Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-surgery liquid diet suggestions....please

I have my consult with my doctor on November 30th and I already know he requires a liquid diet 2 weeks pre-op and that he recommends Optifast.< /p>

From research I have found Optifast to be a bit pricey and I was wondering if some of you could recommend different options for the liquid diet and if you know pricing that's wonderful but I don't want you to go through any trouble.

Thanks- Sheree

Hi Sheree,

Many people manage on the all-liquid postop diet without buying something like Optifast, and I'd imagine the same could be done pre-operatively. I lived on Protein shakes from the supermarket, and since then there's been an explosion in Protein drinks of all kinds. Go to your local health-food store or even a large supermarket, and I'll bet you'll find a wide array of high-protein drinks.

Good luck!

As a natural health store owner, I can tell you there are a MILLION Protein shakes possibilities on the market. The ready-to-drink ones may be convenient for packing a lunch, but they'll be spendier than powders.

With powders you also have the option to add a little sweetness to it -- I think some of the low-carb powders are a little bland -- and you can do so with stevia powder (or liquid). A very little stevia goes a LONG way, so start with a rediculously small amount and taste before adding more.

A couple of stevia producing companies now make flavored stevia liquids that can be added to bottled Water for flavor variety without adding calories. So if you're sensitive (or just philosophically averse) to the commercial fake sweeteners on the market, stevia is a GREAT option.

Back to proetin -- if any of you are sensitive to dairy and/or soy (which seems to be all the doctors and dieticians recommend -- why not, it's so readily available), there are options.

My surgery is a few weeks away yet, but I'm planning to use rice Protein and hemp protein mixes (which are a little gritty, but do provide a modicum of Fiber that soy and whey do not), as well as a new line from Nature's Plaus called Ultra Energy shake (comes in three flavors). These uses soy, combined with pea protein and rice protein, provides 25 gr of protein pe rserving, with four grams of net carb and four grams of Fiber. It's a little spendy, as each can makes only 11 serveing can retails for $23.95.

Another non-soy/whey option I like is Peaceful Planet's Supreme Meal, which derives it's protein blend from peas, spirulina, rice, and sprouted quinoa, millet, amaranth and broccoli. This one is VERY GREEN, and has kind of a nutty flavor. 17gr of protein per serving with 12 gr carb (2 gr fiber, 0 sugar). It retails for $40.89 for 20 servings, but you might find it discounted locally (I do).

If you like the greenfoods drinks, I think they'll be good to add in both the pre- and post-op phases, as they'll give you energy, keep your immune system primed, and take out the trash as your body detoxes from a lifetime of culinary overload. A little stevia makes those taste just great, too. Barlean's Greens tastes the best; Vitamineral Green from HealthForce Nutritional is all organic, but there are many others. They range from $30-$50 for 30 servings (smaller sizes are available for trial).

Thank you for this, it really helps.

NW Island Girl:

I'm not sensitive to dairy or soy, the greenfoods sound interesting because with my Iron deficiency I really need something that will give me some energy. I want to try something before I have to so that I can make sure I'm mentally prepared for a liquid diet, I've only ever tried it for 2 days and thought I would starve to death and mostly slept the whole time.

If you can tell me more about them I'd like that. I'm also going to go to one of the homefoods stores in my area.

Thank you- Sheree