Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Who has had the band for a long time?

I am considering the lapband surgery. I guess one of my fears is that something will go wrong and I will have to have the band removed. I know that the procedure is relatively new to the US. 2001 I believe is when it was approved by the FDA. So, how many out there have had the band for 2 years or more? Any problems? I would like to hear from some people who have long time experience with the lapband. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks!

I have been banded for almost 2 years (11/29/04). I have had no significant problems. I have had to have small unfills (twice) because I developed reflux from being overly restricted. Other than those two non-events (each took about 5 minutes in the doctor's office), everything has been GREAT.

I've lost 97 pounds and look/feel like a new person.

My husband is also banded, just 2 weeks after me. He has lost 76 pounds and his Diabetes meds have been cut by 3/4.

post-204296-13813134180091_thumb.jpg

Here is a photo (before and after) of a woman in my local support group. She was banded 7 years ago in New Orleans, as part of the FDA trials. She has lost 210 pounds.

Pictures often speak louder than numbers, where weight loss is concerned.

post-204296-13813134180464_thumb.jpg

Hi,

I have been banded 3 years and 4 months. I have had some problems with pouch dilation, but had an endoscopy recently and everything is back to normal and I am losing again. The problems with the band happen, but none of them are life threatening and I am still happy with my decision.

Babs in TX

334/190 ish

I've been banded 3 years and 2 months now, and I've also had no significant problems. I'm unfilled now and will probably stay that way due to reflux issues, but I don't consider this a problem as long as my band continues to help me maintain my 130+ lb loss.

thank you for the info! You all seem to being doing great! I am almost convinced...but of course I still will research and ask questions until I am totally confident that this is the best thing for me.

Banded 3 yrs and just over 4 months. Rebanded due to slippage at about one year out. Currently have questionable esophageal issues, but still banded and I still have enough restriction to help me to maintain my 75lb loss.

Would I do it again? Yes, probably.

Here is a photo (before and after) of a woman in my local support group. She was banded 7 years ago in New Orleans, as part of the FDA trials. She has lost 210 pounds.

Pictures often speak louder than numbers, where weight loss is concerned.

Hijack! How is Cynthia doing? Last I heard, she had a small slip and she had gotten married. Great gal!

It took me 3 years of research to get banded because I was worried about the possibility of having to have a revision surgery. It's a legitimate risk and I understand your concern -- revision surgeries are sometimes required with the band. But in those 3 years, I gained another 75 lbs. and I became worried enough about my health to have that outweigh my concerns about potentially needing a revision surgery.

Now, post-band, what I can tell you is if I have a regret, it's that I didn't get the band in year 1 of research rather than year 3. The surgery was so minimally invasive and such an easy recovery compared to carrying around the extra weight I was (and still am) carrying. I can seriously tell you that if I had to have surgery every year for the rest of my life to maintain the health of my band (which is absurd -- of course I won't need surgery that often -- I probably won't need it at all), I would STILL do it in a flash. I feel like a new person and I'm only 1/2 way to goal.

My advice is get banded. If you need a revision (and you probably won't), so be it. It'll just be one day out of your new thin life. I wish someone had said that to me 3 years ago. Then again, maybe they did and it just didn't resonate. Maybe it's part of getting ready to accept the change that you'll go through emotionally and physically. I don't know.

Good luck on your journey!

thanks for your input Julie. So if you do get re-banded...you have to pay all over again? I suppose the answer would be yes...but it just seems like so much. But as you say...you can't put a price on health. If I were EXTREMELY over-weight...I would not bat an eye. I am about 60-70 pounds over weight...which is enough to be concerned about. I am still struggling with the possibility that I can lose it another way. I can lose it....but whether I can keep it off is the real question. Since I have always been chunky (but never this heavy)...I wonder if I could ever maintain weight loss unless I did this. I will be self-pay because my insurance won't pay for this. The thought of doing it over is something I don't want to think about! But if I did lose and felt wonderful...I guess I would find the money somehow!

I ve had the band for more than 5 years. I have the Bio Enterics Inamed 4 c.c.Band. Had no problems at all. Just do my checkups every six months. I recommend the band 100 %.

I'm a half-veteran, half-new Bandster technically.

Originally I was banded over 5 1/2 years ago here in the USA, in the intial FDA trial before the LapBand was approved here.

But as my surgeon said, it shouldn't even count because due to events, I was never, ever filled. That's a long story.

Anyway my original Old-School band is still (knock wood) intact but I had my port replaced to a newer low-profile port with new tubing last year. So I have my 2001 band and 2005 port.

Remember that in Europe, Australia, and Mexico - banding has been performed for more than 10 years. In Australia, more than 90% of weight loss surgeries are Lap-Bands. Hopefully the U.S.A will join the rest of the world in realizing that this is a efficient, safe option for long term weight control.

So don't worry!

that was a good question phenry. i've had the same concerns. I was supposed to be banded on july 25th and post-poned the surgery due to all my fears. (hello to all the july bandsters!!! :) anyway, i am going to try this one more time because the reality is i am having a hard time keeping the weight off on my own. So, good luck! and thanks to everyone who gave the reassurance to go ahead and do it.

Almost 4 1/2 years. No problems. Slight reflux with a tight fill a couple of years ago but it loosened up and bit and things are good. I'm pray that I stay this complication-free.