Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Had A Date And My Insurance Wants 6 Documented Diet

They said at first it wasn't needed and now they requested it..I was all cleared and ready to go no they wanna change it..I only have two months documented mediacl records having to do with weight..any one know any tricks with the insurance

All I had to do was "creative writing". I made up a journal, recorded each week my weight, loss or gain, and like just a line or two of how I felt and what I did for the week. It was not very detailed. I wrote that I was following weight watchers. I do not think the insurance company will verify anything. That's just my experience. Good luck.

Mine requested 6 months of documented diet, so I had to go to my dr every month for a weigh in. Every insurance company is different, but you're best off doing exactly what they want, otherwise they may decide to not approve the procedure at all.

Did your surgeon sufest you do that in place of the documentation. By a doctor and it worked?..or did they say up front that would work..because I will totally do that ..I have three months to show but not 6

.can you explain what they told you so I can tell my person that is handling the insurance..thanks

Wow that sounds fairly draconian on the part of the insurance company. I only had to give a list if all the diets i tried and failed at over the years with starting and ending weights.

All I had to do was "creative writing". I made up a journal' date=' recorded each week my weight, loss or gain, and like just a line or two of how I felt and what I did for the week. It was not very detailed. I wrote that I was following weight watchers. I do not think the insurance company will verify anything. That's just my experience. Good luck.[/quote']

hate to be the devils advocate....but thats kinda insurance fraud. :(

I agree my insurance required a letter from my pcp. It is fraud it may come back and bite you, pls do the right thing I would hate for u to come so close and lose out forever think about it, never make a decision based on emotion.

I'm not sure what all of you are talking about..I was just looking for tricks in getting them to do it ..or easier ways..I'm not looking to lie. You know tips for what works..no one said anything about insurance fraud..wow

Wow that sounds fairly draconian on the part of the insurance company. I only had to give a list if all the diets i tried and failed at over the years with starting and ending weights.

Its actually pretty common. I had to do the 6 month diet. I wasn't required to lose any weight, only not to gain weight.

Did your surgeon sufest you do that in place of the documentation. By a doctor and it worked?..or did they say up front that would work..because I will totally do that ..I have three months to show but not 6

.can you explain what they told you so I can tell my person that is handling the insurance..thanks

That was a requirement by my insurance company (United healthcare). My surgeon wouldn't do the surgery without me losing 6% of my weight- to ensure the liver shrinks to reduce the chance of complications. My insurance company would also allow documented proof of a diet by any other method within the last 3 years- Jenny Craig, registered dietician, Weight Watchers, etc... as long as it showed 6 consecutive months of weigh ins. I'd recommend calling the insurance company, or even speaking with the insurance coordinator at your doctors office to get the full list of all requirements so another wrench isn't thrown in at the last minute.

I'm not sure what all of you are talking about..I was just looking for tricks in getting them to do it ..or easier ways..I'm not looking to lie. You know tips for what works..no one said anything about insurance fraud..wow

I wasn't talking about you dear. Jayne mentioned her journal idea which technically would be pushing the line a bit close to the fraud side given you haven't been keeping one so far.

The six month thing is fairly common. You only have three more months to do which is better than the whole six and anything you do lose would get you closer to goal in the end :)

I hear ya girl! it's not fraud if you have been overweight the entire time! You are just documenting it after the fact. You never said anything about making up information! I know some insurance companies are stricter than others. I see no problem with writing down from memory all of your weightloss attempts...

All I had to do was "creative writing". I made up a journal' date=' recorded each week my weight, loss or gain, and like just a line or two of how I felt and what I did for the week. It was not very detailed. I wrote that I was following weight watchers. I do not think the insurance company will verify anything. That's just my experience. Good luck.[/quote']

This is what I was talking about. "Creative" can get you uninsured for life. I'd just caution against it is all.

OK..I'm 300 pounds ..no one gets like that in 6 months..LOL. I wrote down and it is the truth..I'm not trying to over dramatasize this either LOL..thanks for pointers everyone