Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

November Bandsters!

Mine get stuck at the top. It is just horrible when you can feel it trying to push up, then down etc.... It just won;t go anywhere! I hate it and try my best to stay calm.

Question: How much are you all eating. I was told I should eat 1/2 cup of food and like 1/2 can of a shake if I have that. I would be left very hungry if I only ate 1/2 cup. I am trying to figure out if I need another fill. I think I still eat too much. I remember at the docs when they refused to give me the first fill I was never hungry. Now, I get stomach growling hungry. Please help.

Are you losing 1-2 pounds a week? I'd go by that first......

I also have 4 dogs---3 Golden Retrievers and a Standard Poodle.....but we often ahve lots more! Here's our place....We drown in dirt if we don't reclean all the time! www.GoldenRetrieverCamp.com

I also have 4 dogs---3 Golden Retrievers and a Standard Poodle.....but we often ahve lots more! Here's our place....We drown in dirt if we don't reclean all the time! www.GoldenRetrieverCamp.com

BetsyJane.... I LOVE this camp!! If I dye my 3 German Shepherds a nice, golden color, could they come?? :)

What a neat idea---my dream life! I am happy for you; sounds like you have a happy, active, outdoorsy life. How wonderful!

Karen

Hey Karen. We take other large breed dogs too when we have room....but we are in Houston....

Christmas was fun. 14 large dogs in the house......

The way I figure if I need a fill is if I'm

1. food seeking....feeling that insatiable thing

2. Not losing weight while eating in a healthy way.

I sometimes eat about a cup and sometimes a cup and a half. I do better counting calories than cup, but I do eat on small plates.

Hey Karen. We take other large breed dogs too when we have room....but we are in Houston....

Christmas was fun. 14 large dogs in the house......

The way I figure if I need a fill is if I'm

1. food seeking....feeling that insatiable thing

2. Not losing weight while eating in a healthy way.

I sometimes eat about a cup and sometimes a cup and a half. I do better counting calories than cup, but I do eat on small plates.

Wish I lived closer to you.... my dogs would love a place like yours!

Good tips on how you know when you need a fill. I go for my 2nd fill next Monday and I am so anxious to know how this Band is supposed to work. So far, I haven't seen any benefit beyond trying to eat healthier on my own (because I know I should) since I haven't felt any restriction. I can't wait to feel like a "real" Bandster.....

Karen

Oh, sorry, Angela! I'm here.

I love the concept of mindful eating. I came at that concept from another avenue. Joan Borysenko wrote a bunch of books about mindfulness based on her research on psychoimmunology. I love the term.

I was in Thailand a year ago, and I was reminded watching the monks meditate in the temple, with loud tourists practically walking over them! I also do think that my past bad eating was done in a trance, so it isn't that foreign a concept to my insides to have a healthy trance now. I'm also finding that I can't get any solid food down in the morning unless I totally relax, and I can get way too much food down in the evening unless I really focus.

Glad you are back! I try when I am at home, but at work it is different becasue my pager can go off any minute or I'll have to ruch down to the ER and so mindful eating is not very practical. :hungry:

Karen, I know how you feel. My first and second fill did nothing. I was kicking myself and holding off on getting another fill, thinking I was failing. then I got my third fill and it all made sense. i had restriction and I could follow the plan. Wish I'd gotten it much sooner and quit beating myself up!

Hey Angela. I'll bet there's a way to do mindful on the run. Probably terribly difficult. I'm going to see if I can feel something like that......

You'd think Id be able to answer that. Since my last fill I havent' lost as much. Id say sone weeks I lose nothing then I lose a few.... it's just not enough!

I have 3 retriever/lab mixes and a Lhasa!

Karen, I know how you feel. My first and second fill did nothing. I was kicking myself and holding off on getting another fill, thinking I was failing. then I got my third fill and it all made sense. i had restriction and I could follow the plan. Wish I'd gotten it much sooner and quit beating myself up!

Hey Angela. I'll bet there's a way to do mindful on the run. Probably terribly difficult. I'm going to see if I can feel something like that......

You hit it on the head. I feel like if I call the dr for another fill, Im failing thus far. Makes sense. Ill call. Like I said, I feel more but still not enough. After the first fill I felt no change. THis time I do feel it if I eat too fast or too large. But, as far as limiting quantity, still not there.

I just wanted to ask if anyone has found good alcoholic beverages to drink while out? I don't drink much, but love wine coolers, and now that I don't want to even try the carbonation, I always have to take my blender and my own mixers to parties....can be a pain in the neck. I just don't have a clue as to what you can just buy, ready to drink, thats sortof like a wine cooler, or sweet in otherwords. I don't really like the taste of alcohol, so I don't know. Any ideas? I love white russians, and mudslides, but again, pain in the butt.

Kristi

I have thought about adding vodka to some crystal light or koolaid, but who knows? I as seriously in need of some helpLOL.

Do u Like Cosmos? Those go down really good and you only need a few. Try it u might like it. I liked beer and on occasion, i can down a few. But I try to stay away cause I don't want to mess up the band. So since the band I do the cosmos and haven't had any problems (yet). Have to say (yet) it;) 's the jinx thing.

Marni-After my surgery I lost weight because I was inflammed. then it stopped. After my first fill, nothing happened. After my second fill, I felt some restriction and I wasn't eating as much but I could still eat anything...just didn't feel like eating as much. it was really vague, but I thought the rest was up to me. After my third fill, i began the life of a bandster. Some people take even more fills to get it and some take less or none to get it. Don't hesitate to get to the sweet spot so you can do the work! I'm learning nonstop about my new life now.

I just counted up the weeks since my surgery, and the weight lost, and I'm at an average of 2 pounds a week! I am so surprised. I thought I was slow as molasses...darn...another food reference. I'm trying to dump those! It certainly hasn't been steady...far from it, but it's nice to see the average.

Ok. Here's my debate with myself. Dr. Spivak says cheese is fat and we shouldn't have it. but i see bandsters eating enchiladas and doing well. The debate is....should we eat like normal people and rely on protion control, or should we diet?

I just counted up the weeks since my surgery, and the weight lost, and I'm at an average of 2 pounds a week! I am so surprised. I thought I was slow as molasses...darn...another food reference. I'm trying to dump those! It certainly hasn't been steady...far from it, but it's nice to see the average.

Ok. Here's my debate with myself. Dr. Spivak says cheese is fat and we shouldn't have it. but i see bandsters eating enchiladas and doing well. The debate is....should we eat like normal people and rely on protion control, or should we diet?

Congrats on the weight loss! 2 pounds a week is a GREAT average even if it hasn't been 2 pounds every week.

As to cheese, there are lower fat options. Mozzarella is usually made from part-skim milk. And there is 2% cheeses out there. Fat, in moderation, is not a bad thing. You're body needs fats as well. Not as much fat as most Americans eat but you don't want to be entirely fat free.

Tom

Yerah but this is more of a theoretical thing. Do you consider yourself on a diet or on Portion Control or both? I've heard arguments in all directions.

Thanks for the congrats. i have gone so many weeks without any loss, that I must be dropping a ton and then stalling out as my pattern.

Wish I lived closer to you.... my dogs would love a place like yours!

Good tips on how you know when you need a fill. I go for my 2nd fill next Monday and I am so anxious to know how this Band is supposed to work. So far, I haven't seen any benefit beyond trying to eat healthier on my own (because I know I should) since I haven't felt any restriction. I can't wait to feel like a "real" Bandster.....

Karen

I am so glad fill day is here for you!! Now you need to remember the rules..chew, chew, chew and notice how every bit of food goes down so tat if it feels like it is stuck you do not eat it again...or chew it VERY well. Talk soon!