Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi All, I'm Lei. I'm new to the board. Obviously :) And new to the bariatric surgery program at Geisinger Medical Center in Pennsylvania. I haven't been green lighted yet, just attended my first class and have made the decision to go forward with the vertical gastric sleeve a few days before the class. Don't get me wrong, it's not like I made the decision over night (I suspect, not a lot of us have!). I've been struggling with my weight my whole life, for the most part and have been considering surgery as an intervention for the past 6 years. I guess you could say the "straw that broke the camel's back" was my recent trip to Europe. I was boarding a plane from Dublin to London w/ Ryanair (1st row) and the lap belt BARELY snapped into place. I almost broke down crying and didn't want to speak to my husband the remainder of the flight (he understood, bless his heart). All of the moments came flooding back to me.. my wedding, seeing myself in my dress and being disgusted, trying to shave my legs in the shower and having to pull a balancing act.. all the times I broke down crying in department stores because my size was "snug" or just didn't fit anymore. It was that moment that I decided enough was enough.

Current health issues I'm dealing with:

PCOS (Polycystic Ovary Syndrome)

Metabolic Syndrome (Pre-Diabetic w/ insulin resistance, carry my weight around my midsection, and have an all around "slow metabolism" (my awesome Endocrinologist puts it in air quotes, it's brilliant!))

Chronic back pain

Trouble sleeping (not diagnosed as sleep apnea, but I wake up CONSTANTLY with numb limbs and just all around discomfort because of my size)

I had my gallbladder removed in 2008 for gallstones and I've more recently had to have a colonoscopy for digestive issues. They didn't find anything remarkable in the colonoscopy, but they did remove a 4mm polyp from my Sigmoid colon. I'm a vegetarian and I restrict my dairy consumption (Forks over Knives!). I was exercising 3x week at the height of my efforts, but have since stopped. It's very discouraging when nothing is happening! I gave the exercise and strict diet about 6 months this go round with very little results. I'm 29 years old.

I suspect that my friends from work are getting sick of me yammering on about how excited I am to get rolling on with the program and how excited I am to MAYBE be slimmer and healthier. Which brings me here. :)

I look forward to getting to know some fellow "sleevers" and learning about your stories of success!

Well im glad you here and you can yammer all you want about anything and everything! welcome to the group! if you need anything just ask! :)

Wow! Surgery is coming up for you huh?! Approaching fast! Are you ready?

Nice to meet you btw :)

Yes it is coming up fast, i have pre op testing monday the 22 of Oct. And then Ill go shopping for things and I should be ready! It still hasnt hit me yet! Im wondering when it will.