Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Please answer re: When to Drink

This has been discussed into the ground, but I want final clarification as to when we should stop drinking liquid before eating.

My doc said stop drinking liquids 1/2 hour before eating, which I've always done (and if memory serves me well, that's how we do it on this board??) However, after reading on the other board that people drink right up until they take their first bite, I'd like some feedback. Their theory is that liquid passes right through to the bottom stomach, so it helps make the bottom stomach feel full. They don't feel it's necessary to wait 1/2 hour to eat. Then again, they're only eating 1.5 cups of food per day, and in my opinion anyone would shed weight no matter when liquid is consumed with that restricted intake.

Does anyone here (that doesn't follow strict caloric intake) have significant weight loss and success by drinking Water right up until you start eating? It would sure make life easier.

I know I shouldn't be saying this and giving bad advice; I don't even know if you consider 65 lbs a "big" weight loss, but I drink with my meals and have since day one. I feel the knives being thrown at me. I can't help it; I have to drink when I eat.

I vote drink right up until the eating commences, unless you know the liquid doesn't drain right through. If the liquid is a little slow to drain out (sometimes you can tell, really :(), then as soon as the liquid has drained out you're good to eat.

For most people, that's right away.

To me, it has always seemed more important not to drink with meals, and to wait at LEAST 1/2 hour afterwards to drink. I try to wait an hour.

Kelly, I have no knives... :D Oh, wait!!! I think I still have some in my back from that other board.... Just a minute...

lol

The bottom line really is what works for you. If you are dissatisfied with your weightloss, and you drink with your meals, changing that aspect may improve your results. But if that is something that is non-negotiable, then there are other things that can be tweaked.

:D

This is one of those things that is just a "tip" that MAY help some people be more successful - how to stay full longer on less food. That's the only reason drinking with meals is not recommended. Oh, also, if you are very tight, drinking with meals may result in stuff coming back up.

I'm not super tight but drinking with meals makes me throw-up!

I've got a habit of drinking warm tea just before I eat. I've tried ice cold Water right before meals and I found I have trouble getting the food down. This was my experiment. The warm tea has a soothing effect on me. If I don't want to eat much I drink something cold.

Hey maybe its all in my head?

Donali,

I will take them all, just to get them out of your back. I have not been to the other board, and I am thankful that I never got in over there.

You are an inspiration to all of us!! I know that anytime I post a question or need something that I can always count on you to answer me. You hang in there and hold your head high. Remember, EVERYTHING HAPPENS FOR A REASON!!!!!!!

I think I'm dying again. Either that or Mr. Restriction kicked in. After all the hardcore diet rules from the other board, my guilt made me have a raw spinach & veggie salad for lunch instead of tuna sal on crackers (which works well for me.) It was truly beautiful and delicous, but I couldn't eat it. Me? Not able to eat a salad? Tossing it after all the chopping and cleaning? All I had today was 2/3 Protein shake and Water and probably (don't choke) ONE-HALF CUP salad - how flippin' funny is that?

Now as far as this "feeling" that we're supposed to feel the liquid going to the bottom, I haven't experience that. When Dr. Kuri removed my port, he first filled me, then sat me up to drink. He must have asked 10 times if the Water went down - apparently we're supposed to feel something? He was almost getting impatient because I couldn't answer him, so he slapped me back down & filled me somemore! Well, he's nice & doesn't slap, but you get the pic. All I feel is pressure everywhere, so I'm not sure if it's fullness, menstrual cramps, gas, bruises, or once again, if I'm dying.

If I'm so full, how come I don't PB? I think it's in order to make me feel normal & less paranoid.

Kel, thanks for taking the knives from Don cuz most are prolly my fault.

Vera, it most certainly is NOT all in your head. I use that very same strategy.

And if I'm out to dinner at a nice restaurant and eating something very yummy, I may drink with my meal so I can eat more. It's a choice I make, and usually I have not eaten much earlier in the day.

Kelly - thanks. :(

Lisa - some people feel very bloated on lettuce. It's something that has always gone down well for me, but many people say they have to avoid it.

I think you're one of the few who has good restriction on your first fill. What you're experiencing - the disconnect between your learned behaviours and what the band is currently allowing - is an example of why it can be beneficial to creep up on restriction. You're having to go from 1st to 4th gear, so you're getting that chug-chug until you hit your momentum. I went from 1st to 2nd to 3rd to 4th, and my transitions were a little easier because they were more gradual. We get to the same place in the end - you're just experiencing a little more culture shock this way. :D

Don, I do lettuce & raw spinach all the time. My prob was that I shouldn't have eaten lunch yet. I was full from my Protein shake (8am) and Water. But we always eat at noon here, so I started eating my salad when I wasn't hungry (***slaps hand***.) And I made a small & runny shake this morn, more like chocolate milk.

One day I can eat lots, the next little. What if I actually find a way to work with this restriction and actually don't eat unless I'm hungry... something to ponder.... letting the band do its job... hmmm.

Maybe I'll fake a gallbladder attack and get me one of dem insurance-covered scopey-scopes to relive my paranoia. Yeah, like that would remove my paranoia?

"And if I'm out to dinner at a nice restaurant and eating something very yummy, I may drink with my meal so I can eat more."

Donali, I copied and pasted this to SmartBandsters to prove it's all your fault. KIDDING!!!

How do you do the fancy bolded quoted thingys you peeps do?

How do you do the fancy bolded quoted thingys you peeps do?

I tell you, but then I'd have to kill you... lol

Copy what you want to quote, and in your new message box click the box that says "Quote". The you'll see the html tags: the starting tag is [ quote ] (without the spaces between the brackets and the words, and the ending tag is [ /quote ] (without the spaces between the brackets and the words).

If you forget the end tag, everything you write will look like a part of the quote.

:D

My heart stopped for a moment when you said you were going to post my drinking "cheat" tip to that other board... wheeww... :(

Donali, I copied and pasted this to SmartBandsters to prove it's all your fault. KIDDING!!!

Lisa or Delarla whichever one said that you are just plain wrong and should be ashamed of yourself

I beg a moritorium on talk about the other board... Please???? :D

I'm trying to forget it all happened... :(

It was all just a bad dream... :D

We apologize for Louie, who can be a total ass.

As far as shutting up about the "ugly post" at least we got the last word by Jessie posting that we were right!

Hi,

I drink up until a meal and then wait an hour after. Just like DOnali, if I want a little more at dinner time, I will sip on a hot drink before and at the beginning of the meal so I can eat a little more when I didnt eat much during the day. But most of the time I am good.

Babs in TX

334/214/170

I drink right up until I eat. I do not drink for an hour after eating and do not drink during meals and I have been losing 2 pounds a weeks since my first fill 3 weeks ago. In the beginning I did follow the rule of not drinking 1/2 before eating up until I got my fill. If liquid passes right through then I do not see the reason to wait a 1/2 hour before starting to eat. Besides it's summertime and I'm thirstier!