Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Doctor Help

Okay, I need a little support on what to say to my doctor.

First of all he's never been overly friendly but he's nice and I trust him. But he's not the guy I would talk to about my cats or something because he just doesn't talk much.

About 3 months after my surgery I told him I wanted a fill. He pretty much grilled me, about what I had been eating, how much exercise I had been doing, was I following all the rules, etc. and reluctantly (or so it seemed to me) agreed to a fill.

That was 3 months ago, I'm almost at the 6 month mark and I have had only 1 fill and I still have a normal appetite and I haven't lost any more then the initial 20lbs I lost. I haven't gained, but I haven't lost either.

Because of his reaction to the first time I asked for a fill I'm kind of afraid to go back and tell him I haven't lost any thing and I want another fill. I'm afraid he's going to grill me again, and to be honest I haven't been the best banster I could be, and I don't want to lie to him about what I've done. But I'm afraid if I tell him the truth that he will refuse me a fill until I do exactly what he wants.

Any opinions on this?

Hi Kat, I would go to your Dr and request another fill for the first one did not do anything and you have been stuck for three months. Your Dr should give you another fill! Its been 6 mos after all. Even if he acts the same as he did the first time, who cares if he gives you a fill. Yours the one that is paying for his services. This is your band. You don't have to tell him all, just tell him for the most part, you were doing what a bandster is needed to do. You might of gone off of the plan, but you drank your Water and exercised. The main thing is to get your 2nd fill!

Good luck!

Ladydi

I would also tell him you can eat an entire chicken breast. Don't ask me why, but that's what they ask me when I go in for a fill. ;) I guess if you can, then you need a fill.

Be assertive. If you are not losing, then you need another fill.

Sounds like he is the one having the trouble following the rules. Not that we as bandsters don't want to lose weight, because we do; but, I don't think getting a fill should be used as a "reward" for "going on a diet". The band is supposed to be a tool to help us cut down the amount of food we eat in the first place. And getting fills are a tool as well. It sounds like your surgeon wants you to use your "will power" to lose weight just like you've tried to do so many times before.

It would seem to me that he would be asking some of the questions about your appetite and if it is being regulated better. Sounds like the whole idea of having lap band surgery was lost on him.

Maybe I'm missing something since I'm a new bandster. I really would be interested to hear what the experienced bandsters have to say about your dilemma.

Girl,

Sorry but he is not doing you, his patient the best service right now. With his attitude he will discourage you from the entire banding process and it is a great tool. He needs retraining, but that is better saved for a nother subject. Tell him that if you do not have restriction in your band, then it is not working for you. I would not leave his office without a fill. Let him know that you are paying for his services and that for the past 6 months, he has not been servicing you or your needs. If this does not work, I would not be above finding another physician to do my fills. I love my physician, he did my fill this week, and told me that if I did not feel restriction to come back. Not come back in a month, to come back right away. Go get your fill girl!

Welp I went and saw the doctor today, and I didn't have a problem at all. He said, so how are things going, and I said, the same, I haven't lost any more, and he said...well then you need a fill. And that was that.

No grilling me about what I'm eating or the type of exercise I'm doing. Maybe he was just having a bad day last time?? Any way I'm scheduled for a fill on the 27th so hopefully things will pick up from there!

Glad things went well. NEVER admit to not staying on the bandwagon, everyone falters from time to time- even him!!

Besides its not like you were eating 16oz ribeye and banana split every meal!! People perceive fat people as shoving food in, I think our bodies are just better at utilizing what we give them.

Now that's more like it! I'm glad you didn't have to pull out your big guns to deal with your doctor.

I have a question that has just come up for me that I would like to hear from you all about: How are your fills done. My doctor mentioned something about doing it using xray. I guess that surprised me. I knew there were different ways to go about it, but I assumed he would do it some other way since my port feels so prominent (when I am lying on my back). Is xray a method that you all have heard much about?

Also tell me if I am using incorrect Messageboard Etiquette by not starting a whole new thread of my own. I don't want to do it the wrong way. I'm prone to guilt.

Yeah Heather!!!

Drcollier... there are several methods that docs use to give fills, just depends on the doc. Some use ultrasound to locate your port, some feel for it and some use flouro. I tihnk flouro is the xray you are referring to. I think flouro gives the most accurate results but I would never use it unless there was a problem. Just seems like a waste of money to me.... but that's just my opinion.

I'm not totally clear on this point either. My doctor does mine in the radiology department of the hospital, and uses what I assume is an X-ray. I'm not sure if this is the same as flouro or not.... I don't pay more for this and there is a table that is standing up, I stand on it, and they rotate it until I am laying down. Then there is a little screen that takes little 30 second video of my stomach and the doctor uses that as well as pushing around my belly to find the port.

At my aftercare dr's office, you get the fill, swallow white liquid in front of the flouro and the tech watches it to see how quickly is goes thru the band, stoma, etc. to see how tight the band is. You can watch it travel thru your system and then the dr. knows all is well in there.