Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello,:) I'm new here. I found this site when looking at gastric by-pass surgery. I didn't know about the Lapband until recently. I like the idea of it because it is not to invasive. I've been thinking about doing some thing but the thought of major invasive surgery put me off.

I went to my primary care doctor 2 days ago and he gave me the name of a Dr. to see here in Tucson Az. I called to make an appointment and was told by the person on the phone I'd have to attend a class before I could see the doctor. That's ok with me I want to learn more. But I was put off by the fact that she said if I had the LapBand done they would not submit to my insurance even tho I have already checked with them about the coverage:faint: . That sent me reeling because she used the words "we couldn't be bothered" To bill for this surgery:eek: . As I have no idea how much this may cost it blew the wind out of my sails so to speak.

I have had and on going problem with weight and right now at 5ft 3 I weigh 262. I have been seriously giving my all to loose for the last 2 years by gym visits 3 times a week and kept a food diary for a year yet lost next to nothing. Finally my doctor told me to stop stressing out about it but that's hard I now am on diabeties meds, blood pressure is high and I feel like s---t right now:( .

I've signed up for the class but now I'm worried maybe I can't afford the surgery if I have to pay and then collect from my insurance. Maybe I'm just worrying over nothing. I just don't know but with my usual luck that would be another not so funny joke pulled on me:confused: .

I've read a lot of your posts here but never talked guess it's time now for that. Anyone who would like to share information with me I would be very happy to hear from you :help: ....thanks, Diana

she used the words "we couldn't be bothered" To bill for this surgery:eek: .

diana,

i would have been very upset and let down myself :phanvan . if you have checked with your insurance and they will cover the surgery, i would suggest looking around for another dr. and also i would look into the other places 1st before doing the orientation, because some dr. require different things. for example: my dr. has an online orientation you have to complete instead of going to a live class. and sometimes you have to go the class that is at that specific hospital. my final thought on this would be-don't let this one bad experience stop you...shop around just like you do for an insurance or cell phone company. you will find the one that's best for you :)

Diana,

I agree, keep looking for another doctor in your area. They are the people that are supposed to bill your insurance company. If they "can't be bothered", makes me wonder what will happen when you call for a fill. Best of luck to you and keep on looking!

KJ

I agree, it would have totally made me rethink things to have been told that. On the opening LBT page, about 3/4 of the way down on the page is an area called USA Local Lap Band Support or something like that (now that I'm not looking at it, I can't remember what it is called!!!). Anyway it is something about USA & Local! When you click into there it will have the states listed alphabetically. You can then click on Arizona, and maybe find some info from others in your state...what Dr. they used...if they used the same Dr, how it went...that kind of thing.

The cost, the lack of local Dr.'s doing the surgery,lack of insurance that would cover, or cover without years of jumping through hoops, and the attitude of many US Dr.'s concerning the surgery is what sent so many of us to Mexico. I wish you luck as you research--don't let one woman's crappy attitude sway you. Read everything you can get your hands on, so you can make an educated decision. Getting the band was literally a life saver for me...I hope all works out well for you!

Kat

Wow!!! thank you so much.....all of you. I've been amazed at how you support each other and these answsers have been awsum. I read them all to my husband and he was so impressed with your posts.

Reading them has reminded me of what I always tell others when they are down about something but isn't it funny how you forget when it concerns you?

kat187 thanks so much for telling me about the site to check my state, Randi I'll sure use that link you sent,Karen thanks for the good wishes and Lauren thanks for starting this chain of careing when I didn't know where to go or who to talk to I thought about all of you......Diana

Another suggestion is to go to Inameds website at http://www.lapband.com/lapband/portal.do

You can find a list of doctors in your area there that do the band. I find it ridiculous that a physician's office would refuse to file insurance, isn't that their job? If you have already checked and your insurance company has said they do cover the procedure, then I would find a physician whose staff does what they are supposed to do and file for you.

I was one line last night until 2:30:typing: reading about lap band and even found another Dr here in Tucson besides the other two I was given by my PCP. Several of the people on his website even had my insurance and said they had no problem being ceritfied one even shared her surprise at being certified in a week. Of course I won't depend on that but it would be nice:) .

I found so much information thru this site I'm excited again about the prospects of actually seeing results with the surgery:clap2: . I have been so frustrated after going to a dietician for two years and the gym 3 days a week and not getting any real results. I've kept a food log and everybody just says I used have lost more weight but I haven't. My PCP told me to stop beating myself up over it but I'm 63 now and I want to get rid of these lbs. and the lap band is the route I wish I had know about years ago. Hugs:girl_hug: to you all!!! Thanks for the site link I'll go there too.....Diana

Diana, I think you will be very pleased with the band. I think all of us understand where you are coming from. People seem to be much more sympathetic to those who are trying to quit smoking or drinking. They seem to think that losing weight is just a matter of willpower and don't understand that for us, it is an addiction just like cigarettes are to smokers. It is not easy for us to just stop, especially when just about everyplace you go, every event, etc. has food involved with it. My pcp does not believe in WLS. She flat out told me it was the easy way out and she would not recommend or support it in any way. Of course, she weights about 105 soaking wet and has no idea what it means or how it feels to be obese. She thought the answer to all my problems was Meridia. All it did was make me dizzy, nauseous, lightheaded and incoherent. I finally stopped taking them, and dropped her as my PCP.

The lapband is a wonderful tool and it has done wonderful things for me. I am not losing as fast as many people, but since getting my first fill in June, I am losing the recommended 1-2 pounds per week and am thrilled with it. I am sure you will love having the band.

Best of luck to you and please keep us posted on your progress.

Well, My insurance doesnt cover ANY weight loss surgery. I really thought long and hard about the $$$$ and, I took out a loan, my payments are like $200 a month. Total was about $13,000. We will pay it off sonner with tax refunds, I look at it as....a car payment. Instead of a newer car I'll drive my 1999 beetle a few more years.

TOTALLY worth it to me and me families budget.

Good luck to you :girl_hug:

Diana,

If you are able to come to Phoenix, I think that you will be pleasantly surprised by the compassion and care given by Dr. Terry Simpson and his staff. You can check on him at www.drsimpson.com

Come check in with us on the Arizona part of the board.

I just cut out a notice about a lapband Seminar here in Tucson at the Omni I'm going to sign up for it it's on Nov. 4th. It's going to be the doctor you gave me the link to.

I can't remember who suggested I call the Doctor back to clearifiy the remarkd made by the Tucson dr's office and must say they didn't set my mind at ease. this time she argued with me as to weather my insurance would cover lap band and questioned why I would want lapband. I also thru searching found another gastric surgon in tucson and she argued that with me too. I had an appointment for one of the first doctor's seminar for the 26 of this month I cancelled it. I really don't know how the doctor is but after two converstaions with one of his staff members I really have a bad feeling about dealing with him.

I really was hoping to get a surgon here but what the heck my husband says we can go there for two days....I'm going to look for the AZ part of the board....much thanks to you all Diana

Diana,

Here's are some names of lapband surgeons located within 100 miles of Tuscon:

<TABLE width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD>MONTE J SCHWARTZ

4530 EAST CAMP LOWELL DR

TUCSON, AZ 85712

Distance: 5 miles

Telephone: 520-320-1200

</TD></TR><TR><TD>

STEPHEN BURPEE

1980 W HOSPITAL DR #213

TUCSON, AZ 85704

Distance: 7 miles

Telephone: 520-219-8690

</TD></TR><TR><TD>

PATRICK M. CHAISSON

1980 W HOSPITAL DR #213

TUCSON, AZ 85704

Distance: 7 miles

Telephone: 520-219-8630

</TD></TR><TR><TD>

MICHAEL J ORRIS

1492 S MILL AVE #201

TEMPE, AZ 85281

Distance: 100 miles

Telephone: 480-829-6100

</TD></TR><TR><TD>

JOHN DEBARROS

1492 S MILL #201

TEMPE, AZ 85281

Distance: 100 miles

Telephone: 480-446-9474

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Also, here's a link that will show you lapband surgeons who have self-identified on the Obesity Help website: http://www.obesityhelp.com/morbidobesity/bariatric+surgeons+in+arizona.html