Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

To Those Who Are Afraid of Band Surgery

The most common thing I hear from people preparing for WLS is that they are afraid. Usually, despite the assurance that they know the surgery is extremely safe, they still have cold feet.

My solution to the problem is recognize that it is normal to be afraid of any surgery, whether its a cavity repair (dental), appendectomy, or a heart transplant.

I on the other hand, am way more afraid of what may happen to me at BMI of 50! Working in the hospital and seeing what happens to these people is frightening. Trust me, whatever you think is the worst complication imaginable from the lap-band surgery (which is extradordinarily rare) is way BETTER than seeing what these patients go through.

<o></o>

If you have an unhealthy BMI, you can look forward to:

<o></o>

Dying younger (almost a guarantee that WLS takes off years from your life, if you don’t believe me, PM me and I’ll tell you about a Harvard study correlating BMI vs death, extremely scary).

2)Diabetes and all of its ugly consequences on other organ systems

3)Hypertension

4)Heart problems

5)Stroke

6)weight-bearing joint problems

Etc. etc etc.. the list goes on and on.

<o>

</o> So if you’re afraid of surgery, realize the reason you are doing this procedure and that the relative risk from a serious adverse reaction is low, compared to the risk you would be taking by not getting the surgery.

<o></o>

The choice is clear. I was petrified of surgery. But the weeks leading up to it, I pictured myself as a 45 year-old man on 9 medications and finally dying of a heart attack (probable). Then, I tried to think about the 45 year old (healthy) on 0 medication with a slipped band (holy sh*t, this is nothing compared to the other me).

Good luck, and its ok to be afraid. But try to be afraid for the right and probable reasons.

<o>

</o>

I totally agree with you! I am a nurse and have also seen what weight will do to you eventually. I am on so many medications right now I would have to stop and count them to actually tell you how many. I have 3 stents in my arteries, I am borderline diabetic, and I have sleep apnea. Even though I haven't had the surgery at this time, I know it will save me from myself if I get it done. Yes, it is scary, but the alternative is even worse. I've lost 86 lbs on my own, but I am starting to slip already. I don't want to be another statistic for obesity, so I'm very willing to have the surgery done!

Thank you Snowhard, I really needed to read your post. You are right the affects of weight are far worse than the surgery. Mind you for me I think I am more scared of the anastethic(sp?). I have never had a general so it is really a case of the unknown for me, not my favourite place to be.

My sister pointed out that it is the case of not being in complete controil, which does make sense, never saw myself as a control freak though, but it certainly hit home when she said it lol.

Thank you again

Suzannex

The way that I see it, for 30 somthing years, I've not been able to control my weight myself. I'm now deciding to let someone control it for me.

Thank you Snowhard, I really needed to read your post. You are right the affects of weight are far worse than the surgery. Mind you for me I think I am more scared of the anastethic(sp?). I have never had a general so it is really a case of the unknown for me, not my favourite place to be.

My sister pointed out that it is the case of not being in complete controil, which does make sense, never saw myself as a control freak though, but it certainly hit home when she said it lol.

Thank you again

Suzannex

The anestethic is really not dangerous at all. Your chances of having a complication as a result are very very very low. Ask anyone on this board if they have had a complication as the result of anestesthetic, I guarantee it will be very very small % of people (probably under 1/100,000, maybe 1/million)..

It doesn't hurt! All that happens is you lie on the table while they inject medicine into you. I actually closed my eyes during the entire event so I would feel like its more of a natural transition.

And I don't feel you're losing control. Your instructing the physician to do this to you,and you are in complete control of your decision.

Relax, after its over, you will realize how easy it was.

I think this thread is particularly important for those pre-bandsters who are hesitant about getting banded because they fear needing a revision surgery at some point in the future. That was definitely me, pre-band. I was ok with succombing to surgery one time, but for whatever reason, thinking that I might have to have a second surgery at some point kept me from committing to getting banded.

At some point (and I certainly feel this way post-band) I realized that surgery -- even if it has to be done more than once -- is just one day and a few days of recovery. It's NOTHING compared to staying 300+ lbs for a lifetime (and a shorter lifetime, to boot). Let's see, so I stay 300+ lbs the rest of my life and my life is cut short by 20 years and the quality of the years I get is not maximized, or I get the band and live a long healthy life, but POSSIBLY for 3 days for a revision surgery and recovery if needed.

Check, please.

A friend of mine you was recently banded said "the surgery is the easy part, learning to live with the band is the challenge."

Also, when I told her I wasn't worried about having to change my eating patterns, becasue I'd managed to live as a vegan for two years, she laughed and said "this is much easier than being vegan!"

I am sure it will all work out fine, just the pre surgery jitters. The only time I have had to deal with a general was when my son had to go in for an op. He woke up as he fell asleep extremely grouchy, it took him ages to come out of it!

Is anyone having trouble with a page coming up with 'being hacked by psh?' nothing in the actual page?

Sx