extends greatly for fellow fibro friends. Feel better darlin'!

Cymbalta is a good one I've heard, I can't take that type of anti-depressant. Nucynta is a new pain medication that works on the spine and in the brain so it's a blocker and a reliever. I even had luck for awhile taking Straterra oddly enough. There are plenty of things to try that aren't for pain, but it works for some reason. I think I've tried them all! Unfortunate enough for me I have bad reactions to a lot of medication so opiates have been the only really successful thing.

Gabapentin is an anticonvulsant, but if it works wahoo!! Good luck and keep me posted! I'm young but my wing extends greatly for fellow fibro friends. Feel better darlin'!

I still claim young too :) 42 years young Thanksgiving weekend. :)

Gabapentin and Lyrica work by blocking the brain signal that sensors pain. I was on Lyrica for almost 3 years and it worked but my doses had to be increased often. To the point that they tried adding other things like cymbalta which made me feel like a drug addict. Our insurance changed and I went from paying $15/mth to $98/mth for little relief I decided to ask for a cheaper alternative. I actually like the gabapentin better except that I have to take it 3x per day and I'm barely programmed to take meds twice a day. My goal is to decrease my meds not increase so I'm glad I made the change. I'm looking forward to getting this weight off and hopefully decreasing more. Ill be on gabapentin for the rest if my life for the neuropathy but that doesn't cause pain just numbness and weakness. (Nerve damage from a car accident). Good luck all!!

Ps: never heard of gabapentin for dogs! That's wild!

I am able to take NSAIDS and I have not had any problems with them it is a DR's preference on the use of them. Some say it is ok following surgery some say not to use them DRs will vary their treatments just like some say alcohol is ok some say never use it.

you can read a wide range of differences on here from pre-op and post op diets to the do's and don'ts from many different Doctors. all treatments will vary from doctor to doctor

I am able to take NSAIDS and I have not had any problems with them it is a DR's preference on the use of them. Some say it is ok following surgery some say not to use them DRs will vary their treatments just like some say alcohol is ok some say never use it.

you can read a wide range of differences on here from pre-op and post op diets to the do's and don'ts from many different Doctors. all treatments will vary from doctor to doctor

My pcp and the clinic doctors always want to prescribe me nsaids and i keep reminding them i cant take it per sleeve surgery. They all work for Everett clinic and all can see the same history so go figure. Recently, I got some kind of staph infection on my head, and again, they want me go take ibuprofen with the antibiotics. They finally gave me tramadol because tylenol was not touching the pain.

My pcp and the clinic doctors always want to prescribe me nsaids and i keep reminding them i cant take it per sleeve surgery. They all work for Everett clinic and all can see the same history so go figure. Recently' date=' I got some kind of staph infection on my head, and again, they want me go take ibuprofen with the antibiotics. They finally gave me tramadol because tylenol was not touching the pain.[/quote']

How bad are antibiotics on our stomachs? They make sick as is, I can only imagine when I'm sleeved :/

And toradol is an NSAID