Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Packaging And Labeling

I’ve started my pre-preop diet.. at least 7 days of record keeping before the visit to the nutritionist - eating better, smaller portions, etc. I’ve been making Soups, grilling meats and veggies, etc. I now have bags and containers of measured and ready to eat meals. Great right? Yeah maybe except - Some I can tell what they are, but others – I don’t have a clue! Things in baggies are easy..I’ll start writing on the bag with a marker, but what about containers? I don’t want to write on reusable containers. Does anyone have a system that works or some great ideas so I don’t have to recreate the wheel?

Thanks for your help.

More Good Times

Put a piece of tape on the container and write on the tape.

I’ve started my pre-preop diet.. at least 7 days of record keeping before the visit to the nutritionist - eating better' date=' smaller portions, etc. I’ve been making Soups, grilling meats and veggies, etc. I now have bags and containers of measured and ready to eat meals. Great right? Yeah maybe except - Some I can tell what they are, but others – I don’t have a clue! Things in baggies are easy..I’ll start writing on the bag with a marker, but what about containers? I don’t want to write on reusable containers. Does anyone have a system that works or some great ideas so I don’t have to recreate the wheel?

Thanks for your help.

More Good Times[/quote']

Oh I'm good at this. Tape builds up as you reuse the containers and you need to really scrub to get it off. My son has a feeding disorder so I puree special foods for him in large batches and freeze, then package in plastic containers.

I use a magic marker (thin) and those little sticker dots that are different colors (about an inch in diameter) which you can buy in the misc isle for nothing at the grocery store (they call them price stickers or garage sale stickers). Place the sticker on the lid by the way, not on the body of the food in the container because that will collect ice on it (just a dusting but enough to ruin your sticker). The stickers come off with a quick soak in the sink or I actually just put another on top if it does not fall off at the first wash...they eventually do come off easily. They're much lower on the glues than tape is. Write an abbreviated version of the name on the sticker.

I try to stack in the freezer by other same items so it's easier to grab a mix when I stock up the fridge to thaw. My foods for him all have vegis and extra Protein as well as fats and calorie additives so even home made, when it's blended it's all basically gray sludge looking so the sticker system I use had to be perfect. It took me a few trys :) But now I'm a pro.

"Put a piece of tape on the container and write on the tape."

OK smart guy! Yes I'm the person who said I really like your straightforward responses! =] Guess I'll have to eat this one!

I was hoping for a bit more creative ... at least more specific.. I'm sure scotch would peel off in freezer, duct would leave goop on the container.. maybe masking but betting it peels too.

Just thought there might be an easier way that had not occurred to me.

I guess a reply of any kind is better than none so thank you very much!! =]

More Great Times !!

"Put a piece of tape on the container and write on the tape."

OK smart guy! Yes I'm the person who said I really like your straightforward responses! =] Guess I'll have to eat this one!

I was hoping for a bit more creative ... at least more specific.. I'm sure scotch would peel off in freezer' date=' duct would leave goop on the container.. maybe masking but betting it peels too.

Just thought there might be an easier way that had not occurred to me.

I guess a reply of any kind is better than none so thank you very much!! =']

More Great Times !!

hey did i write in invisible ink lol

If you don't like the tape or the dot sticker idea. There is a website where you can buy freezer labels in rolls of 500. I used them years ago they worked great, didn't peel off and didn't leave any adhesive goo behind. The labels stick to just about anything. They still have them and they are on sale even! :D Here's the link if you are interested:

http://www.wdrake.com/WalterDrake/DisplayItem.aspx?id=303315&ICMP=Search

What I actually do is buy disposible deli containers. I get mine from websturaunt.com.

I really like doing it this way because I can proportion everything and can grab & go.

I have 1oz, 2oz, 4oz, 8oz, & 32oz containers

Also if I can buy pre portioned I try to do that.

Just out of curiosity, what kinds of foods are you making that you can't identify?

Soups, broth, blended foods... If I have extra, I pour in a container and drop them in the freezer... now I have 10-12 containers which I can't tell what they are. I'm trying to modify my way of cooking and eating now before preop and surgery. I didn't used to have leftovers!! I cook for one - me and usually it's only one meal and it's gone. I work so am trying to cook more and pack a good lunch instead of doing fast food. Just trying to make some of the changes now. Thanks BB. I appreciate all you comments. Loved the one.. sometimes what I say gets someone off the ledge...sometimes it pushes them over! =]

What I actually do is buy disposible deli containers. I get mine from websturaunt.com.

I really like doing it this way because I can proportion everything and can grab & go.

I have 1oz, 2oz, 4oz, 8oz, & 32oz containers

Also if I can buy pre portioned I try to do that.

Love this... Nice to cook for just me so this would work well. I need the grab and go. Thanks OTR

Thanks Iggy and LosingIt... I even have some of those dots I'll try first then may have to order. This weekend I'm thawing out off the mystery items, using what's identifieable/useable and starting fresh!

Thanks all.