Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

After surgery doctor says I will need to inject myself one a day for 2 wks with Lovenox to prevent blood clots, anyone else have to do something like this? Im kinda scared about having to inject myself.
:blink:

My surgeon said I would get it while in the hospital. Do a search here for "Heprin" there are a lot of folks who had to get shots in the hospital and some who had to do more after.

I have to do it before any surgery. Because I have Protein S deficiency. Have u everhad or anyone in your family ever had blood clots?

Hi I had to do this for a 10 days after the (hated) gastric band was inserted and even although I do not dislike needles I could not bring myself two do it so I had my husband and daughter to help. It was very easy and quite painless as far as needles area concerned.

Elizabeth :-)))

I had to do it. it's not so bad if ya do it right. One of the nurse's will show you exactly what to do. It's easy. Don't worry!

I have to do it before any surgery. Because I have Protein S deficiency. Have u everhad or anyone in your family ever had blood clots?

no i havent.

Hi I had to do this for a 10 days after the (hated) gastric band was inserted and even although I do not dislike needles I could not bring myself two do it so I had my husband and daughter to help. It was very easy and quite painless as far as needles area concerned.

Elizabeth :-)))

Thanks elizabeth! that makes me feel little better!! :)

I had to do it. it's not so bad if ya do it right. One of the nurse's will show you exactly what to do. It's easy. Don't worry!

Oh good, thanks Nate!

I had to do it for 3 weeks. My daughter did it for me, but it really is painless. I didn't mind having the shots, better safe than sorry.

I did it for myself. It wasn't a big deal, but lovenox does leave some amazing bruises, so be prepared for that. I switched sides morning and night and varied the injection sites, but it was all basically low on my belly. I did shots for 4 days before and 2 weeks after surgery. One word of advice, if your doctor will give you the shots to take home, TAKE THEM. Even with my good insurance, the copay worked out to between $75 and $100 per shot.

I also get to take them for two weeks after. My package came with a dvd that made the process pretty clear. I dont have much feeling in my belly so I trust that I'll make it through.

I take lovanox twice daily they come pre filled IRS easy and they don't hurt you will be bruised from them though.

I did it for myself. It wasn't a big deal' date=' but lovenox does leave some amazing bruises, so be prepared for that. I switched sides morning and night and varied the injection sites, but it was all basically low on my belly. I did shots for 4 days before and 2 weeks after surgery. One word of advice, if your doctor will give you the shots to take home, TAKE THEM. Even with my good insurance, the copay worked out to between 75 and 100 per shot.[/quote']

My copayment is 10$ for a weeks worth. I have Cigna. Definitely check with your insurance because they are crazy expensive without it.

I have never heard of this. Is it something were supposed to do?

I think every dr is different. I only had to start them after I got my clot I use them and take Coumadin I will be on them for the next 5 months.