Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I Loosing Fast Enough? (Got The Sleeve At 154#)

When my band was urgently removed, my surgeon said I could get the sleeve surgery as soon as my body was healed. I was 104lbs at the time, but my low weight was only because of medical complications. I would have had my sleeve surgery ASAP, but I can't afford it. I am now becoming obese.. Go figure, huh?

So.. Some exbanders do start at a lot lower weight in order to prevent the health problems they so want to avoid going back to

When my band was urgently removed, my surgeon said I could get the sleeve surgery as soon as my body was healed. I was 104lbs at the time, but my low weight was only because of medical complications. I would have had my sleeve surgery ASAP, but I can't afford it. I am now becoming obese.. Go figure, huh?

So.. Some exbanders do start at a lot lower weight in order to prevent the health problems they so want to avoid going back to

I see that now and it makes perfect sense. I was just a little surprised.

My concern is will this be the latest trend for already skinny models?

Too late. The lapband had gained a lot of popularity in the modeling community. The only negative (in their minds) was trying to conceal the port on their very low BMI bodies.

The sleeve has taken its place and is commonly performed on models & aspiring models. Typically done in Thailand.

Too late. The lapband had gained a lot of popularity in the modeling community. The only negative (in their minds) was trying to conceal the port on their very low BMI bodies.

The sleeve has taken its place and is commonly performed on models & aspiring models. Typically done in Thailand.

Really? Oh man...I truly can be clueless at times... This information just depresses me. I think I'll put my rose colored glasses back on. :-)

Wow, I can't think of any reputable Dr that would do surgery on someone just for them to lose #34. But that's just me.

Wow, you sound jealous. Get over yourself. A good surgeon looks at all the options, and makes the decision. I have a question for you? How could you let yourself get so obese that you would need the surgery anyways? Maybe you should stop telling all of us what is right and not right and be happy for someone that is trying to change their lives.

RE: Surgery for models

It's better than anorexia. Better hope than there isn't anorexia or bulimia isn't mixed up in those people's heads along with the surgery. That could be a bit unhealthy.

I'm with you Doxie. I'm putting the rose colored glasses on and thinking this surgery is to help people with a debilitating problem and not to help keep someone super skinny to sell weird clothing and perfume.

I guess it's up to them in the end.

35# to lose? That would be far less expensive and pain free just to do one of the typical diets like WW or Jenny Craig. I hope you don't interpret this as talking out of both sides of my mouth, just surprised. Getting WLS was literally a life saver for me and required months of prep work in addition to a decision to be committed to a new lifestyle.

well good for you, we all have our own reasons for doing it, and some of us arent big fat heifers

well good for you' date=' we all have our own reasons for doing it, and some of us arent big fat heifers[/quote']

Huh, why be nasty about it? I already said I did not intend to offend, just surprised. I guess talking about other diet systems really touches a nerve with some people. I've never had any issue with them, some worked for me but the weight did come back due to some stress eating on my part. Hence my reason for being here. Anyone can attest that my 300 posts have always been friendly and good natured; I am not intending to change that now.

sticks, You are probably going to get a warning on that post. You replied to an opinion. You returned with some anger there. I'd remove it before the moderator does.

You make some good points, but to this point I want to say....the OP went to Mexico I believe, making most of those hurdles you mentioned unnecessary. Most of those hurdles are insurance related if I'm not mistaken.

I would think for them it would be worse since they can't afford it and have to go through their insurance.

I would think for them it would be worse since they can't afford it and have to go through their insurance.

Not sure if that's the case here....if you read her other posts on the forum, she's Mexican, lives in Mexico and money is no object.

I am just repeating what she's posted. My rose colored glasses are firmly on my face.

Well, stickks ...aren't you just a peach! I bet no one ever accused you of having an abundance of couth.

Bottom line..if this is what she thinks she needs to be happy..its her choice.

But I don't think you'll find it loosing 35 pounds..its probably something on the inside that hurts. You don't have to be perfect sweety..its too much of a burden in our lives body and spirit..

Agreed!

well good for you' date=' we all have our own reasons for doing it, and some of us arent big fat heifers[/quote']

Well isn't that the pot calling the kettle fat. You need to go.

I don't think anyone who is "shaking their head" in disbelief is angry at the original poster. I think a lot of people who have posted or reading this topic are wondering (as some have already stated) why would a doctor do this when there are other alternatives (jc and ww for example) another doctor would have suggested. Then I think there are some who are a bit shocked how many hoops with their doctors' date=' insurance companies, etc. they had to jump through and some still be denied a life-saving surgery and then see someone (anyone) do it for a cosmetic reason. It just happened to be a person on this forum. I have no anger for her, and she's probably not the first one to do it. If she wishes to tell her story, that is entirely up to her. I hope she achieves her goals.

Please see the other side of why people are questioning her so closely. I see people getting denied this surgery every day. I see the struggles of people trying to jump through the hoops of the insurance company and psychologists, etc. and see the frustration. They're exhausted, mentally and physically, of trying to get through. I think seeing this post could make one exasperated, having so many obstacles in their way and the frustration of having to lose at least 50 pounds seems like climbing Mt. Everest.

I don't see people hating on the original poster, I think everyone here is more sensitive to weight issues than most forums. Any sort of criticism seems to turn into a "you're just saying it because you hate fat people now". We're all here because we had the sleeve (or going to), and we are connected for that.[/quote']

Very well said.