Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

November Bandsters!

I got my first fill today 1 day short of 6 weeks from surgery. The actual fill was uneventful. The port was easily found and the saline inserted. I have a 10 cm band that holds 4 cc. The doctor fills the band and then removes liquid. Because I mentioned that the last few days the only thing keeping me on track was will power as I was very hungry, even after eating, he left 2 cc's in my band. He had me drink Water until I was full. After about 4 ounces, I still felt hungry but could feel the water backing up into my esophagus. After about 30 minutes, the pain increased. I went shopping and walked, and walked and walked. The doctor did tell me to go back to liquids for a day. I managed to get 8 ounces of Boost Glucose Control down over the course of 3.5 hours.

I felt pretty weak by the time I got home and was still in pain. Dug out the percocet and the medicine they gave me for an upset stomach. I got down about 1 cup of cream of mushroom Soup over an hour or so. An hour after that, I got down a bit of protein-enchanced pudding but can feel it in the esophagus. I don't feel full but I do feel pain if I eat. Guess that's incentive enough not to eat! Today was, by far, the worst day I've had since I've left the hospital. And, to add insult to injury, even though my clothes are much looser than they were 3 weeks ago (last time at doctor), I'm only down 1 pound in the three weeks. :angry I'm still doing better than 2 pounds per week on average, which is above their expectation, but I've been very good and was hoping for a bit more. I just need to focus on what I have done and not what I didn't!

The doctor did say he might have to take a bit out if I'm too restricted but wanted to give me a couple of days to adapt. I go back in 6 weeks and will likely get another fill unless I can't handle this level of fill and then I go back soner.

Good luck to others that are approaching their first fills. I was worried about the pain of the fill itself but the lidacaine injection to numb the area was the most painful and it was only slightly irratating.

Tom

Hi Everyone,

I had my first fill yesterday. 4cc's in my 10cc VG band. I went to Dr. Allen in Denver and was very impressed with his knowledge of the band as well as his great bedside manner. Most important, he takes Mexico patients and doesnt make you feel like a freak for going to Mexico for the procedure. He does all fills under fluoro. It was great to see my band and the port and know that everything is in the right position. I dont know about restriction yet as he has me on liquids for 3 days.

One very important thing he told me was that he didnt think i would have the amount of restriction i want/need until i am at 6 or 7 cc's full but that he wont go from a zero fill to a full fill because our heads need time to adjust to the new rules of band eating. He said if needed i can get another fill in 6 to 8 wks and he will take me up to 6 or 7cc's then.

I will update in a few days on restriction... i can tell there is a little now from the liquids i am drinking but i suspect that is from the stomach swelling alittle after a fill.

Kim

I'm getting my first fill this friday 12/22. I'm nervous cause I'm on my own over the holidays. The doc's out of town for the holidays for a week. So if i have problems i just have to deal with it until x-mas is over. Probably just nerves. Anyway, hi i'm Kelley new to the bandsters pages.

Hey, just a quick note on the lidocaine during a fill. When I went in for my first fill, they told me I could have a numbing shot or not, but that the shot was more painful than not having it. I didn't get the numbing shot, and really had no pain. Just a simple needle stick. And she fumbled around to find the port, but there was no pain involved......

But I made a big mistake. I stayed on mushy foods after I got my fill, and didn't think I had much restriction. Then I read that awesome article Woodys posted about how to know if you have enough fill...and realized I hadn't switched off of soft foods! Difficult foods are best. So yesterday, I tried to have a slightly overcooked (tough) chicken breast and raw veges for breakfast.....chew chew chew.....and could only get through half a breast and actually felt full!!!!!!!! I must be a slow learner....

I am so weak. Is everyone really taking Vitamins and eating right? I mean...I keep forgetting to take my vitamins and heck...obviously I don't eat right or I wouldn't be fat! I have been feeling weak for days. I feel like I could just drop at any minute. I hate to run to doctors for every little thing. Any ideas on how to get some energy?

Hey, just a quick note on the lidocaine during a fill. When I went in for my first fill, they told me I could have a numbing shot or not, but that the shot was more painful than not having it. I didn't get the numbing shot, and really had no pain. Just a simple needle stick. And she fumbled around to find the port, but there was no pain involved......

But I made a big mistake. I stayed on mushy foods after I got my fill, and didn't think I had much restriction. Then I read that awesome article Woodys posted about how to know if you have enough fill...and realized I hadn't switched off of soft foods! Difficult foods are best. So yesterday, I tried to have a slightly overcooked (tough) chicken breast and raw veges for breakfast.....chew chew chew.....and could only get through half a breast and actually felt full!!!!!!!! I must be a slow learner....

Being a man, pain is not an option. <G> The lidocaine was only slightly uncomfortable so I think I'll continue to take any and all drugs they offer. ;-)

I had 4 ounces of Carnation Instant Breakfast with Protein Powder and Peanut Butter earlier this morning. It took an hour to finish it. I had 4 ounces of V8 juice an hour after I finished that and I got it done in 30 minutes. I'm working on a poached egg now. Took two small bites but feel I need to rest. I can't say that I've yet felt full but I've felt pain and that's enough of an incentive not to eat. Energy level is not great but need to muster up the energy to make it to work.

Tom

I'm getting my first fill this friday 12/22. I'm nervous cause I'm on my own over the holidays. The doc's out of town for the holidays for a week. So if i have problems i just have to deal with it until x-mas is over. Probably just nerves. Anyway, hi i'm Kelley new to the bandsters pages.

Welcome Kelley!!!!!!!!:clap2: Good luck on your fill... do just liquids like they tell you and you will be fine... :girl_hug:

I finally went back to work yesterday after being really sick for a few weeks and of course not moving much. I weighed myself there on two scales (hospital) got the exact weight from both and realized my scale here is off by two punds more!!! so yesterday I saw I had lost more than I thought since I had weighed that early morning at home no clothes and it was 2 lbs more! :clap2: So since I trust the hosp. scales more I am going by that and always subtract 2 lbs. at home. Anyway..... I wlaked alot at work, 12 hr shift and caught a cold on Sunday :sick and still had my T.O.M.

I guess the combo of moving around more, my T.O.M. gone, etc. I weighed my self on my home scale and it said 205!!!! minus the two I know is off it is 203!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:faint: I can't believe it!!!!!!!!!!!!:clap2: :clap2: :girl_hug:

I was also good on my Water yesterday and the day before.

PRBrooksie-If I'm reading it right, you're averaging losing over 2 pounds a week. Maybe that's a bit too fast? Not sure. Did you stop caffieiene before the surgery? Are you eating a Vitamin each morning now? Are you getting enough Protein? Are you depressed and missing food and trying to figure out what to fill the time with? Are you exercising?

If you're doing what you can and are still low on energy, I think it would be worth calling the doctor. Maybe they have some good tips.

I am so weak. Is everyone really taking Vitamins and eating right? I mean...I keep forgetting to take my vitamins and heck...obviously I don't eat right or I wouldn't be fat! I have been feeling weak for days. I feel like I could just drop at any minute. I hate to run to doctors for every little thing. Any ideas on how to get some energy?

Brooksie...

Yes I take chewable vitamins every day!!!! VERY IMPORTANT! Protein is what builds your body and keeps you healthy...so make sure you get at least 75g of protein a day. Take also extra chewable vit C it helps build your immune system. Eat your protein firsdt and then veggies and last anything else if it fits! Your body is probably in starvation mode and using up muscle more than fat and you can get very sick! Please make sure you follow what you need to do!

Hi everyone, Thank you all for the great insightful postings. I am not having luck finding a chewable Vitamin for adults. The thought of Flintstones just isn't doing it for me. Any other recommendations?

Hi everyone, Thank you all for the great insightful postings. I am not having luck finding a chewable Vitamin for adults. The thought of Flintstones just isn't doing it for me. Any other recommendations?

My doctor said two children's chewable is fine. I did find Centrum Liquid, which is made for adults, but it's a bit pricey. I got Equate chewables at Wal-Mart as well as the Centrum Liquid. Ask the pharmacist for a recommendation. Pre-fill, I had no problem with other pills (didn't try Vitamins in pill form) so you might be OK with "normal" vitamins too. Even after my fill yesterday, I had no problems with Tylenol or percocet. Since I've got the liquid and chewable vitamins, I've not tried the pills.

Tom

Hi,

Wjole foods or Trader Joe's has excellent adult chewable vitamins. Please do use those....flinstones really does not do it. I am a Dr. of Naturopathy and I use those since I can no longer use what I was taking. Also use extra Vit. C to keep up your immune system.

Hi everyone!

I am not doing anything I am suppose to do! I did take my Vitamin this afternoon and I am eating some tuna and a salad. I need to get in the groove of taking care of myself. I think it too could be some depression. Thank you for all your support. Oh and Yes I was a 12 pack of diet coke a day person and now...maybe one 20 oz a day.

Tom i know what you are saying ...i got my frist fill of 2.0 cc this past weekend and i don't know i don't feel full exactally but then again do we really know what full feels like? i mean before surgery i think we went beyond full ....so anyways ..but i do get a tight feeling in my chest i think when i am one bit too many ..so i stop and it will pass in about 10 mins but then i am not hungry so i guess that is my full spot ...Today i did eat more than regular...i had a packet of tuna for brekfest ...took a hour to eat and then lunch was chicken and mushrooms and a few bites of rice but not many ...that sticks big time ......

Tom i know what you are saying ...i got my frist fill of 2.0 cc this past weekend and i don't know i don't feel full exactally but then again do we really know what full feels like? i mean before surgery i think we went beyond full ....so anyways ..but i do get a tight feeling in my chest i think when i am one bit too many ..so i stop and it will pass in about 10 mins but then i am not hungry so i guess that is my full spot ...Today i did eat more than regular...i had a packet of tuna for brekfest ...took a hour to eat and then lunch was chicken and mushrooms and a few bites of rice but not many ...that sticks big time ......

Talked to the doctor's office and they said just stay on Step 2 (mushies/liquid) for a couple of days and slowly add in other foods. I was hurting all over (have rheumatoid arthritis) so went to soak in the jacuzzi tub and fell asleep and went under the Water. NOT a good way to wake up. I'm totally drained today and out of energy walking from the bathroom to the sofa. The doctor's office said take it easy, have high-protein foods, and I should be fine. If I continue to have pain with meals (I'm not) or vomiting (again, not an issue), to call before the end of the week and they'll have a doctor remove some of the fill. (My surgeon is out for the rest of the week.) I'm far more worried about the energy level than anything else. I don't feel safe driving for fear I'll just fall asleep and this has never been an issue.

Well, back to sipping on my Protein Shake and another nap. <sigh>

Tom