Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Measuring And Weighing Liquids And Food

My first week out I was very careful to measure my 2oz of Clear Liquids but when it comes to drinking at 16 days out I don't really measure by the oz anymore and I sip through out the day on my Water or Crystal Light. I now how many oz are in the bottle or my cup but I'm not as careful with the 4oz rule I am at now. Same goes for my Protein Shakes. I just sip on them for like an hour until they are gone which is 11oz. Or if I just want a little I will only drink half and save the rest for later. My point is, is it bad that I am freely drinking through out the day? When it comes to meats I am more cautious. Small can of tuna is 3oz and last night when I had chicken breast I did weigh the piece and it came in just under 8oz so I ate half of it. I'm not going crazy weighing and measuring I'm just letting my body take the lead especially when it comes to liquids. I am sure not to drink before, during and after meals tho!What is every one else doing?

It is wise to drink fluids throughout the day but make sure your getting in your 64 oz to prevent dehydration. I am 1 year out and I I don't measure my foods like I probably should, but I use a dessert size plate or bowl and that limits the amount that I eat. I also listen to my stomach. I eat slow when possible so that my stomach can register when I'm full and that way I don't over eat. :)

I am 2 weeks post op today and yep guess where i am. In the hospital for not getting in my fluids dehydration and pancreatitis going on day 2. Not fun and painful! Just be sure to drink drink drink!!!

Absolutely nothing wrong with freely drinking. liquids are not affected by your restriction.

Keep measuring your food though.

Gabby899!!! Oh my! You got me chugging my Water right now! How much were you drinking?? I do try hard to hit my goals but some days I do better than others. It's weird cause I had this surgery so I wouldn't have this constant urge to consume and now I have to make sure almost every minute I'm drinking something or not drinking something because I'm gonna eat! It's crazy! I hope you get better soon!

I would not gulp, and in my opinion I would avoind more than 6 oz or so in a 1/2 hour period. I seriously think it makes my tummy hurt.

Kelly I was trying to get my Protein Shakes in and am almost skipped Water. It's a vicious cycle! So I have to stay yet another night and feel like I'm back to square one! Blah

I have never been good about drinking enough Water, so I do have to measure my Water or I won't get it in. This is something I still struggle with, and I know my weight loss is better when I get my water in regularly.

I am a year out, and I had a big stall from March to September. In August, I bought a food scale and a bunch of tiny dishes. I went back to measuring portions of food, and it has been successful in helping me lose. I realized I was underestimating how much I was eating, so for me, the food scale is necessary in order to keep me losing.