Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

November Bandsters!

I just counted up the weeks since my surgery, and the weight lost, and I'm at an average of 2 pounds a week! I am so surprised. I thought I was slow as molasses...darn...another food reference. I'm trying to dump those! It certainly hasn't been steady...far from it, but it's nice to see the average.

Ok. Here's my debate with myself. Dr. Spivak says cheese is fat and we shouldn't have it. but i see bandsters eating enchiladas and doing well. The debate is....should we eat like normal people and rely on protion control, or should we diet?

Cheese in moderation is OK! There is also low fat cheese and fat free cheeses...cottage, fresh mozarella, etc. Goat cheese is also lower in fat. We can on occassion indulge, but with the band waht would have been a full portion now bexomes three portions! :D especially with restaurant portions...huge!

Yerah but this is more of a theoretical thing. Do you consider yourself on a diet or on Portion Control or both? I've heard arguments in all directions.

Thanks for the congrats. i have gone so many weeks without any loss, that I must be dropping a ton and then stalling out as my pattern.

I do portion control and calorie watch on www.sparkpeople.com I will be really good 5 days a week and splurge some the other 2 days. I also eat between meals. I will need a fill when I return from my trip...I am eating more like i used to now!!! Help! I try to be good, but I am food searching and do not feel that satisfied feeling much anymore.:D

I have to be so weirdly vigilant. Example: Most days I can't do anything but drink my calories until around noon to 2PM. Today, I had a shake. Just got hungry to the point of slightly light headed, and ate (slowly) a can of tuna. a whole can. And it's only 10:30AM. that's so unusual. So now I'm up to 500 calories already today. So I need to have a light late lunch and then dinner. I'll be perfectly fine, but it's not my usual no brainer routine. I just have to keep an eye on everything. It's not as obsessive as just eating all day used to be, but I have to keep a part of me separate, as a watchdog.

Oh, here's another odd one. I can't eat much if I slouch in an easy chair. I can eat enough if I sit up straight in a dining room style chair. and I can sometimes unstick a stuck thing if I hold my arms straight over my head. (Barbara taught me that one.) It's still a learning curve.

For me, general calorie awaremness and counting helps. Eating healthy things helps. Portion Control helps. I don't think I'd lose any weight with portion control alone or I'd be eating lots of bacon, cheese, ice cream... I doubt if I'd lose if I went to Mexican restaurants much, or if I drank alcohol. Hate to waste the calories. But I know people who do portion control and eat and drink that stuff and are doing well!

Yerah but this is more of a theoretical thing. Do you consider yourself on a diet or on Portion Control or both? I've heard arguments in all directions.

Thanks for the congrats. i have gone so many weeks without any loss, that I must be dropping a ton and then stalling out as my pattern.

I consider it a lifestyle change. A "diet" indicates that I'll be able to eventually go back to the way I use to eat and that won't be the case. (The LEARN program is adamant that it isn't a diet but a weight management program.) I have to make a permanent change in what I eat, how much of it I eat, when I eat and why I eat.

It could be your body needs to adjust to the "new you" and once it catches up with itself, is ready to shed more. Every one is different but the important thing is that your weight is less!

Tom

I consider it a lifestyle change. A "diet" indicates that I'll be able to eventually go back to the way I use to eat and that won't be the case. (The LEARN program is adamant that it isn't a diet but a weight management program.) I have to make a permanent change in what I eat, how much of it I eat, when I eat and why I eat.

It could be your body needs to adjust to the "new you" and once it catches up with itself, is ready to shed more. Every one is different but the important thing is that your weight is less!

Tom

i agree it is a lifestyle change. I am glad I already had the good food down...i am trying to work on the Portion Control and eevnthough i am not filled...I have done mostly well with portion sizes. I will always continue to eat 4-5 times a day to keep my metabolism up and to not allow for those drops in sugar levels that make you soooo hungry... so far it has worked..

betsyjane..I averaged out my weight also since I have been slow lately and it is still about 2lbs a week so I guess I am good...feel a bit better about having stalled for a while...

I agree. I don't think I'd lose on Portion Control alone, although I see thqt some folks do.

You know, I've been this way since childhood, now that I think about it. Rush rush rush stop. My mother said even when I was in kindergarten, I wa sin with a class of super brains (for kindergarteners). Really top top kids. I would go at 100% intensity and keep up and excel, and then stop and not even go to school for a day or 2 to recouperate, and then right back at it. I've done that all my life in lots of ways. And now with weight loss, even though I pretty much eat and exercise the same way each day...the weight drops drastically and then stops drastically. I wonder if personality or personal style correlates with the way in which weight drops......

I agree. I don't think I'd lose on Portion Control alone, although I see thqt some folks do.

You know, I've been this way since childhood, now that I think about it. Rush rush rush stop. My mother said even when I was in kindergarten, I wa sin with a class of super brains (for kindergarteners). Really top top kids. I would go at 100% intensity and keep up and excel, and then stop and not even go to school for a day or 2 to recouperate, and then right back at it. I've done that all my life in lots of ways. And now with weight loss, even though I pretty much eat and exercise the same way each day...the weight drops drastically and then stops drastically. I wonder if personality or personal style correlates with the way in which weight drops......

Very interesting observation, BetsyJane. I think I do something similiar, but never noticed it until now! I think that when I finally do get restriction with my band, I will hopefully do like most of you do..... portion control and some dieting. I just think that if I rely on diet alone, I will fall back into the trap of dieting for awhile, and then "going off" it and bingeing on stuff I shouldn't. I am SO hoping I will learn to eat and live like a "normal" person...everything in moderation.

Angela, thanks for the good "fill" wishes and the advice. I will be needing all I can get! :faint:

Karen

I'll have to say this...Although there have been moments when I didn't know if this band was going to work, they have been very few. I'm tickled..and frankly, the continual education keeps life interesting....

Marni-After my surgery I lost weight because I was inflammed. then it stopped. After my first fill, nothing happened. After my second fill, I felt some restriction and I wasn't eating as much but I could still eat anything...just didn't feel like eating as much. it was really vague, but I thought the rest was up to me. After my third fill, i began the life of a bandster. Some people take even more fills to get it and some take less or none to get it. Don't hesitate to get to the sweet spot so you can do the work! I'm learning nonstop about my new life now.

Thank you. I don't really feel they explain this well enough to you. I am going to Napa at the end of the month and think I should get a fill before I go. If not, I think I will not have enough control and probably gain weight!

Ok. Here's my debate with myself. Dr. Spivak says cheese is fat and we shouldn't have it. but i see bandsters eating enchiladas and doing well. The debate is....should we eat like normal people and rely on protion control, or should we diet?

I like the band becuase I can eat like a normal person but rely on Portion Control. That is why I chose the band in the first place. I try to eat more Protein while limiting carbs & fats.......

Thank you. I don't really feel they explain this well enough to you. I am going to Napa at the end of the month and think I should get a fill before I go. If not, I think I will not have enough control and probably gain weight!

MArni,

Too bad I will be in Paris when you go to Napa, otherwise we could have met! I suggest you wait for a fill or you can ruin your trip if it is too much! You need to be able to enjoy. Remeber I have told you you need to vary your calories so you can lose weight or your body thinks it is starving and retains fat. Thsi is a good time to increase them a bit and anjoy!

Just today after having what I thought overindulged recently i got on the scale and I am down to 187!! And that is with my T.O.M.! :clap2:

I have heard some people say that they get restricted during and after flying. If you get a fill, do it a few weeks before your trip so you can make sure you aren't OVER filled! (Or follow Angela's advice and go underfilled and play.....)

Well I made an appointment for the fill for tomorrow. I hear all of you but I really have worked sooooo hard to get where I am that I don't want to enjoy or play and gain weight! It will kill me! So, I will fill a little and see how it goes.

Tuesday I went for a fill. The films looked great I had restriction but the barium did go through fine. By the time I got back to work, I couldn't even drink Water. I thought well I must be swollen everything should be fine tomorrow. Well, it wasn't I had to drink my water with a spoon. So I called up Dr. Thompson at Nova Body Solutions and he said get here asap. So, I went in and got a little unfill- the films looked great. Dr. Thompson made sure I could drink water before I left and boy was that water good. He got on me for waiting a whole day before calling him. He said anytime you can't drink you are in trouble. He was so kind and apologized for the restriction. Last night Joline the radiologist called and checked in to make sure everything was going o.k. I feel much better.

50lbs. lost