Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tolerating and not Tolerating

I am reading here that folks pre-band can eat fish, meat, chicken, cottage cheese. However, post-band they can no longer tolerate it. By tolerate, do you mean it won't 'go down', or they just can't eat it, b/c it makes them sick? Cause I'll tell you what - I hope that post-band I can't tolerate, Oreo's, snickers, Ben & Jerry's, cheese, etc. hehehe Seriously, I'm curious about this. I LOVE seafood; and to think that after surgery I won't be able to 'tolerate' it upsets me a little.

BTW - I'm not a 'sweets' person for the most part, just 1 time a month. But cheese???? Fuhgedaboudit!

I am reading here that folks pre-band can eat fish, meat, chicken, cottage cheese. However, post-band they can no longer tolerate it. By tolerate, do you mean it won't 'go down', or they just can't eat it, b/c it makes them sick? Cause I'll tell you what - I hope that post-band I can't tolerate, Oreo's, snickers, Ben & Jerry's, cheese, etc. hehehe Seriously, I'm curious about this. I LOVE seafood; and to think that after surgery I won't be able to 'tolerate' it upsets me a little.

BTW - I'm not a 'sweets' person for the most part, just 1 time a month. But cheese???? Fuhgedaboudit!

Hi Sheri,

I wonder if what you have been reading are posts by folk who may be overfilled and cannot tolerate any solid foods at present. Everyone has food they can no longer tolerate, bread and rice seem to be a biggies; in fact there is a thread somewhere about that. But many other problems with the solid Proteins seem to be related to trying to eat food that is too dry or eating too big a bite.

You'll have a good while after banding before solids are back in your diet. Take it slow and follow the doc's advice.

Good luck,

Jo Ann

It has to do with textures and tightness of your particular band. Also, how quickly you try to eat and the bite size associated. I have found that textures such as lobster, scallops, some fish if overcooked can be a real obstacle. Lobster was a big no-no for me. I think I got 2 bites and knew right away that was my last. That rubbery texture just doesn't 'give' going down. Shrimp is the same type of texure, but generally, I've had no problem. Probably due to the size of bites and proper chewing.

With good restriction, I had a real problem with fresh pineapple as well. Again, the fibrous texture. You just cannot chew it til it's a liquid. Canned was fine.

Scrambled eggs are one food that will surprise you. You 'think' because they're sort of soft, they should be the optimum food. I'm here to tell you they 'settle' in the band, due to their texture and the funnel is stopped up before you know it. Many bandsters simply give up on scrambled eggs, or learn to add cottage cheese or something to make the texture more suitable for the band. I learned to smash them with a fork - like I would for my babies, and even then, small, small, bites and wait and see. '

English peas was one of my first stop signs as well. The skin on such things will sometimes stop you in your tracks.

bread and rice definitely swell and can make your life miserable. I can eat them both today, with caution, but with full restriction, I learned to avoid them at all cost. Plus, they are what caused me to need the band in the first place.

The band will take you on a journey. Things early on will be one way, then, as you move through different restrictions, etc, they will change. 3 yrs out, I can eat most anything I want and far more than I should. Never think this band will cause you NEVER to be able to eat any one thing ever again. It's just not true. But, the whole point is to learn to avoid those foods and the volumes which got us here in the beginning.

You'll do fine.. :)

You guys are the best!!!!

You're right; the breads are what got me here, so knowing I may not be able to 'tolerate' them - that's a good thing I suppose.

Seafood seems to be one of the easiest Proteins for me. I love crab cakes, or shrimp, scallop and crab cakes. Flounder and salmon are good as well.

Chicken breast is a bit of a problem since my second fill.

Rice, Pasta and bread are completely out of the picture, which is probably for the best.

Hello Sheryl Lynn,

I am over a year out and I cannot understand when people say they can no longer eat or tolerate certain things either...:noidea: ...biggest mystery of banding I guess.

However, I am pretty tight at this moment I have 2.7ccs in my 4cc band and have CAN eat ANYTHING I WANT...no food I cannot eat that I ate before I got my band. There are foods that I CHOOSE not to eat often because they are fattening like bread, Pasta and potatoes.

But my band does not send to the ladies room each and every time I eat meat, I just follow the simple rules of taking pea size bites and chewing well, I don't have to chew many times either just like a normal person would fully chew their food when eating...no magic just real simple and I DO NOT EAT AND DRINK with my meals otherwise I would probably have some embarrasing moments. I have slimed many times, but not on food on crystal lite in the mornings when I am tightest and I have to have my liquids at room temperature at this time since anything cold will further restrict the band around the esaphagus.

When my band was overfilled, I could not barely eat ANYTHING...not only meat, but I just could not eat without pain, my band does not discriminate on certain foods, if I can eat solids I can eat all foods...

By the way I looooooooove my band..:biggrin1:

Take Care.