Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

This doesn't work??? I am self pay, but I.also don't want such loose skin that I need 20k.for cosmetic. I have been on thyroid med for a year and wonder how that will play into things. I was 215 and gain 45 pounds in 1 month a yr ago.when my thyroid acted up for first time. I was eating and exercising properly, so frustrating. No one in my family is overweight, they don't get it. They arent supportive and just say same things eat better workout more. well clearly hasnt worked for me for 33 years. I am terrified this will not work, or the loose skin or being pregnant afterwards, and then just needing more money so that I can look in the mirror. it is about getting healthy and making sure that I don't develop any health problems right now I have none... but I don't want handfuls of sagging skin....

At 215 and 33 years old, I think you will be OK. Why because you have not been heavy for that long and your skin has not stretched for a long amount of time. I am 46 years old started at 250 and have 0 excess skin. As a matter of fact I am starting to see my 6 packab muscle. I recommend for you to exercise, watch what you eat and you will be just fine.

Was 215 before throid mayhem yr ago, then gained 45 in one month (august 2011) & well 10 since then, im at 270, 5'8, looking at a sleeve...cant find doc i like....im so happy for u, maybe if I go through with it I'll find me a local workout buddy. I probably will go through it because I'm scared to think how much I will weigh a year or 2 from now if I don't

I'm 48 and was self pay also. You have youth on your side so the skin thing may not be too bad. In any case, plastics can be done for way less that 20k if you look in the right places (ie. not in the States). Concentrate on losing the weight and getting healthy first and worry about looking in the mirror second. Being healthy, IMO, is far more important in the long run than how you look. I started my "plastics" fund the day of my surgery ! If I need it, I'll have it. If I don't, I'll be taking a nice vacation as my new thin, healthy, happy, confident self so it's a win/win either way. :D

My surgeon was Dr. Hugh Babineau in Tyler, Tx. I researched and researched before deciding on him. He's the Chief of Bariatrics at his hospital, which is a Center of Excellence, his staff is awsome, and I've had zero complaints or complications. He was a 3 hour drive from me but SO worth it. His cash price is $11995.00.

I'm using Dr. Babineau too but his price has gone up--$12,495. As much as it sucks to pay full price it's really nice to just cut through the BS and go straight to the front of the line. Although I've been researching for months my first consultation was last Thursday--my surgery is scheduled 18 days later. I am really excited but man I am getting anxious the closer it gets.

I'm using Dr. Babineau too but his price has gone up--12' date='495. As much as it sucks to pay full price it's really nice to just cut through the BS and go straight to the front of the line. Although I've been researching for months my first consultation was last Thursday--my surgery is scheduled 18 days later. I am really excited but man I am getting anxious the closer it gets.[/quote']

I'm going to be self pay also (I'm in NC) but have not had my doctor appointment yet. I'm worried about all the test I may have to pay for before I get the surgery. I know every doctor is different but what kind of tests (X-rays etc.) did you have to pay for before you had the surgery?

He ordered basic blood work & an EKG but that was all covered in the total amount for self pay (12,495). I have insurance so my PCP ( who is also a sleever & down 149 lbs) went ahead & did a full set of labs for baseline so we can see my progress in things like my sugar & cholesterol & filed that on my insurance. The self pay amount covers everything with my doctor.

I was self pay. In Dallas I paid $12,200 out the door. Are we lucky to live in Texas that has so many great surgeons that do this surgery for a very reasonable price?? I think so!

I have been overweight all my life and my skin is saggy anyway. I can be heavy and have it sag or normal weight and have it sag. I know either way I'm probably going to have saggy skin. I'm 52 and know it won't bounce back as well. Oh well.

I'll take normal weight and saggy skin if I must. :) At least my skin will match my boobs! :P